Fuel Storage

bdale

Jul 24, 2016
N.C.
What do you all use to store your fuel, I was thinking of getting a 55 gallon poly drum or some thing similar to store it in. Thought about putting it behind a garage building I have and setting up some thing with a manual pump.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Depends on how much you use.

I wouldn't want it hanging around too long, and in cold climates you want to be mindful of winter vs. summer blends.

We've had several guys here with algae problems this summer. I didn't know algae could even be a problem with diesel. If the poly is translucent, might be a concern if fuel is exposed to light.

For my little BX, just a 5 gallon can works.

Just some thoughts...

There are a few threads on storage, tanks, pumps etc. Try a search, might find some of them.

Best wishes!!

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
If you go through more then 10 gallons a week, I like those pickup truck bed mounted fuel storage tanks (kinda looks like a bed mounted tool box).
What is really nice about this set up is that you just drive to the filling station when you need to refuel the tank, and then you add a battery powered dispensing hose (or manual crank pump) so it's easy to fill the tractor.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I got 300g of fuel free several years ago and stored it in 55g drums outside. The drums let water in over time, and I made a mistake while pumping the last of the fuel causing a real fuel hassle in my zero turn mower. At a minimum I would suggest the barrel being in a shed with water block filtration.
My normal fuel handling is just using a 40g truck mounted transfer tank with water block filtration. I also use a Fil-Rite 12v pump with auto shut off nozzle to prevent over filling.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I got this hand pump for my 55 gal barrel I keep in a shed.
http://westechequipment.com/index.p...oto=12&zenid=4757595fd4cdbbc8032bd17da64fb723
I got the rotary pump and it is USA made !!! Very nice quality.
Effortless pumping. 8' hose with nozzle.
No complaints about it......I did get a filter for it...a NAPA Gold 4003 that screws inline fine. (like the service station gas line filters)
I put fuel treatment into mine just for luck.
Good Luck.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm lucky in that I have oil heat in my house, so I put a 12v pump with an auto shut-off nozzle just like a gas station, in my furnace oil tank.

Got tired of making a mess with cans all the time. Now I just pull into the car port, clip the power wire on the battery of the Kubota and fuel up.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Two five gallon Jerry cans... sufficient for a BX2230, my only diesel tractor.. and the Kubota is always topped off after use, keeping the tank full to minimize the chance of moisture condensation and subsequent bacteria/crud growth.

A couple of gas stations are a short ways up the road. When I get them refilled, another 5 gallon Jerry can for gasoline for the Ford and a 1 gallon Jerry for chainsaw mix gets filled at the same time. SeaFoam stabilizer gets added.

I used to store more, even had an underground for gasoline years ago that local FCX farm store filled for me, but after getting concerned with the mess I'd have if it ever leaked, I eventually stopped using it and had it dug up.

After having huge problems with the chainsaw getting crapped up from today's limited shelf life gasoline, the cans have tags on them that I write the date filled.. and don't let it sit in storage too long. If I haven't used all the gasoline after about 4 months max shelf time or when the diesel cans needs to be filled, the 5 gallon gas can gets dumped into my 4x4 Toyota and the 2 cycle gas/oil mix gets dumped on the old Ford tractor.. keeps the top end of the engine lubricated.

Last edited:

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I drive diesel trucks and have a dozer and backhoe as well as my L series. I have a 37 gallon transfer tank in the bed of my truck. If the equipment doesn't use it quick enough, it goes on the trucks and gets refilled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BigRed57

Equipment
L2350 4x4 land pride 4ft bush hog
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
I like to have some storage. I have a diesel truck, tractor, and mower. Doesn't take too long to go through 80-100 gallons. Plus we are having a shortage here in SC at the moment. Mt truck and tank gives me 135 gallons to have on hand.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
I found someone getting rid of a heating oil tank, so I picked that up. It only cost me the time and labor to help move it out of his basement.

It followed me home, I swear!

Took it off the truck and put it in its temp resting place.

Not sure exactly what I want to do with it. Build a shed for it? Perhaps just a simple roofed structure. Unsure yet.

I got a few more parts in today.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
If my memory is correct, that's a 275 gallon tank. My Dad was in the fuel oil business; I worked there in the summer time during high school and learned the capacity of all tanks and shapes by sight, that we used.

Somewhere around here I've still got a chart from those long ago days that converts inches of fuel to gallons for all the various shapes and sizes. I'll post it if I can find it... Handy for dip sticking the tank and knowing how many gallons you got.

Last edited:

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
If my memory is correct, that's a 275 gallon tank. My Dad was in the fuel oil business; I worked there in the summer time during high school and learned the capacity of all tanks and shapes by sight, that we used.

Somewhere around here I've still got a chart from those long ago days that converts inches of fuel to gallons for all the various shapes and sizes. I'll post it if I can find it... Handy for dip sticking the tank and knowing how many gallons you got.

It is indeed a 275gal tank. Good eye.

That would be helpful if you can locate. Its got a float on it, but am unsure of its accuracy or of it should really even be on there now that its an outside tank.

BCrouse

Jul 30, 2016
PA
BCrouse..let me buy that truck man!

Shes just an ol'2006 Chevy 3500 4dr dually diesel. Alway seems to be haulin something lately.

Me id prob sell it if someone hit the magic sell number, but the dog loves that truck. Youll have to take it up with him.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I found someone getting rid of a heating oil tank, so I picked that up. It only cost me the time and labor to help move it out of his basement.

It followed me home, I swear!

Took it off the truck and put it in its temp resting place.

Not sure exactly what I want to do with it. Build a shed for it? Perhaps just a simple roofed structure. Unsure yet.
I found these free plans for a shed I usd for my genorator.

Used deck screws for the front panel and studs so I could open it up and remove it if needed.
I also beefed up the front for roof support when I take the wall off.

Going to store fuel in there as well.

http://www.just-sheds.com/1201f.pdf

Ray

Last edited: