Fuel Storage - Made the jump

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
With all this Covid stuff the price of diesel here by me has dropped from $3 to under $1.90 a gallon. I ended up ordering a Arksen 30gal portable tank with a hand pump. I only have 2- 5gal plastic jugs now so a couple trips to the local Marathon to top it off. If it is dry, I will use around 40 gal/summer so I can make sure my second fill is around the time they go to the winter blend with anti-gel stuff added. I got it in black so I may get a couple rattle cans of Kubota Orange to make it match. I also want to get a few Diesel stickers or make them up to properly label the tank. A few people have complained on the quality of the hand pump but it looks like the manufacturer is quick to ship out a replacement, or I will just upgrade to an electric pump if mine fails. UPS says it will arrive Tuesday. I'll throw up a thread for unboxing, setup and first impressions

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Filling the tractor is a pain. I'm envious as I've been eyeing a solution along these lines. I haven't been able to stomach the price of these though. I'm anxious to hear how you like it.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
That is what my dad has, but I must confess I always thought it was 50 gal.

The fuel level float stopped working a few years after buying it. It was 2 pieces glued together and I guess eventually the diesel ate through it. The hand pump leaks now too.

He did buy a spin on cartridge filter for it last year. It just sits above the pump.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I may be in the minority...

But if I had to take my five gallon fuel containers to the station to fill them up, and bring them home only to lift them again to fill another container, before using the pump on that container to fill the tractors...

...I would just fill the tractors and not bother with anything else...;)

Multiple trips for fuel for me would eat up any savings when prices are low. AND with my luck, I would probably buy fuel before prices dropped.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Yeah I have a 500 gallon propane tank I got for $80 with a bad ouet valve to turn into a diesel tank.
I need to pour a pad for it and stuff, modify the tank a little, ect.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Diesel up here is $4 USD/USG. I just buy 2, 2.5G cans at a time,anything bigger is too heavy/awkward for me and I really don't burn through it fast, even with a very thristy forklift. While storing sounds good, I have no idea how long it'll last before going 'bad'.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The nice thing is the pump works both ways so you can pull from the 5gal container and pump into the tractor. I hate these govt fuel cans with the no spill spouts. Storage space is a premium and buying race jugs is an option but I end up tripping on them. This will slide nicely in a corner against the wall when not needed.

Diesel has dropped here from 3.25 to 1.80/gal. I would expect it to start heading north once States start going back to work.

Unit arrived today. No damage, nicely packed. Took me around 20 minutes to assemble. The only thing that I had to replace was the cheap screw clamp that came with it. Grabbed a spare and job done. I’ll fill it later today and see how it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I will use my FEL to get it in my bed and see how well I can secure it. If not I have a trailer with fairly high side rails I can strap it to and move it that way as well.

Long term plan is to get partial payment for field rent in diesel and have him top it off twice a year. As for multiple trips to fill it, yes for this initial fill. I am down to 3gal in my cans so I need multiple trips just to top off my B and fill the new container. Going forward if the farmer is not filling it, I'll just put the empty transfer cans in the bed and fill on my way home past the station when I'm out running errands. Have to drive by the station whenever I go to town so not a big deal

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The unit is too tall to be stable in the back of my truck so I did a couple transfer cans. Running the pump in reverse it empties 5 gal in a little over a minute. No messes.

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I went all out and bought one of those Harbor Freight $9.99 battery operated pumps ($14.99 at Canadian Tire). Uses 2 D batteries.

I put 2 of the 5 gallon jugs on a wheeled service cart, wheel it up along side, put the pump in the jug, other end in the tank, a wait 2 or 3 minutes to top up. Cheap, no spill and my back is very thankful. I should mention that I have the BX23S with a cab that makes trying to pour it in the hole a challenge in it's self.

These things work. I have one for diesel and one for my gas jugs.

LEs.