fuel starvation

nbmech

Equipment
L2550
Jul 6, 2011
ohio
Hi, I ran my L2550 out of fuel, even though the guage read 1/2 tank. Once I refilled the tank it ran for an hour or so then sputtered to a stop. Of course this happened out in the yard. I figured I clogged the filter and am in the process of replacing it. With the bowl off I opened the fuel shut off and no fuel is coming out. I assume I clogged the line from the tank to the filter?? What is my next step? Is the line easily accessible? Am I missing something??

Thanks for your help.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Perhaps there is a filter at the outlet of the tank too?

My Kubota has at least 2 fuel filters.
1) at outlet of fuel tank
2) on the engine just before injection pump

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Perhaps there is a "floaty" in the fuel tank that has plugged the fuel line. Blow into the fuel line from the filter end with some compressed air and see if you can dislodge it.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To get it out of the yard you may just be able to blow a little compressed air back through the fuel line into the tank, but be careful since fuel may start flowing out. Protect your grass if you don’t want it killed.

If the tank is metal it may be rusting on the inside or you may have algae growth or just some trash in the tank that is stopping the flow

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
With your symptoms I am inclined to suggest a different cause.

On many tractors the fuel tank can feed fuel to the injection pump by gravity under certain conditions. High fuel level in the tank, on flat level ground.

The mechanical or electric fuel pump is often described as a LIFT pump. Its job is to deliver fuel when the tank level is low, or the tractor is climbing a hill.

When your tractor is "running out of fuel" when the gauge shows about 1/2 a tank or you are climbing a hill and run out of fuel it is a big indicator that the lift pump is not working.

Dave

Reactions: 3 users

nbmech

Equipment
L2550
Jul 6, 2011
ohio
Thanks all, I was able to get it going by blowing into the fuel line. I drained all of the fuel and replaced it. I think it is a poly tank soit must be slime or sediment in the fuel. What is the best way to clean out the tank? How do I know if I have a fuel lifter pump?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Good you got it running again!

There are anti-algae additives to put into the tank, search for diesel biocide on this forum and you will find many suggestions on what to use.

To know if you have a lift pump you can follow the lines from the tank to the injection pump and see if there is one. I don’t know if you can see the lines on your tractor though. There is also an on line illustrated parts list that will show you at Kubota USA.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks all, I was able to get it going by blowing into the fuel line. I drained all of the fuel and replaced it. I think it is a poly tank soit must be slime or sediment in the fuel. What is the best way to clean out the tank? How do I know if I have a fuel lifter pump?
Here is the parts illustration showing the lift pump.

forum L2550 lift pump.jpg

Dave

nbmech

Equipment
L2550
Jul 6, 2011
ohio
Thanks all! The problem still persist. I’m confident that the tank has some crud in it. The tractor has sputtered to a stop three times now. Each time I removed the fuel filter and there is no fuel coming from the line until I blow air back Into the tank. The tractor runs for an hour or so the sputters to a stop again. Any guidance how I can get the junk out of the fuel tank once and for all? I’m not sure how much of a project s complete tank removal is. I was thinking drain the fuel, blow crud back into the tank, and use a shop vac To clean out the tank. I was also thinking of installing a T between the tank and filter so I could use air to push whatever it is back into the tank. That would be easier and cleaner than tearing the filter apart when this happens. Any thoughts?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Any guidance how I can get the junk out of the fuel tank once and for all?
The only sure way is removal and dumping, then a thorough cleaning. If you can get to the bottom of the tank you may be able to siphon out the culprit with a kerosene hand pump. Be careful you don't damage the sending unit. If you have a remote camera with a light that may help you see what it is, then grab it with a 3 jaw pick up tool. Could be an algae bloom or a small leaf.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Power Service makes a biocide to kill the algae. Power Service also makes, but i have never used, a tank cleaner. Get them at an auto parts store.