Fuel in oil

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I have a L245F.
When I check the oil level the oil is very thin and drips quickly off stick like diesel fuel. It also smells of diesel fuel to me. It exhausts white smoke on acceleration (fairly common I guess) and you can barely see thin foggy white smoke in right sunlight conditions at idle and you can tell how strong it smells when you catch a smell. Almost like its not burning up all the fuel. There is no sign of anything at blowby. I recently performed a compression check on all three cylinders and they were all high at 450, 445, and 460 psi.
Supposedly this tractor sat around outside for a pretty long period of time before I bought it. I know the tank had some water and trash in it before I cleaned it out and I changed the fuel filter so Im wondering if someone ran the motor with the excessive water and trash for long enough to cause some damage of some kind.
The motor sure sounds like it has a low end knock sound to it mostly at first start up but that could be just my hearing and maybe the cylinders getting over loaded and/or starved of fuel. Its getting harder to start as time goes on also. For the first time today it started to act like its missing (spit n sputter) a little at idle. I idled up a few seconds and it cleared up.
What should I check next, injectors, fuel pump, valve clearance ?

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Pull your injectors and take them to a shop to be tested. If one or more is not spitting a mist, but instead a stream, then the corresponding cylinder to the streaming injector can not combust it thus the unburnt fuel drips down the cylinder wall. Do this ASAP. You could do a minimal test of them yourself. Search "test injector" in here might lead you to some hints on how to do that. KEEP HANDS etc AWAY. This can be dangerous.

Anyway, Unburnt fuel cleans the lube off cylinder walls allowing them to get ruined so your problems will grow if you don't deal with this right.

While they are being tested/rebuilt adjust your valves. They too could be way out of wack allowing for poor combustion.

If injectors are not too bad and valves not too far off... then the issue well could be the injection pump itself.

PS- reinstall the injectors with new copper crush washers

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks for the help.
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me.
Seems like someone told me a short cut on how to check the valve clearance without referring to the timing marks<(pain). I believe they said to turn motor over slowly until you can feel the valves loosen in your hand and keep turning to go through all of them this method. Does that sound about right ?