Fuel in Bellhousing

duff1971

Equipment
Kubota L2002
Aug 26, 2020
Spartanburg, SC
I bought a 1983 Kubota L2002 from what I've found it is pretty much the same as the L275. I kept having fuel leak from the bell housing around the starter. I looked at my service manual and found that there was a drain plug on the bottom of the bell housing. I removed the plug and drained about 2 cups of fuel from the bell housing. I thought, ok someone spilled fuel at some point and it drained into the bell housing. I restarted the tractor thinking that things were all good. After about a minute fuel began to drip out of the bell housing again. I have checked everywhere externally IE: Tank, hoses, fuel injector pump and have found no leaks.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I bought a 1983 Kubota L2002 from what I've found it is pretty much the same as the L275. I kept having fuel leak from the bell housing around the starter. I looked at my service manual and found that there was a drain plug on the bottom of the bell housing. I removed the plug and drained about 2 cups of fuel from the bell housing. I thought, ok someone spilled fuel at some point and it drained into the bell housing. I restarted the tractor thinking that things were all good. After about a minute fuel began to drip out of the bell housing again. I have checked everywhere externally IE: Tank, hoses, fuel injector pump and have found no leaks.
Could that be hydraulic fluid? Or engine oil?

duff1971

Equipment
Kubota L2002
Aug 26, 2020
Spartanburg, SC
I wish it was. I use off road diesel. 100% diesel fuel. I read somewhere that this could possibly be caused by the fuel injection pump, I don't understand how that is possible. TY for the reply

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The parts illustrations are not very clear.

Where is the fuel tank in relation to the bell housing?

It looks to be in front of the steering wheel above the bell housing.

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Did you check the engine oil and make sure it isn't extremely over full with red diesel? If it is your mechanical lift pump probably failed.
If the oil level is ok, take a close look at the tank. My plastic tank rests on rubber blocks, which rests on the bell housing.

Last edited:

duff1971

Equipment
Kubota L2002
Aug 26, 2020
Spartanburg, SC
Yes, It is directly behind the gauge cluster above the bell housing. I have dried everything off, blew it down with an air hose. I watched the tractor run with no external leaks anywhere. TY Dave

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There probably is not any pump on that tractor other than the injection pump (and hydraulic fluid pump). The tank is well above the pump tucked under the dash if it is like my smaller L185.

The injection pump is near the front of the engine. Pretty distant from bell housing.

On my L185 the tank is metal, the fuel line runs from left side fuel tank drain to right side fuel filter connection. I don’t think the fuel filter has any passages that would leak on the engine side other than that fuel line connection. The tank is odd and has a hole for the steering shaft/housing to go through. There should be some type of bushing to help support the steering column. The tank is rigidly mounted to the tractor so sees a lot of vibration. If the steering wheel and column are used as a pull to get on tractor I would be suspicious of a leak there. Also my tank rusted through on the bottom from internal moisture. I would suggest that you remove steering wheel, get the dash off and get a good look at the tank and fuel lines since that should be the only source of fuel into the bell housing.

I do vaguely recall another thread with the similar problem but don’t recall the solution. I’ll see if I can find it.

Penguin

Equipment
L2002
Apr 6, 2022
USA
Two questions 1. did you find your leak source ? I just like reading these articles and seeing results.
2. you said you had a manual Where did that come from ?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The original poster has not been back on the site posting since the day he started the thread