Fuel gauge

Timman

Equipment
l6060
Apr 6, 2021
usa
Need some help. Purchased 2020 L6060 and have about 50 hours on it, the problem is, the fuel gauge keeps going to full. The dealer has worked on it several times and has been unable to correct the issue. When I driver the tractor, the fuel gauge will eventually go to full and stay there, if the tractor sits, it will go to the proper level. Dealer has replaced the sending unit, checked grounds, etc. If tractor sits even running, the gauge will normally read right. Its very strange issue on new machine, especially since its an analog gauge. Any input would help. thanks,

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My fuel gauge shows full until I'm down to 4 gallons our less and then it starts dropping. I have read other places that the fuel gauges seem to lack accuracy on the Kubotas. Well not completely true, when it shows empty, you are empty.

Last Saturday I was showing full, but I knew I hadn't fueled up in a few weeks, I was able to add five gallons and the gauge still showed full and I didn't overfill the tank.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't know the tractor but....
old skool analog gauges are simple,reliable,easy to work on..
+12--->gauge--->sensor---> ground
to get a 'full' reading,sensor is very low ohms.
so simple test, 'short' the sensor wire to ground.
Is this the SAME reading you get when it fails ?
normally shorting the sensor will show an 'over full' reading not 'full'.
since dealer replace the sending unit, I suspect a pinched, shorting wire when 'something' due to vibration pinches it,has cut the insulation and 'grounds' the wire.

Find the gauge to wire, follow it, all the way from gauge to sensor....there should be a 'pinch point'.
Had this happen to a brand new $3500 servo unit. eventually found the one, itty,bitty wire mashed between 2 mounting plates.... black wire, black plates, 'fun'..but found !

Reactions: 1 users

Timman

Equipment
l6060
Apr 6, 2021
usa
They have ohmed wires, cleaned connection, etc. When I first got the tractor it worked, dealer sssumed bad sending unit, of course that made no difference when replaced. Tech last night spend some time checking wires, connections, ground everything. I took tractor for grading dirt and GPH shows 5 gallons used, tank gauge went to full and stayed there. What is weird is that after a day or two the gauge may read right unitl i start using it again...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
High resistance usually gives a full reading on a gauge. If the sensing voltage is correct at the sensor, and the sensor resistance is correct throughout it’s full range (tested at the gauge).... then if operation of the tractor leads to a full indication ...even when the fuel level is low.... then the gauge is likely failed internally or grounding-out externally.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Sounds like an electrical gremlin somewhere but the intermittent ones are always the most fun to figure out.

Timman

Equipment
l6060
Apr 6, 2021
usa
They tested gauge on dash, when voltage applied it goes up and down correctly.

Timman

Equipment
l6060
Apr 6, 2021
usa
What is really absurd is that the old tractor 4730 that had digital, it worked fine. 60000$ machine with old school analog does not.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
WSM 'should' have a 'how to test' section....
still be nice to know if 'failed full' is the 'full mark' or 'over full'.

as for ' High resistance usually gives a full reading on a gauge '

analog gauges are by nature ,'current' devices,...so more current = great deflection
'high resistance' won't allow current flow, therefore very low reading

Reactions: 1 user

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Yep, a gremlin fer sure. I am located n the USA too. I'll swing by and take the tractor away before it transports you and your family into the TV static! ;)

What is perplexingis that you say the dealer replaced the sensor. Maybe the float is loose or maybe the problem is on the computer side (loose wire or moisture???)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
downloaded the L3560 -6060 WSM from kubotabooks...it looks like the gauge/sensor IS old skool but.... 'somehow' the puter knows when it's low(maybe another sensor ??). Anyway level sensor is basic teck.. 4 ohms when full, 100 ohms when low so brings me back to my first question. when it reads 'bad' is it 'overfull' of 'full line full' ? Overfull will be shorted sensor wire to ground.

jasonr4491

Oct 4, 2014
Indiana, Pa
Need some help. Purchased 2020 L6060 and have about 50 hours on it, the problem is, the fuel gauge keeps going to full. The dealer has worked on it several times and has been unable to correct the issue. When I driver the tractor, the fuel gauge will eventually go to full and stay there, if the tractor sits, it will go to the proper level. Dealer has replaced the sending unit, checked grounds, etc. If tractor sits even running, the gauge will normally read right. Its very strange issue on new machine, especially since its an analog gauge. Any input would help. thanks,
I just ran across your post because I am having same issue with a an L4060 so I'm curios to see if you got the problem fixed.
I ran the tractor for 6 hours mowing and the gauge still was reading full.
It was discovered that the plastic piece that holds the float and potentiometer had fallen off the metal bracket and was just hanging by the wires inside the tank.
All the fuel was drained to make the repair. Filled the tank back up to half tank on the gauge and all seemed fine. Thought that problem was behind us.
I used the tractor again for a few hours starting and stopping and noticed that the gauge is now reading full. Never added fuel after the gauge repair reading half tank. Went to pull the left side tank to check the float again and noticed the left side tank was completely full and the right side tank was almost empty.
Fuel sending unit and gauge are working fine, left side tank was completely full!
I asked my local dealer about the issue and he couldn't answer why left tank was full and right side was almost empty. He just said the tanks should equalize.

What is interesting, is the check valve between the two tanks that l found while looking at the parts manual. I asked the dealer about what the purpose of the check valve is and he didn't know.

I believe it only pulls fuel from the LH tank so the check valve keeps fuel in the tank especially if your running on a hill side which makes sense, but it doesn't give a very accurate fuel gauge reading.

1622561141971.png

Timman

Equipment
l6060
Apr 6, 2021
usa
Not fixed yet, however did find that if about half tank used it will work correct. Kubota has told dealer to replace instrument cluster waiting on that to be done.

Timman

Equipment
l6060
Apr 6, 2021
usa
Not fixed yet, however did find that if about half tank used it will work correct. Kubota has told dealer to replace instrument cluster waiting on that to be done.
Finally had cluster fixed/replaced, guess what...still goes to full. Dealers says needs to contact Kubota tech.

dgtvrpepair

Equipment
L4760HSTC RTV-X1100c ZD1211L-72
Feb 10, 2020
Morrilton AR United States
They should have tested the resistance to the cluster feed from sending unit and knew it didn't need a cluster. They could easily pull sending unit and do a sweep of it and showed gauge, wires and cluster is good. It has to be that the 2 tanks are not equalizing. Fuel from right tank is all going to left. Has to be the lines between the tank or part#3R600-04550 or the breather line is stoped up that comes from the top of 3R600-04550 .

Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
My L4060 just started doing this in the last week or so. Gauge goes to full. With the key on, the beep-beep-beep feature for filling the tank was beeping steadily.

My machine is a 2019 model year, took delivery late 2019. I wonder if it is still under warranty.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I know the orig. post is an old one.
Wonder if it was ever resolved?

I always worry that tiny electrical gremlins often morph into much bigger electrical problems which on electronic / tier V / ecu controlled stuff can run into alot of $'s wickedly quick.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I know the orig. post is an old one.
Wonder if it was ever resolved?

I always worry that tiny electrical gremlins often morph into much bigger electrical problems which on electronic / tier V / ecu controlled stuff can run into alot of $'s wickedly quick.
I called my dealer and my tractor is out of warranty. The basic warranty is 24 months or 1500 hours. I'm well under on hours but my machine is 2 years, 6 months old. I guess the powertrain warranty is longer, and that doesn't help me. I'm really disgusted something as basic as a fuel gauge stops working after 2 and half years. Now I have to fix this myself or pay Kubota to do this.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don't remember ever having a fuel gauge that worked perfectly like say a voltmeter. If my voltmeter says +5.0V I will trust it, if it reads 5.001V then maybe not.

I have to get used to how my fuel gauges work though and the one on my L2501 is quite poor. Stays full for hours, drops like a rock to 1/2. 1/2 seems about right because I put in 20L and she is almost full again by looking in the tank.

The Ford 3000 gauge never did anything, I use a dipstick for that one.
The Ford 1100 had a clear tube which would be perfect if it was at all visible. That one gets filled at grease time every 10 hours - no problem.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix the gauge, spend your time greasing and keeping bolts tight.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I don't remember ever having a fuel gauge that worked perfectly like say a voltmeter. If my voltmeter says +5.0V I will trust it, if it reads 5.001V then maybe not.

I have to get used to how my fuel gauges work though and the one on my L2501 is quite poor. Stays full for hours, drops like a rock to 1/2. 1/2 seems about right because I put in 20L and she is almost full again by looking in the tank.

The Ford 3000 gauge never did anything, I use a dipstick for that one.
The Ford 1100 had a clear tube which would be perfect if it was at all visible. That one gets filled at grease time every 10 hours - no problem.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix the gauge, spend your time greasing and keeping bolts tight.
The Grand L 60 series is not a simple tractor. It has a digital display which can read you how many gallons have been used or what your average gallons per hour is since a reset. The two fuel tanks are located below the cab and you cannot tell with a dipstick. I spent $47,000 on this machine and the fuel gauge doesn't work. I mow out in fields for hours on end and come in and refuel when the gauge reads low - I need that ability and shouldn't have to compromise because of this problem.