Fuel additive use or not

Bill Torok

Equipment
2380 , 2022 Front end loader Mid mower , cyclone rake
Oct 17, 2022
Delta ohio
Is it ok to use a fuel additive for diesel fuel like I use in my pickup?

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Don't know what your using but, many use an anti-gel. If it has lubricity additives and biocide, even better. Many use Power Service brand.
Some Diesel 911 on hand for emergencies.

Biocide is expensive, I use 1oz to treat a 50 gal fuel tank. A quart of this seems like a lifetime supply.

Reactions: 1 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Theres no downsied to using it / I use both injector cleaner-water evap & the stabelizer- anti jell - anti boicide / Also use Stable in gas equip. any thing that may sit for more then a month

Mark at WJ

Equipment
Kubota L3902
Aug 29, 2022
North Carolina
I use Stabil fuel treatment and during the winter use Stabil winterizing. As someone said above this does not hurt at all to use.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I use the Power Service white bottle for winter time. Don't typically use anything in the summer months.

In my IDI van I would use some ashless 2 stroke oil to help with lubrication of the fuel system.

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Because I only get to use my tractor intermittently, I only use 5 to 10 gals per year.
So I don't have to worry,
"Did I put anti-gel additive in now that it is getting cold or not last time I fueled up?"
I just run Power Service White year round in the tractor and will do the same with the excavator.
I put it in the truck when I am headed up to the high country and if it will get cold enough for long enough.

I run Stabil in all my small engines year round, because they may not get used often enough.
(Golf Cart, Rhino, mowers, log splitter, generators)

I run nothing in my gas cars.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
5-6 years ago here on OTT, seemed like a bunch of folks were having biological issues with their tractors.

I started using a biocide year round.

I also use additive year round. Gets too cold here to chance it.

Diesel was gelled at the pump at local station few years ago. Was about -16F as I recall.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I use both the white bottle Power Service stuff plus Seafoam in the Isuzu's belly tank. I fuel the B from that tank 2 gallons at a time.

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
For biodiesel, Deere recommends fuel conditioners while Kubota doesn't say (other than to change filters and hoses at 1/2 the recommended interval). Both advise a maximum B20 biodiesel.

We run white-bottle Power Service in the winter to help with gelling (though it's still a handful on the days it warms up to -20F).

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
The Kubota dealer here told me the last time I went in that Kubota recommends the Power Service additive. They stock it at the store. That’s the same stuff Cummins recommends so I keep it on hand in the shop. The low sulphur diesel just doesn’t provide enough lubrication the the pump and injectors.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Any recommendations for a biocide, and can you use both a biocide and an additive? I see the white power service additive seems to be popular on here and other sites, so ill probably get some of that. (https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/) Its funny I literally just went to go get another diesel can and get an additive, as I was trying to take the stupid filter out of one of the modern nanny ones and the thing fell in the tank and I cant get at it with pliers to take it out. Ended up getting a VP racing can, but didn't see any additives I recognized.

Last edited:

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
I haven't used additives in over 30+ years. Run tank down to about 1/4 or less at least every three months. Fill with fresh Diesel and repeat. I do ensure that it's "winter blend" before temperatures drop.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Any recommendations for a biocide, and can you use both a biocide and an additive? I see the white power service additive seems to be popular on here and other sites, so ill probably get some of that. (https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/) Its funny I literally just went to go get another diesel can and get an additive, as I was trying to take the stupid filter out of one of the modern nanny ones and the thing fell in the tank and I cant get at it with pliers to take it out. Ended up getting a VP racing can, but didn't see any additives I recognized.
Running multiple additives is NOT recommended by the supplier but it's not likely to hurt anything should you need to. Bios can become ineffective as a "maintenance dose" so only use it if you need to. Or as a intermittent treatment in your unit tank. Storage tanks are a different animal.
PS white is if you need added protection against gelling. Unusually low temps may warrant use of PS white. Diesel is typically treated by latitude anyway. So as long as you use fuel that was pumped in the winter it should be good. However, I have experienced 5° temps where diesel clouded because it just wasn't treated right before the pump. And it was abnormally cold for my area.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Running multiple additives is NOT recommended by the supplier but it's not likely to hurt anything should you need to. Bios can become ineffective as a "maintenance dose" so only use it if you need to. Or as a intermittent treatment in your unit tank. Storage tanks are a different animal.
PS white is if you need added protection against gelling. Unusually low temps may warrant use of PS white. Diesel is typically treated by latitude anyway. So as long as you use fuel that was pumped in the winter it should be good. However, I have experienced 5° temps where diesel clouded because it just wasn't treated right before the pump. And it was abnormally cold for my area.
So I’m in northern Michigan and I filled the cans up in august then the pswhite would be a good idea correct? i assume with the temps around 0-30 average it will help, even if it gets warmer it won’t hurt? I’m gonna have to some research on biocides as I don’t even know how I would know when I need it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
So I’m in northern Michigan and I filled the cans up in august then the pswhite would be a good idea correct? i assume with the temps around 0-30 average it will help, even if it gets warmer it won’t hurt? I’m gonna have to some research on biocides as I don’t even know how I would know when I need it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yes. The PS white will definitely be useful if you are running summer blend fuel.
Personly, I never run biocide unless there is a problem in the vehicle tank (storage tanks are a different issue.)
The issue with a bio is separate. You don't need to add it if you don't have a problem with the tank in the tractor.

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
Yes. The PS white will definitely be useful if you are running summer blend fuel.
Personly, I never run biocide unless there is a problem in the vehicle tank (storage tanks are a different issue.)
The issue with a bio is separate. You don't need to add it if you don't have a problem with the tank in the tractor.
So I’m seeing some articles regarding that water in the tank is a sign you may need some, but would you be able to see it in the fuel filter bulb? i Assume it would be clumpy if it is in the tank.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
So I’m seeing some articles regarding that water in the tank is a sign you may need some, but would you be able to see it in the fuel filter bulb? i Assume it would be clumpy if it is in the tank.
Not necessarily. Would it hurt? No. The key is to get rid of the water and keep it out. Water will make its way to the filter housing and you'll see it in the bottom. Microbes are clumpy and will collect on the filter and in the bowl. You'd know.
Buy finding a little water in the bowl doesn't really mean you need to dose your tank.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
So I’m seeing some articles regarding that water in the tank is a sign you may need some, but would you be able to see it in the fuel filter bulb?
No - you do not always see liquid water in the water-separator.

Be aware there are TWO trains of thought with fuel-additives:
  1. Water dispersants
    • The additive causes the water to distribute within the fuel so it flows thru the filters/separator and gets burned within the engine.
  2. Water coagulators
    • The additive causes the water to fall out of suspension within the fuel.
    • The liquid-water falls to bottom of tank and makes its way into the the water-separator

------
Make no mistake.... there is ALWAYS some moisture within EVERY container. (Fuel tank, gear-cases, engine-crankcase, Differential-case...etc)

Ambient temperature swings combined with humidity and precipitation is always adding moisture. There is no way to stop it. Once you realize this, it is easier to understand WHY we change oil and MUST run machines hot to drive out the moisture. Rarely used machines can actually build up several inches of water in the bottom of all the containers.

There is a reason it is said to "Buy diesel where it flows like wine".... You are getting less water with your fuel if the supply does not sit around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users