Front wheel assist, when to use or when not to use it?

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Should I only use it when absolutely needed?

Does it hurt it to use it all the time?

Turn it off only when driving on pavement?

Thanks Ben

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
An old off-roader once told me that 4WD should be used to get you out of the mess that 2WD got you into.

I run my tractors in 2WD until 4WD is necessary. There are several and varied times when 4WD is an advantage.

Also, 2WD puts less stress on drive line components.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I never take mine out of 4wd, but I don't have any pavement at my place. It's safer and more productive to have the front end engaged for loader work and when the ground isn't flat.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I can tell you this much from what I've seen from my own two eyes. Once upon a time I used to drive trucks hauling new tractors of the blue variety. I was in the shop one rainy day and a customer dropped off about a 25hp Ford tractor with a front axle problem. It was owned by a turf and landscape company that used the tractor to pull and aerator. Well they were doing so in 4wd all the time and trashed the front axle. Brought it to us and it would cost them about 7 THOUSAND dollars to replace the axle.

4wd on your tractor is no different then your 4x4 truck or suv. You wouldn't want to run your truck in 4wd all the time so its not a good idea to do it with a tractor.