Front weights for Kubota zero turn mower?

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Any ideas on how to “CLEANLY” add a few pounds to the front of a Kubota Z 400 series zero turn mower? There are kits for other mower brands but I wanted to see if anyone had fabbed their own for a Kubota. I mow my fairly, steep hills up and down and have (so far) avoided the front end lifting…a few pounds up front wouldn’t hurt.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have a Z400 series as well; the kits are pretty nice and easy. However, you could have a fab shop cut you a few rectangles of 1" plate steel with a plasma cutter in dimensions that would work well on the caster legs, then use leaf-spring u-bolts to clamp them on. The metal shop could probably pierce holes in the plate for the u-bolts to travel down through. Chamfer the edges of the metal plate on a bench grinder, then paint the plates and u-bolt either orange or black, and bolt them on. Not sure if that would end up being cheaper than the pre-made kits or not. Overall, I've found my Z421 to be more stable on slopes than most zero turn mowers I've used, thanks to the fuel tank being under the seat and the low-profile tires.

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I have a Z400 series as well; the kits are pretty nice and easy. However, you could have a fab shop cut you a few rectangles of 1" plate steel with a plasma cutter in dimensions that would work well on the caster legs, then use leaf-spring u-bolts to clamp them on. The metal shop could probably pierce holes in the plate for the u-bolts to travel down through. Chamfer the edges of the metal plate on a bench grinder, then paint the plates and u-bolt either orange or black, and bolt them on. Not sure if that would end up being cheaper than the pre-made kits or not. Overall, I've found my Z421 to be more stable on slopes than most zero turn mowers I've used, thanks to the fuel tank being under the seat and the low-profile em ordertires.
Thanks! Are you saying there is a Kubota Kit for this?
Okay. I just spoke with my dealer and they do have a kit but it is sold by SALES for the weight and by PARTS for the bracket …I had them order me a bracket kit.

Last edited:

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Got called by my dealer today saying my FRONT WEIGHT KIT was in. Drove down (had to get my truck gassed up anyway) went to the parts counter and they had brackets for a weight kit that was NOT what the salesman had explained to me last week. Anyway, between the parts dept and the sales dept they got it figured out and I’m happy with the “kit” even though it’s not what the sales guy had talked about on the phone. It’s a typical weight system that has a bracket on top of each front “caster” wheel with space for 2 weights on each side. I only want one weight (25lbs) per side which is more than enough for my use although the bracket accommodates 2 weights per side (for a total of 100 lbs)
Don’t need that much for my purposes. Oops! The parts guy forgot to order the retaining pins that hold them he weights in place….he said he would ship them direct to my home. I’ll take some pics when installed…
They look like this…

Attachments

Last edited:

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Got called by my dealer today saying my FRONT WEIGHT KIT was in. Drove down (had to get my truck gassed up anyway) went to the parts counter and they had brackets for a weight kit that was NOT what the salesman had explained to me last week. Anyway, between the parts dept and the sales dept they got it figured out and I’m happy with the “kit” even though it’s not what the sales guy had talked about on the phone. It’s a typical weight system that has a bracket on top of each front “caster” wheel with space for 2 weights on each side. I only want one weight (25lbs) per side which is more than enough for my use although the bracket accommodates 2 weights per side (for a total of 100 lbs)
Don’t need that much for my purposes. Oops! The parts guy forgot to order the retaining pins that hold them he weights in place….he said he would ship them direct to my home. I’ll take some pics when installed…
They look like this…
Well, there goes all your WHEELIE fun ;-)

• Haha

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Would they keep one from getting airborne??

Hehe. I was impressed with the speed of my zeroturn, unil I went mostly airborne over a bump. :oops:

• Haha

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Well…I mowed my hills for the 1st time since adding the weights (50lbs) to the Z422-54…noticed the uphill climb was much easier and surer with no pucker clenching moments at all…happy with the upgrade!
No pics because they are exactly like the ones in the previous picture only with ONE 25 lb weight on each side.