Front Snow Plow

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Posted previously about a "hand-crafted" front snow plow acquired in a trade to fit my 1980 B7100. It was raised with a cable/pulley system from the 3 point hitch. Worked somewhat & could have easily been improved but I wanted to recover the use of the 3 point hitch for a rear blade. Wired up & installed (mocked up today) a 3000lb. Canadian Tire 12 volt winch ($39.95) on the front bumper. Winch is mounted on a flat plate welded to a 2"x2" tube that slides into a hitch receiver that will be welded to the bumper. Winch can easily be removed to raise the hood by pulling the hitch pin & disconnecting the quick disconnect on the electrical wires. Works slicker than "deer guts on a doorknob". Winch could also be used on the rear as I plan on fabbing up the same type hitch receiver to fit the trailer hitch. I also have a question - why does the trailer hitch pivot up instead of being fixed? Most older tractors used stay bars to prevent this when towing a trailer or wagon.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I have a 79 B7100, and my hitch doesn't pivot or move at all. Can you post a pic of yours?

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I had one of those cheap winches from Canadian Tire mounted on the front of my B6200. I hooked it to a tree and it wouldn't even pull the tractor on hard ground with the e-brake engaged. The wire got snagged so I hooked it to the fel which snapped the line. Those winches are very limited but for your plow it should work well.

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
The hitch is attached to the same steel rod that the lower lift arms are attached to. Can't see where there is anything missing or broken. It will pivot upwards about 3 or 4 inches. I'll see if I can get the picture thing sorted out.

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Just got my first chance to try out my plow & B7100, clearing the driveway after our latest "snow bomb" here in Atlantic Canada -wet, sticky snow. Everything worked great! Little tractor has plenty of power & winch to raise/lower the plow worked great. Have to secure the switch/control unit better though - ty-wrapped to the steering column now. Changed the oil while it was warm -black as tar! Never owned a diesel before, but I guess the oil gets black quickly after a change, according to a construction equip. operator neighbour.

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Plowed for the 3rd time this week & had my first malfunction. Lowering the blade with the winch, I lowered too far & had an excess of loose cable which got wrapped around & wedged between the winch spool & the frame. Had to remove the hook to get it untangled & cut off 12" of mangled cable. Back together & finished plowing, no problem. I might cut the cable, leaving only enough to operate the blade.

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
Piker,
That is what I did with my ATV, had a plow cable about 10 feet long that I used each winter for plowing. Then switched to the 25 foot cable for the summer. It came with 50 feet which I cut in half to avoid what happened to you. Long cables just bind up too easy and 25 feet is lots anyway. Gives your winch a rest when you re-rig the rope when getting unstuck.

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Found the reason my hitch would pivot - the plate that bolts to the bottom of the rear differential was broken off from the hitch. It had been poorly welded after the break by a previous owner & that weld broke also. Re-welded with a good heavy bead from both sides & re-installed. Solid now. While I had it off I found there is a 2nd hole for the rod that holds the hitch & 3 point arms. The hitch can be turned over & re-attached, raising the hitch a bit. Left mine as it was as it lines up perfectly with the frame for my snow plow. Fabbed up a trailer hitch receiver to insert into the hitch & secure with the same 3/4" hitch pin I use for my snow plow attachment.
Here's a link to my PhotoBucket page - hope to add more photos this week.
http://s572.photobucket.com/albums/ss166/Piker_photos/Kubota B7100/

Last edited: