Front loader/ Rear ballest

bryanc1

Equipment
frontloader,trailers
Jul 23, 2014
Mt. Vernon In
I have a new 2370 kubotaBX with front loader. I was moving some dirt around the other day & noticed the back end was light & springy with the bucket loaded. I was wondering if someone knows where I might find a rear ballest box that would fit my 3-point hitch. I could then add weight as needed to offset the front loader weight & better balance the tractor. this would also give better traction to the rear tires when moving the loaded bucket. I used a friends BX25 with a bucket & backhoe on it & it was very solid on the ground with the front loader loaded. I figured that was due to the 600lbs of rear ballest the backhoe added. Your thoughts are much appreciated as I will be moving about 10 triaxels of dirt in the spring around my new pole barn I am building for the kubota to rest in. I would like to be a little more comfortable moving the dirt than i am right now!

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
If you are going to be moving that much dirt, you may want to think about getting a box blade to help level things out. The box blade will act as your counter weight for the loader. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
There are all kinds of ballast setups
Some are factory made ballast boxes, can be filled with sand or gravel.

Home made ones, barrels with sand or water.

Built so they are easy to disconnect.

Another is rear wheel weights and ballast in tires

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
For a starter, short of making a box, consider adding a rear blade. Usually comes in handy when handling earth and is great for snow plowing.

If you add a rear quick hitch (harbor Freight), that adds load and you can make a simple platform back there, with a square of angle iron and a plywood deck. Add chains to the top of the quick hitch from the ends and you got one, cheap.

I added hooks on the quick hitch top corners, but not needed as a start.

Deck then good for other hauling. Stores easily. Sorry about the bad drawing. My deck is 100 miles from me now.

Attachments

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Ballast on the 3 pt is very important when a loader is added to a tractor. Seem like dealers would stress this more?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
If you get the quick hitch, and then get other tools for rear, measure them before buying. The distance between the pins (between supports), near 27" as I recall, is not standard on all attachments, category I.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Ballast on the 3 pt is very important when a loader is added to a tractor. Seem like dealers would stress this more?
Its right in the owners manuals that come with the tractor, if one would take a few minutes to actually read them!

David

notnew2diy

Jul 15, 2014
McHenry county, Il.
Do you currently own any 3pt implements?
I used to use my 5' brush hog as a counter weight.
A few years later, I bought a carry all from TSC, and stack 10 - 15 cinder blocks on it.

FWIW...notnew...

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I use a box blade on the back when using the loader. Helps but my box blade could use a little more weight too. The bush hog is bigger and heavier - works better but unless you're out in wide open spaces, it makes maneuvering a bit harder.

If you have a good heavy box blade, it's about the best, relatively compact, puts more weight on the back etc... I will be putting weights on my box blade one of these days.

dfcloud

Equipment
b7800
Aug 13, 2014
clark fork, id
One thing I do when I need more ballast than my box scraper-
Turn the tines to the inside of the box and add big rocks until satisfied.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Most of the time when I do dirt or gravel work I'll need my box scrape anyway. Not only makes a great counterweight but help with the dirt as well. If you plan to do alot of dirt moving a good quality box scrape will be worth it's weight in gold.

IVAN tnst

Equipment
B7510 FEL, Snowblower, Bushhog, Scraper Box, Grader, 4"wood chipper
Aug 8, 2014
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
I have ballast in the rear tires and ususally have my Box Scrapper or my grader blade and so when I take a full bucket of gravel the tractor does not become off level. The ballast in the tire alone makes a BIG difference.
Good Luck

Ivan

bryanc1

Equipment
frontloader,trailers
Jul 23, 2014
Mt. Vernon In
Just want to thank everyone for their input on my problem of how to ballest the tractor when using my front loader. I was abel to purchase a ballest box from my Kubota dealer for 245.00. It works great & I can use it whenever i do not need a rear implement on the tractor. I actually do not have any Implements yet so this works well until i get some. I am looking @ a rear tiller from land pride but do not know which type is better for clay ground (forward of reverse tine tiller?)Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated & also which series & width. My PTO horsepower is 17.7hp.

Chuckster

Wrencher2423

Apr 27, 2014
Leechburg,Pa,U.S.A
I got the rta land pride tiller about 3 weeks ago and have yet to hook it up yet. Seems great I should know by the weekend as long as rain holds off. I'll get back to you on my thoughts .

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
I got the rta land pride tiller about 3 weeks ago and have yet to hook it up yet. Seems great I should know by the weekend as long as rain holds off. I'll get back to you on my thoughts .
I will be lookingforward to your follow up....as I am sure others will be too...thanks