front end- please explain.

DRG3

Mar 10, 2012
kentucky
I have a kubota l3000dt. I noticed this evening when i had both front wheels jacked up and 4wd disengaged that if i spin one wheel forward the other spins in reverse and vice versa. Can someone please tell me why this occurs. It seems wrong to me. Also how does this work when the tractor is moving. Thanks in advance.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you jack your car or truck up it will do the same thing unless it's limited slip or positive traction style diff. As far as on the ground having this kind of drive axle allows the tires to travel at different speeds when making turns. It also helps to cut down tire wear and doesn't tear the ground up as bad either. This is where you can get in trouble as well. If you go thru a ditch or run up on a bank with one tires it can loose traction on the down hill side. Some tractors come with a limited slip diff in the front or may even have a diff lock for the front axle. The L3000 has neither of these but they are a pretty good tractor, I love mine.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yep the pinion (input gear) is stationary so turning one axle causes the two idler spider gears to spin which then rotate the other axle backwards. If you put the transfer case in neutral it'll cause the other wheel to remain stationary while the pinion spins or all three will turn.

EDIT: Jeese normally my grammar comes out backwards from what's in my head but that was awful. Fixed now.

Last edited: