Freeze plugs and me. Pulley question.

Arkie

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 30, 2011
sheridan, ar
Ok, here's the situation. Some nut forgot to put antifreeze in his BX2200 (me) and almost ruined an engine. After replacing a freeze plug in the side of the engine I started puttiing water into the radiator. After standing there putting water in for several minutes, I started wondering where all the water was going. Right about at this moment I found out. Water came pouring out of the breather tube coming from the top of the valve cover (Not Good). So thinking I had a busted block and possibly having to replace the engine, $3400, I wanted to be sure. I pulled the engine and first pulled the oil pan, found no problem there. I pulled the timing gear cover, nothing. I pulled the valve cover and found the problem. 2 small freeze plugs in the top of the head. This was a welcome site considering the alternative. So, with new freeze plugs in place and a sigh of relief I re-assembled what I had removed, placed the engine back in the frame, and was up and running. Here comes the hitch. I noticed after I pulled the single belt pulley from the back of the engine that it was weighted (more material on one side). Now that the engine is running it has noticably more vibration that it had prior to performing the work. I am thinking it has something to do with the placement of the pulley and that it should be "dialed in" to act as a counter weight. Can anyone advise on this and if I am right what is the correct placement of this pulley? Thanks for the input.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
Its a little late for this, but as a general rule it is a good idea to mark parts with paint or a punch before taking them off.

I don't know, but probably this balancing is done at the factory with special equipment. If you are really lucky and you remove the pully (mark it first) you might be able to notice some rust or something to put it back the way it was. Otherwise, trial and error may be the only practical way.

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
In my experience, most balanced parts have been positively indexed to the shaft with a key, spline, or staggered bolt pattern. At the very least it should have factory markings.