Free Trailer Plans ?

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Anyone know where I can find plans for building a 16' utility trailer ? I have done a Google search but most plans I find are for smaller utility trailers .

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Have a buddy with a trailer you like? Copy it. I have built a couple trailers from scratch and repaired/modified too many to count. I usually start building it from bottom up-upside down.
Biggest thing for me is balance-with load on. First and foremost.may not apply in your situation.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I really liked the one here:
http://www.besttrailerplans.com/8x16-utility-trailer-plans.html

I did another search and it looks like a comparable trailer runs $4k new... Any idea of the material cost to build one yourself? Just wondering how much my pain would be worth.

Also, would stick welding alone be good enough for the fabrication? That's all my home shop is set up to do...
That looks like a nice one. It's companion with the "landscaping tailgate" looks like the big brother of the single-axle I bought used for about $600. Now that I have the luxury of time, I'm dithering between building a bigger one or enhancing this one with brakes and possibly a second axle. I only have a B6100 FEL so don't need the load rating as much as braking.

A stick welder, even a 110v AC unit, will do a fine job on the iron typically used on these trailers.

As suggested, unless those plans are very cheap, copy a trailer that you like and have access to. The frame is very simple -- in fact, everything except the tongue is extremely simple. MANY YouTube vids give plenty of info and tips.

Find some local scrap metal dealers and get everything you can from them. I've had good experience with eTrailer.com for things that are critical, such as a tongue and a new tongue jack. Prices very reasonable, and they have all the components you would need. Good prices on axles and brakes, too!

Good luck, and post your pics!

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Thanks for the advice guys. I have done some checking on prices of materials ,axels, and everything else needed . I found that building my own wouldnt be much cheaper than buying one . The one advantage to building your own is you can make it the way you want . So,,,my second idea . Believe I will wait till later this summer and try to find either a heavy duty used one , or buy a cheap one and reinforce it the way i want . Spring is almost here and prices on trailers are high right now so will wait till later in the year .

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
000 So,,,my second idea . Believe I will wait till later this summer and try to find either a heavy duty used one , or buy a cheap one and reinforce it the way i want...
"That sounds like a plan!"

Please keep us updated on what you find, and what you do to reinforce and upgrade. I'm particularly interested since I bought a homemade trailer cobbled together and rather haphazardly cobbled together. Though it worked, it wasn't safe and I'm having to do some repairs.

I'll also be doing some upgrades, including running conduit for wiring; capping ends of decking; upgrading axles; installing brakes, controller, and break-away controller; and upgrading lighting to include side lights and fender lights; and a "toolbox" to store all the junk you might need (straps, chains, adult beverages...).