Four years in and looking at a tractor!

cpy911

Jan 19, 2020
Oregon City
Howdy,

I have now owned my place for four years (time flies) and have been waiting to buy a proper tractor. (Been saving, hiring out work and making due with two older garden tractors, one with a little front end loader). But it is time to move on!

Our place has about 8 acres that one can safely take the tractor on. We have additional wooded acres that are steeply sloped. Of the 8 acres, five are fenced gently sloping pastures with a few steeper spots with fescue grass, 2 are wetland grass/marsh that are drivable in the summer and then 1 kind of flat acre around barn/house.

I would like to purchase a tractor that would do the following:

1. Mowing as primary job, with both a rear finish mower and rotary cutter depending on need. Our front 3 acre pasture can look like a lawn some days! We have cows on the pasture areas when grass is growing, however we want to get out of cows for a while and I want to mow the pastures 1x month during Spring and a little during fall to keep them tidy. They are dormant in the summer. So, regularly mowing about 5-6 acres during growing season(s). Those pasture areas can have some bumpy and rough areas, but are grass with some broadleaf weeds mixed in. I mow with the garden tractors if it gets ahead of the cows...it is slow (too bumpy of a ride going fast...but plenty of cutting power) and I get the job done.

2. Use the bucket to turn a compost pile and move random junk around that is too heavy to lift by hand. Spread delivered wood chips around. Muck out the barn when winter is over, help collect some fallen limbs. Use it as a powered wheel barrow, or a third hand to hold something up high.

3. Pull a little 4x8 utility trailer around full of whatever happens to need moved from one place to another...usually brush and limbs and firewood as well.

4. We have an asphalt road and little to no snow here in the Pacific Northwest...so not a lot of gravel work. No plans for infrastructure or building anything...everything we need is done.

I am thinking B series would do the job (which is mostly mowing) as a "maintain" the place tractor. Yes, the old garden tractors are basically doing the job but the ride can be rough in some spots in the fields. Sometimes I pull a gas powered rotary cutter with the ATV and that is a smoother ride. That will wear the old ATV out in no time though. The bigger tires on the B-series would be nice and B-series seems like a compromise to do pasture mowing, but nimble around the house and inside the barn cleaning.

I am not much of a tractor guy, (kind of a minimalist!) but like to keep the property in check. I am drawn to Kubota because it seems like the standard go to with lots of support and interest.

The property used to be an over run brier patch and now is mostly beautiful grasses and trees. It took lots of hard work and initially hiring out tractor work (skid steers with grapples and front mowers) to get it in better shape.

I am also planting trees on the extremely sloped areas that were logged, but that is mostly hand work. The place has really transformed and I want to keep it that way with more efficiency and comfort. Strategically timed mowing seems to keep things in check so invasives don't take over, using that as the go to method.

Would I expect to pay MSRP or is there wiggle room with dealers these days? I will be paying cash and am patient and can wait until end of the season for a good deal if needed.

Thanks in advance for your input, for those that have some sort of baseline experience here. I know there always bigger machines than what I am looking at, but just trying to get a frame of reference before I go out shopping.

Thanks!

slider_buck

Equipment
2023 l4060
Dec 20, 2023
Ohio
Go test drive a Grand L4060 and youll be sold. I looked at several options about 4 months ago. Came back to the L4060 3 times. Finally said the heck with it and spent the extra money on it. Not a single regret. The HST plus transmission is bar far the best ive used. You can actually use your finger to tip the pedal back and forth. You can also dial it in to how responsive you want it. All the controls are in the perfect position as well. Not a single thing i dont like about it. I also got them to come off the price over 3 grand.

Reactions: 1 user

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Your Kubota B series or Kioti CK series sound about right.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Look at the Kubota LX 2610 SU. You indicate that you do not need a mid-PTO, and it comes with bigger tires. I mow with both a rotary cutter and finish mower (see signature).

Best of all, its MSRP is less than a B2601.

Reactions: 4 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
cpy911, Welcome to OTT. You'll find lots of great information here!!

My B2650 does everything you're looking at on my 19 acres that I live on. Plus, I mow another 2.5 acres on another investment property that I own. It's also used on some trails running through 50 some acres of woodland near a lake.

I've never regretted its size. sometimes a bigger tractor would get the job done qucker and other times a bigger tractor wouldn't be able to do the jobs I have for a tractor on my properties. It's a trade off.

I don't have steep hills, but do mow both sides of some 2000 feet of roadway ditch along my rural residential property.

I've found my flail mower can replace my old brush hog mower and then some. It'll mow heavy brush and also do an acceptable job on grass if needed, especially in the ditches or similar to a hay field.

The rear discharge 3 pt finish mower does most of the yard mowing. It's extremely easy to hook up and unhook allowing quick changes between all the other attachments you'll accumulate!! :D

Only you can decide how much tractor you need for your particular layout and uses. Working smarter with a somewhat smaller tractor can outperform a poor operator on a larger tractor....depending on the duties and work areas.

Reactions: 5 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a B2601 that I love. I got mine primarily for mowing and ordered it with turf tires, the rears being loaded. I don't think you would be disappointed. If you are a big person you might sit on it and make sure you are not cramped. I am 6'2'' and 210 pounds and its fine. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

I have a B and love it. IMO the limiting factor for a B is machine weight (traction) and lift capability. So long as you don’t want to lift too much with the loader it’s fine. Regarding the trailer you want to pull…again a B doesn’t weigh much so it would have limitations especially if on hills or damp grass. I have a 4x8 utility wagon and it will pull it just fine up a hill so long as not loaded full or wet grass. Personally really like my B…if I did not need a MMM when I got it, I would have gone with a L2501. I think the L250x is a better value and more machine for the $ (if that is the size and HP you want), but it doesn’t have the MMM. Those are my two cents. Happy shopping. 🥃

Reactions: 2 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have a B2601. For your description, and not needing a mid-PTO, I'd look at the LX SU model, or the L2501. The B will do the job, but you mention the fields you want to mow are a bit rough. For rough terrain, I'd prefer a wide cut going slow than a narrow cut going fast. The second is really hard on your back. An L2501 will lift a bigger mower - the B is quite limited in what you can put on the back of it and still be comfortable.

I also generally feel that 7 acres of land deserves an L. Or, as noted above, a Grand-L. But the LX-SU does most of what the L2501 does, and it is very well priced.

cpy911

Jan 19, 2020
Oregon City
Thank you all. Honestly, I don't think there is one right or wrong answer. I think there are good and better choices but so many dynamics going on where everyone needs something different!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
1. Mowing as primary job, with both a rear finish mower and rotary cutter depending on need.

The bigger tires on the B-series would be nice and B-series seems like a compromise to do pasture mowing, but nimble around the house and inside the barn cleaning.

I am not much of a tractor guy, (kind of a minimalist!) but like to keep the property in check. I am drawn to Kubota because it seems like the standard go to with lots of support and interest.
Lots of good feedback already but I want to address the three topics above.

So being a minimalist you're thinking of open station rather than cab? I ask because mowing and mulching is a lot more enjoyable when you have a cab. Also, as a diehard Kubota loyalist I would recommend the brand to anyone that would listen.

I used to cut a couple of acres with a BX25, and the small front tires and small rear tires for that matter, made for a brutal, ball-bouncing ride. They would drop into holes and depressions with regularity. My point is that the B front tires aren't exactly huge so your ride might be bouncier than you'd like.

If you took the advice of @slider_buck and looked at the Grand L60 series you might think that minimalism is overrated. They really are amazing tractors. I might well have bought an L6060 if not for that pathetic front tire and wheel combination.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Welcome! Kubota does a particularly good job in the mid-compact lines which is why a lot of us have chosen them. Good quality & support, but not necessarily the cheapest...

Read up, take a consensus of the feedback, then go look and drive them at a dealer.
You have some tractor experience and a good idea of what you want to do with it - you are already ahead of the pack!

FWIW Goldilocks one for me was the base L25 with a slight mod to the H pressure driving the pump as I use the loader & BH most (it is underrated & same as the 33/39). I like the frame/wheel size and weight. I also don't mind the open station which to me is an asset around the woods

Last edited: