Foot pedal controlled 3rd function

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I see 5-11 Designs is considering running production of a foot pedal controlled 3rd function for such things as a grapple, eliminating the need for electric solenoids and switches.Kudos to 5-11 for ingenuity! Will be following along. Sounds interesting!

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I see 5-11 Designs is considering running production of a foot pedal controlled 3rd function for such things as a grapple, eliminating the need for electric solenoids and switches.Kudos to 5-11 for ingenuity! Will be following along. Sounds interesting!

I watch Courtney's channel and saw this today too. Justin made the comment that the 3rd function buttons are prone to failing but I've had Kubota 3rd functions on four tractors and never had a problem yet. I'm not a fan of the foot pedal for the 3rd function. It clutters up an area that is already cluttered, and I have no problem with Kubota's joystick mounted controls.

That said, all the best to Justin and 5-11 Designs. He makes some good stuff that many seem to like.

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Interesting. Don’t see the advantage over FEL lever control. First grapple decades ago used a rear remote for a third function. Did give some throttling control and detents for opening and closing. Happy with the solenoid control on the FEL lever with the tractors now.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
For some it might be a idea. But for me I would find it awkward to use both a joystick and a pedal. I would rather have all the controls on the joystick...
But then that's my $0.02 worth.....

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It seems to me that trying to get my left foot to control the grapple and my right hand to control the loader would be sort of like rubbing your belly while tapping the top of your head.

Sure it can be done, but its not intuitive.....at least not for me.

• Haha

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It seems to me that trying to get my left foot to control the grapple and my right hand to control the loader would be sort of like rubbing your belly while tapping the top of your head.

Twenty odd years ago I had my first run in with a "real" backhoe - Case 580M extend-a-hoe. The extension was controlled by a foot pedal which became second nature in very short order....

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Twenty odd years ago I had my first run in with a "real" backhoe - Case 580M extend-a-hoe. The extension was controlled by a foot pedal which became second nature in very short order....

Dan
I can see on something like the L2501 this being a possibility. But on my LX I have the brake pedals on the left and the HST treadle on the right... I think I'll stick with the buttons on the joystick.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I like the idea of a non-electrical control for the 3rd function. I would prefer a hand lever rather than a foot control, but if the foot control would allow you to control the 3rd function while simultaneously controlling the FEL functions then that is an advantage. I have an electrically controlled 3rd function and I can not use the 3rd function at the same time as the FEL controls.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
I have nerve damage to my right hand. No feeling in the thumb, little sensation of the index, and limited feeling in the middle finger. I can see value in something like this.

Reactions: 1 user

Superjet511

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 FEL
Sep 15, 2020
Chelsea Mi
I like the idea of a non-electrical control for the 3rd function. I would prefer a hand lever rather than a foot control, but if the foot control would allow you to control the 3rd function while simultaneously controlling the FEL functions then that is an advantage. I have an electrically controlled 3rd function and I can not use the 3rd function at the same time as the FEL controls.
This project started with a hand lever, but proved very inconvenient as you had to take your hand off the joystick to operate it. I am not sure why you can't control the loader and the 3rd function simultaneously. Seems that would be a must. Is something plumbed incorrectly?

Superjet511

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 FEL
Sep 15, 2020
Chelsea Mi

It is easier than you think. No different than using the hst pedal while running the loader and steering. Although I understand what you mean. I never could play the drums!

Superjet511

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 FEL
Sep 15, 2020
Chelsea Mi
Interesting. Don’t see the advantage over FEL lever control. First grapple decades ago used a rear remote for a third function. Did give some throttling control and detents for opening and closing. Happy with the solenoid control on the FEL lever with the tractors now.
The main advantages are easy installation and no electrical issues to encounter down the road. I built this to suit my preferences because I didn't care for what was available in the market. I like tinkering, so it was a fun project. Offering it to the public was secondary. If there's a market for it that's just a bonus.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am not sure why you can't control the loader and the 3rd function simultaneously. Seems that would be a must. Is something plumbed incorrectly?
There is a lot of misconception around this issue.

Operation of the bucket spool on many Kubota loader valves blocks downstream PB flow. With the third function downstream of the loader valve no downstream PB flow when the bucket is active means no third function.

The boom spool does not block so third function works fine when the boom is active.

Dan

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Funny on a separate thread I’ve post where I added hand control in addition to foot control for backhoe thumb. Prefer the hand control with delicate operations like stacking stones. Both manual control.