Fluid leaking from LA302 loader cylinder

tbronson

Equipment
B1700 HSD w/ LA302 FEL, B48CA rototiller
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
LA302 loader on B1700 tractor:

Just noticed a steady flow of hydraulic fluid from one of the bucket cylinders. Seems to be coming from where the rod enters the cylinder.

Happens every time the rod is extended and contracted. Steady flow stops after a few seconds when inactive, but seems to be leaking really slowly when at rest.

I looked at the parts manual. Is it a seal? Can I fix this myself?

Thanks!

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
LA302 loader on B1700 tractor:

Just noticed a steady flow of hydraulic fluid from one of the bucket cylinders. Seems to be coming from where the rod enters the cylinder.

Happens every time the rod is extended and contracted. Steady flow stops after a few seconds when inactive, but seems to be leaking really slowly when at rest.

I looked at the parts manual. Is it a seal? Can I fix this myself?

Thanks!
Sounds like a shaft seal. Its not a high skill job to replace but if you are not familiar with the job it may be beyond your ability. Got to take it apart so I would do a complete overhaul if it were mine. Or simply purchase a new replacement for $100 and save yourself the work.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That cylinder PN7J043-64010 is not $100. It’s $479.82, plus tax, plus shipping.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Its not a difficult job but you do need some tools for the job. I'm the type of person who likes to do everything myself, just the way I am. If you remove the cylinder and have a local shop rebuild it the price should not be unreasonable. If you want to do it yourself then spend some time readings and googling how to do it. Cheers.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That cylinder PN7J043-64010 is not $100. It’s $479.82, plus tax, plus shipping.

I was not talking OEM - I was talking aftermarket. You can put 4 new Prince cylinders on that loader for the price of one Kubota cylinder. I know because I just did mine a couple years ago. Simple drop in replacement.

Dan

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yes, I knew that’s what you meant… but it’s really not compartive when you have to buy FOUR cylinders to avoid buying only one genuine Kubota. If you swap all of them out…you’re also likely looking at all new hoses …and then there’s the issue of which fittings those hoses have to have on one-end to mate-up with the Kubota loader and the different fittings those hoses likely need to mate-up with the aftermarket cylinders.

$150 ea times Four is $600 and the hoses will be another (all 8 of ’’em) another $200 plus tax and shipping.

You can quickly spend a LOT more than what it’d cost to simply buy another genuine Kubota cylinder ….or better yet…. repair the one you’ve got leaking for around $150 at the Kubota dealer or any hydraulic shop.

(of course you knew that and we’re on the same page) ;)

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, I knew that’s what you meant… but it’s really not compartive when you have to buy FOUR cylinders to avoid buying only one genuine Kubota. If you swap all of them out…you’re also likely looking at all new hoses …and then there’s the issue of which fittings those hoses have to have on one-end to mate-up with the Kubota loader and the different fittings those hoses likely need to mate-up with the aftermarket cylinders.

$150 ea times Four is $600 and the hoses will be another (all 8 of ’’em) another $200 plus tax and shipping.

You can quickly spend a LOT more than what it’d cost to simply buy another genuine Kubota cylinder ….or better yet…. repair the one you’ve got leaking for around $150 at the Kubota dealer or any hydraulic shop.

(of course you knew that and we’re on the same page) ;)
No need to buy four. One would work just fine. I actually replaced both bucket cylinders first because they were leaking internally and the only way to hold a load was to constantly keep twitching the joystick. Shortly after changing the bucket cylinders I noticed the boom was drifting a bit and I was so happy with the bucket cylinder replacements I purchased two more with a longer stroke for the lift.

No need to replace any hoses. The Kubota cylinders had NPT ports which I dislike because it makes connecting/disconnecting hoses a PITA. i had installed $2 NPT to JIC port adapters in them when I replaced the rotten Kubota hoses with new aftermarket hoses that had JIC swivel ends years earlier. The new cylinders have SAE ports so I simply put $2 SAE to JIC port adapters in them. Keep in mind this machine is almost 40 years old and every hose on it has been replaced at least once. The spools in the loader valve are now getting worn and leaking down so it will be replaced with a new aftermarket (Brand) joystick loader valve I have laying around. I have no idea what Kubota wants for that valve but it was never made by Kubota I am sure their replacement is incredibly over priced. The Brand valve also has a much nicer joystick mechanism an regen on the bucket circuit which the original valve does not.

Dan

Last edited:

tbronson

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
Thanks for all the info! From that, and talking to the Kubota parts guy at my regional dealer, it seems most likely to be a seal problem.

I looked into parts. Seems like getting the Kubota kit is the safest way to go. The local hydraulics shop said they'd have to measure, and the Kubota dealer said Kubota doesn't publish the seal specs. Cost is about the same for the Kubota kit or third-party seals. Labor, if I get it done in-shop, about triples the cost.

Seems like a fairly straightforward job, if I can get the cylinder cap off. I'm going to try the DIY route, using a bench-mounted vice and pipe wrench -- watched a YouTube video on that, 5 ways to remove a cylinder cap.

Until then, I'm using the bucket a bit, and watching the fluid level to make sure it stays good.

If there's anything else I should know, that would be appreciated. And I'll follow up with how it goes.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
If there's anything else I should know, that would be appreciated. And I'll follow up with how it goes.
All the info you could want a few subjects up the page.

tbronson

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
After a minor attempt at DIY, I ran out of time (weather changed) and took it into a hydraulics shop, where they replaced the seals. $145US (I'm in Canada, so, $180 here). Rod, barrel and piston were fine. I used the loader some over the summer, topping up regularly to make up for the leak, which got worse. Maybe two quarts in all.

Along the way, found out how hard it can be to open it up. My only try was with a big pipe wrench, got a solid grip, but the cap wouldn't budge. Started another thread on that (Tips on opening up loader hydraulic cylinder?) and found out that actually placing the seals isn't that simple. Anyhow, I'll be much better prepared for a DIY try the next time.

Only did the one cylinder. I get the argument of doing them in pairs, but I'm in the if it ain't broke camp here. Will maybe learn the hard way if the other one goes real soon. Without physically checking, it seems like just guessing that they'll go at the same time.

Thanks again!!!

tbronson

Equipment
Jul 1, 2016
Ontario
One-year update: A full season over, and the other cylinder is still fine. I use the tractor for maybe up to 200 hrs a year, during vegetable growing months.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Most machine shops can rebuild them with new seal. Or dealer will, that is if the shaft isn't damaged