Floating a bucket

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
Hey guys new to the board and the tractor world, my L3700su was delivered on
Tuesday. Havent had much time to play yet, but I was reading in the manual about positioning your loader control to float the bucket along the terrain. Only prob. is I couldnt find out how to do that. Does anyone have and idea? Any help would be appreciated.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It should be a second position forward.

In other words push the lever forward (to lower the bucket) and then push it a little more forward to reach the float position. It should stick in the float position without having to hold it there.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Last edited:

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
GWD,
Just a comment, I may be misunderstanding your message but...... when you push the joystick forward or the single lever forward for "up & down" the bucket should be going down. That's the standard hookup. If yours is not I'd suspect the hoses have been reversed.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
GWD,
Just a comment, I may be misunderstanding your message but...... when you push the joystick forward or the single lever forward for "up & down" the bucket should be going down. That's the standard hookup. If yours is not I'd suspect the hoses have been reversed.
From the center neutral position, moving the single lever forward (toward the front of the tractor) lowers the bucket. Going further forward causes the bucket to float and the detent to hold it in the float position. That is how they all came from the factory and I've never had the FEL off of any of them.

In the video, the float position was all the way the other direction or "back". My four tractors have had float all the way "forward".

It just looked odd to me given my experience with Kubota tractors. The particular model in the video may be designed for snow plowing or something else where float all the way back would make for easier operation.

kub3700

Equipment
2012 MX5100 HST
Sep 30, 2010
United States
GWD, your right the reason I posted this originally is because I watched that video and thought that wont work... so i figured I would make the post. I tried it today works great, moving the control foward when the bucket hits the ground I pushed it a little further and it worked. Thanks for the help

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
GWD, your right the reason I posted this originally is because I watched that video and thought that wont work... so i figured I would make the post. I tried it today works great, moving the control foward when the bucket hits the ground I pushed it a little further and it worked. Thanks for the help
The bucket will also go into float before it on the ground. Sometimes this is useful if using the bucket to level ground or gravel while backing up.

The amount of material spread can be varied by the angle of the bucket using the front edge. Then put it in float, drive in reverse, and you'll get a nice smooth surface (with a little practice).

RoxannH55

Equipment
BX2360, LA243 FEL, BB1248 Box Scraper
May 26, 2011
Issaquah, WA
My new BX2360 with LA243 FEL and box scraper was delivered yesterday. It is awesome.:)

I spent a few hours playing with it and that was lots of fun, except I couldn't seem to float the bucket. The surface is asphalt and I had the bucket tipped slightly down so I could scoop up some compost. When I pushed the controller all the way forward I seemed to fill down pressure and could hear the bucket scraping.

I thought the problem might be having the bucket tipped down, but this thread says it should work with the bucket tipped. I'd appreciate your advice on what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

Thanks for all your help

Roxann

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Hi Roxann, When you put your loader in the float position the bucket drops all the way down but does not have any downward pressure on it so as it travels over uneven surfaces the bucket floats up and down over them, When using the float on soft surfaces it tends to help level the material out without digging in, It would not float above the surface of the asphalt so you would still hear the bucket scraping the asphalt there just would not be any down pressure on it, gravity is all that is keeping it down in float.

Valerie

RoxannH55

Equipment
May 26, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Thanks Valerie,

Sounds like I might have been doing it right, and just didn't know it. Maybe the weight of the loader was enough to produce the feeling of down pressure.

jb62901

Sep 8, 2009
Cassopolis, Mi. SW Corner Mi.
I also have the BX2360, If you push the loader lever all the way forward it shouls lock in that position untill you pull it back. While all the way forward you can work the lever to the right or left and adjust the pitch of the bucket. John

RoxannH55

Equipment
May 26, 2011
Issaquah, WA
Thanks all, I went out and played with it a while and got it figured out. I was stopping when the down pressure started instead of pushing through it to find float. It is working as expected now.:eek: