Float function question

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
With tractor stopped, i put the joystick to full forward, and then punch it, the bucket hits the ground with a thump and stops. I curl the bucket up, bucket lip facing up and start reverse. I understand the danger of putting the front lip of the bucket contacting the ground.

If i don't float, i simply put the bucket as close to the ground without touching, and curl the bucket up, and start reverse and adjust the loader to grade the gravel.

Does that sound acceptable? Sorry i am still new to operating. Appreciate all the help i could get.
Still have to read the following posts, but that seems reasonable to me.

The risk is if you have the bucket rotated fully in the dump direction, and when backing up you would hit something, that would cause the bucket to apply compressive force to the fully extended cylinders...

You do not seem to be putting your system in that position...

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
After setting the boom control into float mode I curl the bucket lip DOWN not up, a bit at a time starting from the bucket bottom being flat to the ground, until the desired smoothing action occurs as I drive in reverse. It usually takes only a few degrees of curl. Sometimes more with light material like snow.
If I'm smoothing a surface with the bucket as I go forward, then I set float and slowly start with the bucket flat and slightly curl it down until it resists too much or digs in (can start lifting the tractor front up) then back off (curl it back up) until the desired finish results.
This is true, but one must be careful with how much he curls the bucket down. I do the same thing to some degree.

But I NEVER curl the bucket the whole way. This is the message that is important to those that may nor understand the possible negative results.

In my case, the bucket actually will point backwards if fully curled downward. When backing up, it can dig in, or worst case, if caught by an immovable object, stop the tractor. In that case, all the force generated goes to the fully extended cylinder rods.

Some have learned an important lesson in such situations. called repair of two bucket curl cylinders.

This is something we should all keep in mind.

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Still have to read the following posts, but that seems reasonable to me.

The risk is if you have the bucket rotated fully in the dump direction, and when backing up you would hit something, that would cause the bucket to apply compressive force to the fully extended cylinders...

You do not seem to be putting your system in that position...
Correct, as I said, only a few degrees of curl, if more is needed I put the box blade to work, which is the usual implement on the back anyway when the backhoe isn't attached.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Use and watch the heel of the bucket to bring more or less material with you as you back drag. Depending on how loose the material is, the more you curl the front bucket edge up, the more the heel of the bucket will dig into the material. This technique also minimizes the risk of bending a curl cylinder.
When in float mode, I'm sticking by this technique for bringing material with you as you back drag. I only curl the front bucket down below parallel when I'm trying to smooth/pack the material. The back of the bucket does a much better job of moving material than the front edge when you're back dragging in float mode, is less stress on the curl cylinders...and you can see the material you're working with. Box blade is much better at all this as has been mentioned though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user