Float function question

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
So when i punch the joystick to go into float, it seems the bucket is scraping the ground more than i’d like, even after i curl it up. How does the tractor know the level to maintain the loader height in relative to the ground? I didn’t think it could be adjusted?

i am hoping to use float to grade some gravel on my driveway.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
more and more curl in and the cutting edge will engaged the ground less and less and you can make it so it doesn't scrape at all. You should be able to curl in enough so cutting edge won't even engage with the ground and instead the outside bottom of the bucket is what will engage with the ground.

float also doesn't "maintain" or fix the bucket height. As the ground rises and falls the float should allow the bucket to rise and fall unless cutting edge bites into the ground and forces it to dig in. On frozen ground you can curl out ALOT even enough to over stress and break stuff so as always take care.

you can spread gravel on your drive in reverse by back blading. Just remember back blading can be very hard (break) curl cyl. so back blade with curly cyl. retracted is safest. Lots of rookies back blade with cyl. extended putting enough force to break stuff fast so back blading is OK but needs to be done right.

cheers

Reactions: 2 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
It doesnt know” per say, you must put the bucket angle appropriate for it to slide not dig. The loader boom just has pressure relief to be self weighted to drag. It will contour if there is enough push back(clay rock).

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
As I understand float, hydraulic fluid is not pressurized, it can move (in or out) of one side of the cylinder to the other side of the cylinder.

As for spreading out gravel, I'll fill my bucket with stone to add weight to the bucket. Then when I back drag the bucket on it's heel (back edge) it bites into the uneven gravel to level it a wee bit faster.

Reactions: 4 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So when i punch the joystick to go into float, it seems the bucket is scraping the ground more than i’d like, even after i curl it up. How does the tractor know the level to maintain the loader height in relative to the ground? I didn’t think it could be adjusted?

i am hoping to use float to grade some gravel on my driveway.
Float lets the boom and attached bucket move up/down under its own weight just like a back blade. The bucket angle does not float and is held at whatever angle you set with the bucket spool.

Dan

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have a similar question on a new tractor < 7 hours. On my old farmall the bucket weighs quite a bit and even with a one way cyl., with a even a slight downward curl the cutting edge of the bucket would always ride on the ground and snow would be picked up by the bucket. On the new tractor even with the two way hyd. the bucket is riding up the snow drifts and I end up climbing the drift instead of digging in. It seems like even with a downward curl (edge of bucket toward the ground) I am not getting a good bite on the drifts. I would like to get if figured out as there is the third Noreaster of the month coming Saturday another foot of snow coming.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just an aside maybe, and I am relying on memory, so who knows if this is reality or not...LOL.

But I think on my B2910, when in float and moving forward there are times when the loader causes the front wheels to lift off the ground.

Am I hallucinating? I am really sure this happens. Not sure it does though. Seems like it should not.

I have just used my loader so much over the last 20 years that I doubt I would be remembering something that did not happen.

Float does work like float should when moving in reverse on the B2910. Nothing unexpected there. I just figured it has to do with the geometry of my loader and never gave it a second thought.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just an aside maybe, and I am relying on memory, so who knows if this is reality or not...LOL.

But I think on my B2910, when in float and moving forward there are times when the loader causes the front wheels to lift off the ground.

Am I hallucinating? I am really sure this happens. Not sure it does though. Seems like it should not.

I have just used my loader so much over the last 20 years that I doubt I would be remembering something that did not happen.

Float does work like float should when moving in reverse on the B2910. Nothing unexpected there. I just figured it has to do with the geometry of my loader and never gave it a second thought.
From a physics perspective certainly possible. The tractor and loader are a hinged joint with the front axle in the middle and depending on the magnitude and direction of the forces pushing back on the hinge pin the hinge may be forced closed lifting the front off the ground.

Dan

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
Float lets the boom and attached bucket move up/down under its own weight just like a back blade. The bucket angle does not float and is held at whatever angle you set with the bucket spool.

Dan
That makes sense. So if i place a large log under the bucket, the bucket will just sit on top when i move it to float?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

Yes the drag from the bucket forces the loader arms straight back against the boom's pivot point on the tractor frame, which if you view the geometry of the tractor from the side, has the effect of pivoting the pivot mount points back and upwards, lifting the tractor frame.
This happens to me all the time if the loader bucket lip isn't curled back enough while floating the loader moving forward. It also depends on the relative drag factor that the ground or material pile has. I can skim the bucket along on ice without front lifting, but wet soft surfaces like sand or soil "grab" the bucket really easily and that front end really wants to jump up.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That makes sense. So if i place a large log under the bucket, the bucket will just sit on top when i move it to float?
Yes if I correctly understand what you are asking. When the loader valve is in float the boom behaves as if the cylinders were not present.

Dan

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
Yes if I correctly understand what you are asking. When the loader valve is in float the boom behaves as if the cylinders were not present.

Dan
Thanks. So basically the bucket’s own weight is dragging along the surface.

in my case, float is still digging into my gravel roadway, i think i just need to practice backgrading with my bucket more often:)

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks. So basically the bucket’s own weight is dragging along the surface.

in my case, float is still digging into my gravel roadway, i think i just need to practice backgrading with my bucket more often:)
Just to be sure what you are experiencing...

I am having trouble seeing a loader digging in when moving backwards in float, unless the bucket is tilted down fully perhaps.

And in that case, you would be offering a chance to bend you cylinder rods if you hit something solid when moving backwards...since the rods would be fully extended and would be in compression mode if the bucket lip hit an obstruction.

So what exactly are you doing when "backgrading" with your bucket? Moving in reverse? Bucket curled fully down. OR?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yet another factor with 'floating', is tractor speed.In order to 'float' there has to be some time to allow the hydraulic oil to move out /into the cylinders. Go too fast and the bucket will 'hover' in the air NOT follow the contour of the land....

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
yet another factor with 'floating', is tractor speed.In order to 'float' there has to be some time to allow the hydraulic oil to move out /into the cylinders. Go too fast and the bucket will 'hover' in the air NOT follow the contour of the land....
How long before there is nothing but air in the cylinders?

Dan

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
Just to be sure what you are experiencing...

I am having trouble seeing a loader digging in when moving backwards in float, unless the bucket is tilted down fully perhaps.

And in that case, you would be offering a chance to bend you cylinder rods if you hit something solid when moving backwards...since the rods would be fully extended and would be in compression mode if the bucket lip hit an obstruction.

So what exactly are you doing when "backgrading" with your bucket? Moving in reverse? Bucket curled fully down. OR?
With tractor stopped, i put the joystick to full forward, and then punch it, the bucket hits the ground with a thump and stops. I curl the bucket up, bucket lip facing up and start reverse. I understand the danger of putting the front lip of the bucket contacting the ground.

If i don't float, i simply put the bucket as close to the ground without touching, and curl the bucket up, and start reverse and adjust the loader to grade the gravel.

Does that sound acceptable? Sorry i am still new to operating. Appreciate all the help i could get.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Use and watch the heel of the bucket to bring more or less material with you as you back drag. Depending on how loose the material is, the more you curl the front bucket edge up, the more the heel of the bucket will dig into the material. This technique also minimizes the risk of bending a curl cylinder.

Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
With tractor stopped, i put the joystick to full forward, and then punch it, the bucket hits the ground with a thump and stops. I curl the bucket up, bucket lip facing up ...
After setting the boom control into float mode I curl the bucket lip DOWN not up, a bit at a time starting from the bucket bottom being flat to the ground, until the desired smoothing action occurs as I drive in reverse. It usually takes only a few degrees of curl. Sometimes more with light material like snow.
If I'm smoothing a surface with the bucket as I go forward, then I set float and slowly start with the bucket flat and slightly curl it down until it resists too much or digs in (can start lifting the tractor front up) then back off (curl it back up) until the desired finish results.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
After setting the boom control into float mode I curl the bucket lip DOWN not up, a bit at a time starting from the bucket bottom being flat to the ground, until the desired smoothing action occurs as I drive in reverse. It usually takes only a few degrees of curl.
+1 This is the back dragging technique I have used for decades with good results. Its also a lot easier with a round back bucket. The square back buckets are more prone to catching an edge and scraping rather than sliding over and smoothing and compacting the loose material.

Dan

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The float has nothing to do with the bucket, only the FEL arms. What ever pitch you set the bucket that will stay the same in float or not