Flickering LED headlights, Simple fix!

reamer

Equipment
B2400, BX1500
Jun 6, 2018
Ashford CT
Pull the power lead from the headlight switch and now feed the switch directly from the battery.
No more flickering....

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Pull the power lead from the headlight switch and now feed the switch directly from the battery.
No more flickering....
I do not know your particular model of Kubota, but many of the early years ones had alternating current supplied to the lights. This was done because it was more efficient electrically.

Owners who installed LED bulbs soon find out they do not run well on alternating current

Dave

reamer

Equipment
B2400, BX1500
Jun 6, 2018
Ashford CT
I do not know your particular model of Kubota, but many of the early years ones had alternating current supplied to the lights. This was done because it was more efficient electrically.

Owners who installed LED bulbs soon find out they do not run well on alternating current

Dave
HI Dave
That's why on my BX1500 they were flickering, ran direct from the battery, for constant voltage

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
HI Dave
That's why on my BX1500 they were flickering, ran direct from the battery, for constant voltage
I am not a BX expert but in general, when you do as you have, you have discarded a significant portion of the dynamo output.

It is likely possible to rectify the headlight AC and direct it to charging the battery.

Dave

reamer

Equipment
B2400, BX1500
Jun 6, 2018
Ashford CT
I am not a BX expert but in general, when you do as you have, you have discarded a significant portion of the dynamo output.

It is likely possible to rectify the headlight AC and direct it to charging the battery.

Dave

Hi Dave

I don't understand your statement. could you explain?
Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Hi Dave

I don't understand your statement. could you explain?
Thanks
Which of your two tractors are you referring two?

I need to find a wiring diagram to be certain.

In general, you will see three wires leaving the dynamo on newer models.
Three wire dynamo.

Previously, only two wire output.

It is generating three phase power. Three pairs of two wires.
Only two of the 3 wires pass through the rectifier.

The alternating current headlights utilize one of the 3 pairs of two. This current does not pass through the rectifier and remains alternating current for the lighting.

If you have a multimeter, check the two headlight wires you are no longer using at the light switch to see if there is alternating current present.

Dave

Last edited:

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Dave, If I understand: If he has the three wire dyno then he should go back to the the third wire,or phase, and install a full wave rectifier to convert that portion of dyno output to DC current. Otherwise a ~third of the output is not used. Jeff