First unread message - revisited

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
To pick up on another thread, I find the 'view first unread' will take me to the first unread message, but the definition of unread is a problem.

I think we all prefer to have that feature, and it is no trouble to click there after opening the thread. Sometimes I like to reread the initial message to help my aging brain recall the context.

Twice in the last week I have started to read the posts, then been distracted by a phone call or problem. I left the browser open at the spot where I was. When I returned in about 10 minutes, the program had marked all messages as 'read'. Another time this happened while I was composing a rather complicated reply. This is quite a nuisance, as I then have to look at the last post date and time for each thread to see if there is anything new, and I can't always remember exactly when I logged in last.

I think I know the problem. Some secure sites like online banking send a 'cookie' to your computer. Each time you access a page, the browser sends the cookie back and the secure site knows you are still logged in. For important thinks like banking, the cookie 'expires' after a certain period of inactivity. You are not really 'logged out' in a formal sense, but the secure site will no longer treat you as logged in if your browser sends back an 'expired' cookie. This is a good thing, for obvious reasons.

If this site is using the same system, then the inactivity time is set very short. For a non secure application like this, an inactivity period of an hour or so would be much more reasonable, particularly when members often use the 'keep me logged in' option.
Even if another system is being used, I would expect that there is some option available.

Additional point is that it shows my last log in as 9:23, but I know that I have been at this site continuously since about 8:15

I would appreciate it if the admins could look into the problem. It there is an 'inactivity log out' option, please set it to an hour or so.

Thanks

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
To pick up on another thread, I find the 'view first unread' will take me to the first unread message, ...
stuart - Thanks! I have been trying to find how to view the first unread post in a thread. This will make my daily visit to OTT more enjoyable. Thanks, again! :D

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Yet again today the read/unread issue caught me. I started to read the posts since yesterday (this time I wrote down my last login time). A few minutes in the phone rang. I returned 10 minutes later, my 'last login' was changed to today, and all the messages were marked as read, even in areas I had not visited yet.
It would be nice to get the 'wait time' changed to an hour or so.