First tractor purchase - tire selection

readyornot

Sep 22, 2020
USA
Hi all - I am planning to make my first tractor purchase and it’s coming down to the Kubota B2601 or LX2610/LX3310. I have some drainage/grading/stump grinding projects around the house on a larger suburban lot (for this area) and it makes more sense to buy vs rent the equipment needed. After I get done the planned projects, 80% of the tractor’s use would be for mowing a relatively flat/open lawn and clearing snow from a paved driveway. The B is probably more suited for the overall property size but the cost difference between the B and LX from isn’t all that much.

For those that have them - how are R14 tires on turf? Should I expect to rut up the lawn with R14s on the heavier LX vs the B? How is the R14 performance in snow in your experience? I’m not in a major hurry but all of the local dealers order these tractor sizes with either R4s or R14s for their inventory so the R3s would be a couple more months for delivery.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all - I am planning to make my first tractor purchase and it’s coming down to the Kubota B2601 or LX2610/LX3310. I have some drainage/grading/stump grinding projects around the house on a larger suburban lot (for this area) and it makes more sense to buy vs rent the equipment needed. After I get done the planned projects, 80% of the tractor’s use would be for mowing a relatively flat/open lawn and clearing snow from a paved driveway. The B is probably more suited for the overall property size but the cost difference between the B and LX from isn’t all that much.

For those that have them - how are R14 tires on turf? Should I expect to rut up the lawn with R14s on the heavier LX vs the B? How is the R14 performance in snow in your experience? I’m not in a major hurry but all of the local dealers order these tractor sizes with either R4s or R14s for their inventory so the R3s would be a couple more months for delivery.
There have been several threads about the R14Ts herein, as well as current comments from a new LX3310 owner on TBN.

I investigated this question a year or two ago when considering ordering a new LX3310 (haven't yet).

Initially, I was enchanted with the R14Ts, but have changed my mind after viewing identical models side-by-side with R14Ts and R4s. The R14Ts are prone to serious ballooning which is immediately obvious when compared side-by-side with R4s.

That said, the R14Ts should perform better than R4s (or R3s) in snow, especially if one deflates a bit (don't do this if you have loaded tires without tubes) but probably not as good as turfs.

SDT

Last edited:

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY

I love the R14s in snow and as long as your lawn isn't mushy I don't see them being an issue on your lawn. I've yet to mow with mine but I don't expect any problems once it dries up from the snow melt.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I would recomend the LX2610, more loader capacity, no regen like LX3310. Fluid filled tires makes tractor more stable for loader work but could rut up lawn when wet. R14's weren't available when I bought BX2370, BX2650 R4's were better for loader work (stiffer sidewalls). 4wd is harder on lawn than 2wd. 2wd should be OK on relatively flat/open lawn. My only regret was not getting all 3 rear remotes - didn't know about top n' tilt 3pt setups.

Should I expect to rut up the lawn with R14s on the heavier LX vs the B?
20200401_152545.jpg

Buy a decent roller and watch your neighbors get their riding mowers with turf tires get stuck when "spring fever" sets in.

alfb

Jul 18, 2020
Loomis, Ca
I bought a b2601 about 5 months ago. The R14's seem pretty good on the grass, though it would be smart to keep it out of 4wd while mowing a nice lawn. The B2601 comes with a a swiftach which allows you to remove the loader pretty quickly and that would eliminate a lot of weight for the lawn. I really like the LX but the extra weight kept me from buying it. Al

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I have the LX2610 SU with the oversized R14T's. Ballast filled, too. Unless my yard is soaking wet, or I forget to take it out of 4WD, or try to pivot on one rear wheel, I rarely make a mark. If it's wet, multiple passes will start tearing up turf. I moved 10 yards of dirt one bucket full at a time for a neighbor, and other than a few soft spots I compacted, you can't tell I was in his yard. The trick is to avoid using the same track over and over. Keep mixing it up.

Not sure what the ballooning comment means, but I've had nothing but great service from the R14T's. Keep 'em inflated to spec, just like your car or pickup, and you should be golden. I rarely need 4x4 unless it's wet and muddy. Then, I don't think it'll matter what kind of tire you put on the chewing gum clay we have. It's just going to fill up and you'll be dependent on how well it sheds mud. I find the R14T's do it as well as any R1 or R4 I've ever seen.

What you think will be a reduced service after you're done with your stumps will be a lotta neighbors noticing the big orange machine and asking for favors. Nothing wrong with the barter system if the neighbors have something you want in exchange for a couple hours of fun time on your tractor. I spread 20 yards of dirt, and I got 4 racks of ribs and two Boston Butts in exchange. This would have cost me at least $200 at any of the local BBQ joints, and his is much better than any of the chains. He's also going to get his son (who manages the local Harley Davidson dealership) to powder coat some braces I made for my step on my LX, and some brackets I made for ammo-box tool carriers. You'll be surprised how much better neighbor you are because of being able to help out others.

I'll second the motion on the 2610 vs the 3310. I didn't want the extra doo-dads for the bunny kissers, so 25 HP is the limit. You'll max out on PTO driven components pretty quick, particularly stuff like chippers or other high inertia loads. Still, I have no problem handling a Woodland Mills WC-68 chipper. Let the big dawg eat. Another caveat if you elect to get the oversize tires on an SU model. Kubota didn't take the extra radius of the tire size in mind, and the lift arm links have to be moved after the dealer sets them up. This increases lift range, but reduces lift capacity. I still have no problem lifting my 850 lb chipper.