First time loaded on my trailer

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My thoughts are that it is a very nice trailer and the tractor ain't half bad either, (y) (y)

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
...and room for the BH(y) Add up your weights when you get the BH on, I was surprised to find mine weighing in over 8K lbs.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Just curious, you stated 5K axle or is that 5k load capacity?

Just making some guesses here, so please do not take my math as gospel,

The trailer probably weighs 1,200#
The tractor empty guessing 1,600#
Adding fluids and if you have tires loaded, guessing another 400#
Mower deck guessing 300# depending on size of deck
The loader arms, guessing 600#
Guessing pallet forks around 250#
Those above have a weight of 4,350#s.

I don't know how much a backhoe weighs so this is just a huge guess, but guessing 600#s and that would vary depending on buckets size.

So just throwing numbers at it, it looks like you will be right at your trailer limit or maybe a little over.

Again, this a guesses, I would be curious to know how close I come, but don't use these numbers to determine if it is actually safe or not.

Reactions: 1 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Here's what I did gathering info from as many reliable resources as possible.

Weight Calcs.jpg

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
You may want to take off the 3pt links. They will need to be off to mount the BH and you don't want to end up leaving them at the dealer.

Jamiec

Equipment
B2601
Jun 30, 2020
Trenton ontario
Just curious, you stated 5K axle or is that 5k load capacity?

Just making some guesses here, so please do not take my math as gospel,

The trailer probably weighs 1,200#
The tractor empty guessing 1,600#
Adding fluids and if you have tires loaded, guessing another 400#
Mower deck guessing 300# depending on size of deck
The loader arms, guessing 600#
Guessing pallet forks around 250#
Those above have a weight of 4,350#s.

I don't know how much a backhoe weighs so this is just a huge guess, but guessing 600#s and that would vary depending on buckets size.

So just throwing numbers at it, it looks like you will be right at your trailer limit or maybe a little over.

Again, this a guesses, I would be curious to know how close I come, but don't use these numbers to determine if it is actually safe or not.
Payload it 2014 kgs, or 4431 lbs, im pretty sure I'm safe. The mower, loader and backhoe will never really be together, only one time when I bring it home. I dont currently require the mower but purchased it for future use. The trailer dry weight is 700lbs, its very light.

If you zoom in on the trailer you will see the payload sticker. I am going to weigh the tractor and trailer when I pick it up, it will have the mower, backhoe and forks on the loader. Truck stop is right next to my dealer.

Attachments

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Nice trailer, and kubota.. I would recommend some good quality light truck tires or American made trailer tires..

I've had many blowouts on the made in china tires that come with most under 7000 pound capacity trailers carrying far less weight then its rated for.. the sidewalls are junk.. when I moved to west palm beach from the Florida keys my cousin towed my single axle big text behind the moving truck while I towed the boat with my truck and driving behind him every time he went over a bump the trailer would rock side to side.. rated for 3500 pounds probably was under 2800..

But it was a shed! So a bit top heavy... just something to think about

Gotta put my new l2501 on my 7000 pound car hauler next.. loaded it with my bx23s just for fun

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
My motto is “over built is under rated” I carry a smaller tractor on a heavier double axle trailer with dual axle brakes. I also installed load range G, 14 ply all steel trailer tires and use an EZ Lift stabilizer hitch system. Also a 1 1/4” Shank tow ball for added strength. 4 10K ratchet straps with d ring ends and axle straps. Totally overkill for a BX. I’m ok with that. Overkill is under rated. There’s enough outside sources that can ruin your day, I don’t want mediocre equipment to add to any chance of accident.

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I ran a 50' lowbed for a year when I was younger.

The old man handing off the keys gave me a bunch of pointers.

The best and most memorable he gave was, "You are all tied down when you can take the trailer off the truck, tip it upside down and give it a little shake. If nothing comes off, you are set to go.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: "You are all tied down when you can take the trailer off the truck, tip it upside down and give it a little shake. If nothing comes off, you are set to go.

Truer words were never spoke !!!

and your 'tag line' is also very true !!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Be careful using the lasso type of straps on a HST tractor. There is nothing mechanical holding that tractor in place except the parking brake. Also there is nothing to prevent the front wheels from turning unless you lock the tractor in 4 WD. Then again only the parking brake is holding the tractor in place.

The lasso straps are great to use but be aware of their limitations. Also the bucket on the hoe needs to be sitting on the deck of the trailer with a strap across it. At least in the US that is the way the law is written but often ignored.

Good luck and enjoy

Jamiec

Equipment
B2601
Jun 30, 2020
Trenton ontario
Be careful using the lasso type of straps on a HST tractor. There is nothing mechanical holding that tractor in place except the parking brake. Also there is nothing to prevent the front wheels from turning unless you lock the tractor in 4 WD. Then again only the parking brake is holding the tractor in place.

The lasso straps are great to use but be aware of their limitations. Also the bucket on the hoe needs to be sitting on the deck of the trailer with a strap across it. At least in the US that is the way the law is written but often ignored.

Good luck and enjoy

Thank you for the input, I always leave it in 4wd when loaded on my trailer, well the 2 times I've pulled it. In ontario out loads just need to be secure, I can't find anything about the hoe as of yet.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Thank you for the input, I a
Thank you for the input, I always leave it in 4wd when loaded on my trailer, well the 2 times I've pulled it. In ontario out loads just need to be secure, I can't find anything about the hoe as of yet.
I usually take a 4 x 4 and strap it across the trailer with a ratchet strap. Then drive the tractor up against the 4 x 4 and place a second 4 x 4 across the trailer behind the either set of wheels. I move tractors or other wheeled machines up to 4 - 500 miles at a time with the lasso straps and 4 x 4s.

For your short and more frequent trips you could by those "rubber" wheel chock. If you where to put eye bolts (4 of them) into the ends then you could bungee cord them to each other on ONE of the wheels. This would prevent movement if the brake came loose or you forget to set it.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
It may only be a requirement for commercially plated loads on your area. I know that all rules are not equal in my state for commercial vs. civilian. Not saying one is right or wrong, but I do not need to place straps over my implements if I’m transporting non-commercially. I do, but it’s not required by the AHJ.

I have also been looking at the lasso type tire straps. It sure looks like a nice way to secure my B2650 to my trailer. Depending on what else is on the trailer, it can be a challenge to route the chains appropriately on the tractor. A heavy strap at each corner looks to be the cat’s meow.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It may only be a requirement for commercially plated loads on your area. I know that all rules are not equal in my state for commercial vs. civilian. Not saying one is right or wrong, but I do not need to place straps over my implements if I’m transporting non-commercially. I do, but it’s not required by the AHJ.

I have also been looking at the lasso type tire straps. It sure looks like a nice way to secure my B2650 to my trailer. Depending on what else is on the trailer, it can be a challenge to route the chains appropriately on the tractor. A heavy strap at each corner looks to be the cat’s meow.
National DOT rules come into play when A. You are involved in interstate commerce (not intrastate) and B. the object under 5' long is over 1000lb or over 5' in length. Add a strap for each additional 5'. This is found in the cargo section.

There is also a specific section about heavy equipment most rules come into play over 10,000lbs.