First Kubota for big guy!

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Look at the Grand L 60 series. Very roomy operators station. I am about your size and have size 14 shoes and have no problems with the layout.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My only concern with the MX5400 was the weight. The land we’ll be clearing/cleaning is primarily wetland.
I have a b and an Mx. at my property up. North I have swamped areas and streams. Believe it or not when it gets soupy, the MX has way more traction and yet it makes way less of a mess…this is with loaded tires and either a bush hog or a backhoe on. I believe it is due to the tires. They are a bit wider which I belive gives a little more flotation. Also the MX doesn’t have tilt steering at least not on my open station. I wish did as it’s a reach for me to the wheel. The Mx has a lot more room than say a B. Regarding you shoe size For f that is a consideration I’d make sure you check the boots you wear when it gets cold or when working in the woods to try the controls. The controls on the MX and grand L are very different in my opinion. If hydrostatic is important I’d make sure the controls are what you want vs a glide shift or reverser type. Just a thought.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I thought about this today while hauling logs from the creek bottom with my L4701. If I was 6’ 6”, 340lb instead of 5’ 11”, 210lb would this operator station be cramped? I’ve never been 6’ 6” so how would I know? My son is 6’ 5” or so and about 250lb but he’s not here and he’s never driven it so that’s not helpful. Then I had a really useful thought: I’m driving a 7’ x 32” white oak log in the grapple up a 8.5/12 slope 10” from a 50’ shear drop; maybe I should quit thinking about hypotheticals and pay attention to what I’m doing. Then I thought, this is one of the reasons I don’t have something even slightly bigger, because we’d need a bulldozer to take out about 200 mature trees to widen this crazy side sloped trail down the face of this drop off.

Later I thought you pretty much have to sit your butt in the seat to know what’s comfortable for you. Not sure there’s any substitute for that.

If anyone wonders what a L4701 will pick up, it will pick up this; and this is about all it will pick up. It was what I was toddling up the trail with while pondering the difficulties of persons larger than average. My wife called to discuss dinner so I stopped at the top of the roomy and relatively flat ridge to talk to her and took the opportunity to document the max loader capacity of the L4701/LA765 in practice before continuing to the wood yard as I can’t hear her adequately over the sound of the engine. I hear the MX will pick up more.

View attachment 70956
I don’t have grapple but have forks can lift a ton to a height I can move around or unload off trailer obliviously not to full height !!!

Reactions: 1 user

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I'm 6'2" and 215 or so, but I can tell you a MX sitting area is absolutely huge in every dimension in comparison to my L2501. The L4701 is in between the sizes with a bit less features, smaller wheels and tires, and the MX also lets you use weights on the rear wheels if you want. The front tires are also noticeably wider as is the entire tractor which helps with stability.

If you can't tell, I really like the MX. For my uses, I couldn't justify the extra money.

One of my local dealers strongly encouraged the MX compared to L4701 mainly due to the relatively low cost difference between them for a much more capable tractor.
The MX rubber floor mat fits the L4701 plat
I'm 6'2" and 215 or so, but I can tell you a MX sitting area is absolutely huge in every dimension in comparison to my L2501. The L4701 is in between the sizes with a bit less features, smaller wheels and tires, and the MX also lets you use weights on the rear wheels if you want. The front tires are also noticeably wider as is the entire tractor which helps with stability.

If you can't tell, I really like the MX. For my uses, I couldn't justify the extra money.

One of my local dealers strongly encouraged the MX compared to L4701 mainly due to the relatively low cost difference between them for a much more capable tractor.
The floor mat of the MX 5400 fits the L4701 platform as I have purchased and installed.Rear tires are same size fronts obliviously are not different loaders.I’m 6.4 at 275 lbs choose L4701 over MX 5200 at 1800.00 price difference.

Attachments

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
I don't have input for tractor model . I bought a used L48TLB, there was no way I could afford new. I'm 6'3", 230lbs, 36inseam, and 14 boot. I found the HST treadle a pain, especially reverse with my heel. While spun in the backhoe position it wasn't much better, short and cramped. The seat was in need of replacement when I got it. So while replacing it, I moved it back 2-3" and added spacers to raise it about 2". It's only a few inches either way but made a huge difference. I'm the only one to use it so why not make it more user friendly.
As previously stated, if you can't find a tractor that fits well. A good dealer should be able to make a small modification if needed.