Firewood Lifting Capacity on BX

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
2021 BX2380 w/ a plethora of attachments
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Well a few weeks ago I was posting about lifting the OAK logs and maneuvering them to cut them up, well now I'm trying to figure out ways of stacking the wood.

I feel like I've finally found the limits of the BX2380 (not surprised) but it's not due to the lack of trying nor adjusting any hydraulic capacities. I decided to do the IBC Tote concept to store the firewood in since I had a couple laying around which works out to being ~1/3 cord of wood. When it was full it measured out to be around 36"x44"x36" but to actually lift it up and drive around I had to take some wood out and its about 36"x44"x30" (or 28 Cu FT) or a heavy 1/4 of a cord.

At the end of the day this method works just fine to haul wood around the yard to fill up the storage inside or have sitting beside the outdoor firepit but I wouldn't say it's practical since I cannot lift this much with the FEL. Keep in mind this is OAK logs which were cut down 2.5 years ago and only cut into fireplace lengths about a week or so ago. I hadn't checked the moisture content yet.

If the Kubota BX could lift just a bit more that would be handy. After watching numerous YouTube videos it's been proven that a JD 1 or 2 series can ultimately lift more with the FEL, but then saying that if processing firewood was my main task with a tractor I'd just upgrade to a larger Kubota model.

If anyone else has any suggestions or methods of moving firewood around their property I'd like that.

**Trying to upload a video**

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
attach bags of helium to your tote?

Seriously....no suggestions but that looks pretty cool, what you''e done and what you can do with a 'BX2380

Good job.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That's exactly how I store/move mine too.

Except I do not cut the top bar horizontal bar off in order to "keep some rigidity".

My L's FEL with forks will lift it accordingly.

Green oak ~3/4 full (I can lift high enough to stack them)

Dry oak (18 months) 100% full (I can lift high enough to stack them)

I have never tried to go higher than required to stack them.

So when I have "green stuff" I have to make 2 trips and manually transfer to fill it up full.

I think we both need MX's 🍺 (y)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Get a rear 3point pallet mover and use that to move the totes

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well a few weeks ago I was posting about lifting the OAK logs and maneuvering them to cut them up, well now I'm trying to figure out ways of stacking the wood.

I feel like I've finally found the limits of the BX2380 (not surprised) but it's not due to the lack of trying nor adjusting any hydraulic capacities. I decided to do the IBC Tote concept to store the firewood in since I had a couple laying around which works out to being ~1/3 cord of wood. When it was full it measured out to be around 36"x44"x36" but to actually lift it up and drive around I had to take some wood out and its about 36"x44"x30" (or 28 Cu FT) or a heavy 1/4 of a cord.

At the end of the day this method works just fine to haul wood around the yard to fill up the storage inside or have sitting beside the outdoor firepit but I wouldn't say it's practical since I cannot lift this much with the FEL. Keep in mind this is OAK logs which were cut down 2.5 years ago and only cut into fireplace lengths about a week or so ago. I hadn't checked the moisture content yet.

If the Kubota BX could lift just a bit more that would be handy. After watching numerous YouTube videos it's been proven that a JD 1 or 2 series can ultimately lift more with the FEL, but then saying that if processing firewood was my main task with a tractor I'd just upgrade to a larger Kubota model.

If anyone else has any suggestions or methods of moving firewood around their property I'd like that.

In one word: trailer.
You can tow much more than you can "tote".

Dan

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
That's exactly how I store/move mine too.

Except I do not cut the top bar horizontal bar off in order to "keep some rigidity".

My L's FEL with forks will lift it accordingly.

Green oak ~3/4 full (I can lift high enough to stack them)

Dry oak (18 months) 100% full (I can lift high enough to stack them)

I have never tried to go higher than required to stack them.

So when I have "green stuff" I have to make 2 trips and manually transfer to fill it up full.

I think we both need MX's 🍺 (y)
I'm constantly thinking about maybe getting a second tractor... however the LX-series would be perfect an M would be overkill. lol

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
The first thing I would do is invest in a good pair of work boots. You look like your ready for the beach not wood cutting chores. 😎Just kidding. Like Hokie said I use the trailer method, yeah you have to handle the wood twice but you move 2 or 3 times the amount of wood

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If you still have the plastic cubes, and plan on leaving the totes out side. Cut them in half diagonally to make roofs, then try them on with zip ties.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
If you can get the totes at a low price, maybe it would make sense to cut them down to the next bar. If you could then lift and stack it might be a good option.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Couple thoughts I would mention…

1. if you are wanting to stack the totes, I’d be cautious about cutting parts out of the frame…just a recommendation…I would not want anyone standing next to it if it decides to STB.

2. If want to reduce handling there are two options (maybe more). First would be pay the piper….but that would not necessarily reduce handling just offer more lift (which may or may not really help). I know some don’t like to hear that but every machine has a SWLL…max lift is not the same as SWLL. Second option would be to move the work (log) to where you want to stack the split wood and do the cutting, splitting and stacking in same place. Depending on your process it may reduce or streamline a step in the process. (In that case a cutting rack for the log(s) is helpful and safer IMO).

personally I would say being careful how you pile and how much you pile logs in a single place in terms of the logs might reduce some of the work vs buying different machine. A pile of logs is a lot of work, unless you have a firewood processor, it’s a lot of handling and work no matter how you look at it. Ultimately you have to be able to move the work or handle it…one piece at a time or in large quantities.

Am also a believer in the towing vs toting, but I think a wagon is a little easier than a trailer as it’s a bit more stable and easier to hook up/ unhook. (I have both but prefer a wagon…wagon is less handy in the woods though in terms of navigating trees).

I am not sure if any of that helps or not? 🥃

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Could you put the totes in the trailer and fill them, move to storage spot and drag off the trailer?

Then unload part of the tote as you need it until you can then move the remaining load in the tote to where it is convenient? That way you’ll only double handle part of the load.

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
The first thing I would do is invest in a good pair of work boots. You look like your ready for the beach not wood cutting chores. 😎Just kidding. Like Hokie said I use the trailer method, yeah you have to handle the wood twice but you move 2 or 3 times the amount of wood
HAHA! I knew someone was going to comment on that... literally only checking the lifting capacity. I don't do any work without my Red Wings on.

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
If you can get the totes at a low price, maybe it would make sense to cut them down to the next bar. If you could then lift and stack it might be a good option.
I thought of that so I cut the tote one bar down but the FEL cannot lift this amount higher than a couple inches so that was a bust.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

It would appear that you violated....... "the first order of tractoring"
BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!

Unfortunately you didn't!

Do not feel badly about it though.
Thousands of folks.......fall into that same trap every year.
More $$$$$$ can fix it!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Use a mini farm wagon ! About $300, 4x6 to 4x8 in length.You can adjust the length for two totes. Also a wagon( 4 wheels) allows you to drop the wagon EASILY and go do 'other stuff'. And...you can join the wagons together as a wagon train !!!
Turn the totes on their side, this give you EASY access to the firewood instead of the usual 'try to grab from the top down approach.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Here is a little more on my process when I can…sometimes based on the terrain and the machine I use I have no choice but to cut up in place (in that case I use a grapple to hold the log up…buts it’s extra handling through the complete process) But ideally, I move the logs with a wagon to a common location, then cut up in a rack, then place the cut pieces directly into the pallet. Moving to the common place to cut / split / stack is the best method for me…I think each of us probably has a little different process based on their set up and what works best for them.

Attachments

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
"After watching numerous YouTube videos it's been proven that a JD 1 or 2 series can ultimately lift more with the FEL "

Yeah but thats all just lift off the ground, not driving around on uneven terrain while the wimpy front 4 ply tires are squashed down to the rim! I get a kick out of those which can lift more tests! Its not a real world application!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If the Kubota BX could lift just a bit more that would be handy.

Try a bigger L or M series tractor and get a set of forks. The you can stack your un-cut tote wood bins two high. Totes are made to stack 3 high.