Finishing Mower Noise

Snobhiller

Equipment
Kubota 35TLB
Apr 24, 2017
Cook, MN
I have a Buhler/Farm King 72" finishing mower that came with a tractor I purchased three years ago. I have a brush hog and have found no use for the finishing mower so I decided to sell it. I had only used two times before and none for the last two years. So I completely cleaned it up and checked the belts and the blades and basically found that the mower looked in perfect condition. So I hooked it up to my tractor to give it one more test before listing it for sale and found that the mower was extremely loud. I checked the gear box and looked underneath for anything visible but cannot find anything. Had a friend come over and we looked and checked everything for over an hour and still could not find what was causing it to be so loud. So, my long winded question is it common for these mowers to be noisey just from the sound of the blades. There are three blades but they are not free spinning like a brush hog.

Attachments

bdale

Jul 24, 2016
N.C.
I have a Buhler/Farm King 72" finishing mower that came with a tractor I purchased three years ago. I have a brush hog and have found no use for the finishing mower so I decided to sell it. I had only used two times before and none for the last two years. So I completely cleaned it up and checked the belts and the blades and basically found that the mower looked in perfect condition. So I hooked it up to my tractor to give it one more test before listing it for sale and found that the mower was extremely loud. I checked the gear box and looked underneath for anything visible but cannot find anything. Had a friend come over and we looked and checked everything for over an hour and still could not find what was causing it to be so loud. So, my long winded question is it common for these mowers to be noisey just from the sound of the blades. There are three blades but they are not free spinning like a brush hog.
I have looked at some of these and the blade tip speed is quiet high, as high as 17000 on some models I would suspect that is why its loud.

Last edited:

Bulldog777

Equipment
L3200, RTA1266, Modern 5' BB, Mustang 60 FM
Jan 25, 2017
Texas
If you didn't take off the belt covers, I would take them off and check the belts. Sometimes critters like to build nests in those places. If belts are good, stand clear and run the mower to see if the noise can be narrowed down. Also, some fresh grease could help. There should be grease fittings on top of the pulleys. Hope this helps a little.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mine makes a pretty good whirring noise. But just sounds like a mower deck spinning :)

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Take the belts off and see if there is any play in the shafts.
Run it with no belt to see if it is the gear box.
My neighbor's sounds loud and it is 500'+ away.

Ray

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
From the looks of the mower in the photo, it looks in good condition and very well maintained. I have a five foot finish mower and it is also very noisy. As long as you have oil in the gear box and keep it greased, it should be fine. Just remember to wear your ear plugs!

Snobhiller

Equipment
Kubota 35TLB
Apr 24, 2017
Cook, MN
From the responses I'm thinking the loud noise is par for the course. Although the belts are original and appear to be the correct ones I had a difficult time getting the belts back on and they seem a little tight even though the tension adjustment is as loose as it can go. I wish I would have paid attention to the noise when I first got it.

I guess I have time to figure it out since the forcast is calling for snow for the next two days!

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well thats why its so loud, your trying to blow snow :D

Camlocker75

Equipment
L3830, L3901, JD 5103
Dec 30, 2015
Alabama
If you can hear the mower over the tractor, I would suspect something was wrong. My old woods makes a whirring sound, like a loud rush of wind, basically just the sound of the blades....no mechanical noise.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk