Finally got a Kubota ... got some ??s

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
Hi every one ! After years of wanting a Kubota tractor , i finally puchaced one . Its a L245DT that was definetely used ( and cosmetically abused ) But seems to be in decent mechanical shape . I picked it up for 4000.00 with loader and scraper . Hr meter broke at 850 hrs so hard to say how many hrs are on it . I gave it some tlc ( oil change , fuel filter change ,battery, fixed little things that were cobbled and gave it a rattle can paint job . Engine starts fairly easy and runs pretty good . My main concern/question is when useing the loader ( up or down ) seams to really put a heavy load on engine , almost wanting to die unless u really throttle up . Is that normal ? Is there any tune -up procedures beside fluid and filter change it should do or have done ? Sorry im a idiot when it comes to diesels .

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Welcome! What Vic said about the hydro and tires.

Your Bota looks good for it's aged. I had a L245 2wd back in the 80s' and 90s'. It was a great little tractor!

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Oh and make sure you grease the front axle pivot mounts. I just went through a
nightmare with the front end on our old 3750, from lack of grease in the right places...

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You got a tractor that looks just like mine....... without all the bumps, scratches, bruises, dents, etc. Ok, so yours just looks a whole lot better than mine but the hour meter on mine sits at 1850 and just stays there.

What Vic said about the filter screen is the first place to look. The other alternative is all those lovely rubber hoses that are connected to the spool valve control without quick disconnects. Mine is the same and I dread the day I have to replace hoses.

By the way, I want more into about..........

Attachments

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
Thanks for the tips ... ya , i noticed when i bought it the rear tires were backwards ( since photos have been flipped ) . Hey Vic , do you have a direct link to thread about changing hyd fluid and cleaning screen ? I dont have a service manual and think that would be a great idea . Is there any kind of valve adjustment or injector cleaning that should be addressed ? Im pretty finatical about keeping my stuff in tip / top shape

bky

Nov 8, 2009
ky
also hyd fluid capacity ? I bought a 5 gal pail to top of res for loader and have about 3-1/2 to 4 gals left .
the reservoir takes 90weight ear oil. also check out the front and real axle they take90 weight as well. Nice looking rig you have there.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
the reservoir takes 90weight ear oil. also check out the front and real axle they take90 weight as well. Nice looking rig you have there.

Maybe in the trans if you don't have a loader. I run UTF in mine and it's thin compared to gear oil and still pretty thick in the cold.

I have the same tractor and loader, but it runs off of the tractor hydraulics, no external pump, and no bog down, lifts a load fine at idle.

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
Thanks for all the complements !! It didnt look quite that good when i bought it . A days worth of steam cleaning /masking and some Chevy orange engine paint made it look much better . I assumed the rectangeular fluid tank on the r/h side was for hyd fluid .. did i screw up ? I havent really used it since i added the fluid .. do i need to drain and add 90 wt ? It appeared to be hyd fluid in there and wouldnt have guessed anything else .

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Either way, I would clean/replace all the filters and fluids to start with. Might need to get a guage so you can verify relief pressures as you begin to troubleshoot this. I have a PTO pump to power my backhoe and it does not bog the engine either, I think you may have something yet to sort out.

mrmopardave

Equipment
l245dt
Jan 8, 2012
Sparks , nevada , usa
I confirmed my tractor has a seperate hyd system for the loader . (driven with pump off front of crankshaft ) The tractors internal hydraulics seem to work smooth with quik responce as they should . There is an inline spin on hyd filter that has a scratched on date of 93 so im sure its due for a change . Unforetuneatly there is no part # on it . Its about 3-1/2 ins across and 5 ins tall . My Ford 8N seems to be running the same filter , but no #s on it either . Any ideas ??

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks for the filter input , still looking for input or info as far as tune up / injector cleaning or running over head on valves ?
I would just change fluids and filters and make sure it has fresh fuel.
Maybe add injector cleaner fuel supplement. Then put some hours on it...