'Fess Up'......mistakes you've made or close calls.......

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Since we got on trees a combo tree/tractor.

The Kubota had about 3 hours on it so although I had a few thousand hours general tractor experience it was new to me and I was unfamiliar with its capabilities. Was cutting a large oak in the edge of the woods within striking distance of my house. Had it roped to the base of a large tree away from the house with a 30K work strength rope so no way it could fall toward the house. Had another rope hooked to the tractor to pull it if needed.

My father was there to observe and advise. He had cut many, many trees and had little confidence in my abilities despite my time with a tree service causing me to have felled many more than him. Because we were dropping it toward the woods we had a very narrow window to drop it where it wouldn’t get hung up in other large trees. I made the face cut, looked it over, and told my father I needed to adjust it just a little bit as the original cut would hit the big tree on the right we were trying to miss. He said it looked good to him. We debated it a good 15 minutes and he finally convinced me to proceed without adjusting the face cut. Made the back cut and it wasn’t falling, which was no shock the way it was weighted. Pulled on it with the Kubota and couldn’t budge it. Was kind of disappointed in the lack of drawbar power. Wedged it over and it fell exactly where I said it would, hung up in the big hickory on the right. My father said, “You know, back when I wasn’t very good at cutting trees I’d use a trick where I’d put a rafter square in the face cut and wherever that rafter square is pointing is where the tree is going.” I asked him if he had a rafter square. He said he did. Probably the most disrespectful thing I ever said to him, but requested he go get his rafter square and shove it up his a$$ because it fell exactly where I said it would.

So then we had this tree at a 45 degree angle inexorably entangled and pulling more with the Kubota was doing nothing, so we finished cutting the hinge off hoping it would slide down. It didn’t. So then took the Kubota and tried pushing it off the stump with the loader. No good and still disappointed with the lack of power. Hooked my father’s alleged grade 70 1/4” 50’ chain to it to pull it off. Broke the chain twice (obviously not a 70). Moved up to a pair of 25’ 3/8” chains. Still no good. Used a 100 ton railroad jack against an adjacent tree and pushed it off the stump. It immediately jammed in the dirt, hung as bad as ever. All this took about two hours of screwing around with it after it was hung.

I was really disappointed in the lack of power my new tractor had in comparison to our old gassers, but we’d tried using the old Farmall H as well and it wouldn’t move it either. Then had a moment of clarity, looked at the range shifter and saw I’d had the dang Kubota in Medium the whole time. Got the H out of the way, rehooked the 3/8” chains, WOT, low gear, and plowed ditch with the butt of the tree until the whole thing finally came down. I was much happier with the max drawbar on my new tractor.

The tree came down, no one got hurt, no damage other than my father’s proof coil 1/4” chain and a little bit to the hickory tree. But there was a LOT of stupid going on that day.
I watch a lot of "Buckin Billy Ray Smith" on you tube. He is always using the saw handle as a guide when he has it in the cut. I think a lot of saws are set up with one end of the handle at 90 deg and a mark on the other side of the case. He is one crazy good faller and I have learned quite a bit about wedging from him too.

Bill

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Since we got on trees a combo tree/tractor.

The Kubota had about 3 hours on it so although I had a few thousand hours general tractor experience it was new to me and I was unfamiliar with its capabilities. Was cutting a large oak in the edge of the woods within striking distance of my house. Had it roped to the base of a large tree away from the house with a 30K work strength rope so no way it could fall toward the house. Had another rope hooked to the tractor to pull it if needed.

My father was there to observe and advise. He had cut many, many trees and had little confidence in my abilities despite my time with a tree service causing me to have felled many more than him. Because we were dropping it toward the woods we had a very narrow window to drop it where it wouldn’t get hung up in other large trees. I made the face cut, looked it over, and told my father I needed to adjust it just a little bit as the original cut would hit the big tree on the right we were trying to miss. He said it looked good to him. We debated it a good 15 minutes and he finally convinced me to proceed without adjusting the face cut. Made the back cut and it wasn’t falling, which was no shock the way it was weighted. Pulled on it with the Kubota and couldn’t budge it. Was kind of disappointed in the lack of drawbar power. Wedged it over and it fell exactly where I said it would, hung up in the big hickory on the right. My father said, “You know, back when I wasn’t very good at cutting trees I’d use a trick where I’d put a rafter square in the face cut and wherever that rafter square is pointing is where the tree is going.” I asked him if he had a rafter square. He said he did. Probably the most disrespectful thing I ever said to him, but requested he go get his rafter square and shove it up his a$$ because it fell exactly where I said it would.

So then we had this tree at a 45 degree angle inexorably entangled and pulling more with the Kubota was doing nothing, so we finished cutting the hinge off hoping it would slide down. It didn’t. So then took the Kubota and tried pushing it off the stump with the loader. No good and still disappointed with the lack of power. Hooked my father’s alleged grade 70 1/4” 50’ chain to it to pull it off. Broke the chain twice (obviously not a 70). Moved up to a pair of 25’ 3/8” chains. Still no good. Used a 100 ton railroad jack against an adjacent tree and pushed it off the stump. It immediately jammed in the dirt, hung as bad as ever. All this took about two hours of screwing around with it after it was hung.

I was really disappointed in the lack of power my new tractor had in comparison to our old gassers, but we’d tried using the old Farmall H as well and it wouldn’t move it either. Then had a moment of clarity, looked at the range shifter and saw I’d had the dang Kubota in Medium the whole time. Got the H out of the way, rehooked the 3/8” chains, WOT, low gear, and plowed ditch with the butt of the tree until the whole thing finally came down. I was much happier with the max drawbar on my new tractor.

The tree came down, no one got hurt, no damage other than my father’s proof coil 1/4” chain and a little bit to the hickory tree. But there was a LOT of stupid going on that day.
Another trick I have used to get a hung up one down that is off the stump and in the ground. I wrap the chain around the base with a choke and over the top so as I pull it is rolling it, For me it works better than just pulling.

Bill

Reactions: 1 users

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
Some days I only make one mistake, I get out of bed.

I had an old IH model H with a manure bucket. I was pulling rocks out of a parking area. I left it running, my 4-year old in the seat and I got down to move the chain to the next rock. (And before the internet cops start, he could not reach any of the controls and this was over 0 years ago). As I was pulling the chain one foot fell into a rut and I couldn't swing the other foot out to balance as the chain was against it. I fell into the bucket and blacked out. When I came to, my son was looking at me strangely and my head hurt.

I cracked my skull when I hit one of the teeth in the bucket. An operation later and I am much smarter about what I do

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Another trick I have used to get a hung up one down that is off the stump and in the ground. I wrap the chain around the base with a choke and over the top so as I pull it is rolling it, For me it works better than just pulling.

Bill
Good tip. That’s exactly how we were able to get it started moving. Once it started moving no way I was stopping until it hit the ground.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
My neighbor gave me 5 square bales of hay. I ran the BX over to get them with no weight on the back of the tractor. Stacked the bales on the FEL. No problem until I started down the incline to my back yard! The rear wheels started to come off the ground giving me a fast ride down hill with no control! Suddenly I remembered someone here say to drop the FEL to the ground! That got me back under control of the machine! I cleaned my pants and went back to work!

wendan

Equipment
L3301, chipper, hoe, plow...
Dec 18, 2022
Woodstock, Maine
First time blogger on dangers of tractor use... How about run away tractor? How? I live on 33acres of mountain side and have always operated on uneven ground. Many stories over many years. Long story short, all tractors have only back wheel brakes. I moved a load from down the paved road back to the house, and had put the tractor in 2wd to go down the road (a conversation for another forum). Back at the house forgot to return to 4wd and headed down the backyard slight decline. I understand ballast and am fully used to the feel of back tires lifting. However, without 4wd, when the rear tires just slightly lifted, the tractor accelerated down the hill on only 2 front tires freewheeling. Panicked brake smash does absolutely nothing. Most dangers on tractor I see myself getting into, this one was unexpected despite seeming obvious.

• Wow

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Since we're fessing up -

I was mowing along the road frontage outside of my fence and decided to do the neighborly thing and do the same on my neighbors side of the road as I headed back to my barn. Quite the pucker moment - right rear tire in the air and front left tire about a foot in the air above a sharp dropoff to the creek. Walked back to the barn and grabbed a come-along and log chain. Fortunately as I was rigging up for an arduous manual tow "from the brink" a neighbor drove by in his SUV - hooked the chain to his trailer ball and was back on (all 4 wheels) terra firma in about 2 minutes.

2 important lessons:

1. Always walk unfamiliar areas before working on them.

2. Always keep bucket on FEL (I usually drop it doing my normal flat/easy mowing - in this case, I probably could have gotten back onto the road if I had the bucket on.

Of course, here's what you wanted to see - photos of the deed.

Attachments

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Wo
Since we're fessing up -

I was mowing along the road frontage outside of my fence and decided to do the neighborly thing and do the same on my neighbors side of the road as I headed back to my barn. Quite the pucker moment - right rear tire in the air and front left tire about a foot in the air above a sharp dropoff to the creek. Walked back to the barn and grabbed a come-along and log chain. Fortunately as I was rigging up for an arduous manual tow "from the brink" a neighbor drove by in his SUV - hooked the chain to his trailer ball and was back on (all 4 wheels) terra firma in about 2 minutes.

2 important lessons:

2. Always keep bucket on FEL (I usually drop it doing my normal flat/easy mowing - in this case, I probably could have gotten back onto the road if I had the bucket on.

Wow! That’s scary. It’s also why when mowing rough areas with heavy growth where I can’t see well I tend to run with the bucket on the loader set pretty low. I’ve run in a hole similar to that situation once. It sat down on the bucket and all I had to do was push up the front of the tractor a bit and back out. If the loader hadn’t been on it and set low, it would have been a much more complicated situation.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Since we're fessing up -

2 important lessons:

Very similar to what happened to me. I know the road frontage of my property very well....but a small sink hole had developed and the Johnson grass and Clover were so tall you couldn't tell it.

When my right front tire went in the hole, it lifted the left rear and stopped the tractor abruptly... throwing me up into the steering wheel. I wasn't wearing my seat belt (mistake).

Glad nothing more serious happened to you and thank you for sharing your story!

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Not my little Kubota, but my old 640 Ford with a 7' box blade. That's what got me in trouble. While grooming a trail for a neighbor the blade sticks out by almost a foot and that's when the fun started. Blade caught a root and spun me around before I could react. Couldn't back up, couldn't go forward down an incline because of the trees.
Got lucky when another neighbor came over with his dozer, hooked on the blade and lifted and pulled me out. That one was a drawer changer.
3AFC18D7-7694-4A3C-9673-7248FA535C0D-15443-00001C3DB1D33BDF_zps1c167bd3.jpeg

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I learned on a Ford 9N then progressed to a Kubota L185DT
Most of my tractor time is spent moving snow, and learning on those two taught me to move slowly and thoughtfully
So far after a decade of owning the L3600 I haven't stuck it bad enough to not get myself out, came close last week.. The Cat Dozer was 20 yards away when I backed the Kubota out of the ditch and onto the road again, whoohooo Yay Me !!

I have managed a couple of times when using the FEL in the dirt to lift a rear wheel off the ground, but so far I have managed to get back flat again...
This snow season I sucked up a piece of Metal Roof cap into the SnowBlower, that was an eye opener
That is maybe the third time I have done something stupid like that, I remember a Dog Chain at a neighbors driveway and a tree branch hidden in the snow on the road..
Those are unavoidable since they are hidden, but that big BANG always raises the pucker factor a bit

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
So far after a decade of owning the L3600 I haven't stuck it bad enough to not get myself out, came close last week..
You've done better than me. Can't say I've never been stuck. Not often (as generally I'm pretty careful, but I did it this past summer...in a wet spot on my property.

Stuck02.jpg

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
You've done better than me. Can't say I've never been stuck. Not often (as generally I'm pretty careful, but I did it this past summer...in a wet spot on my property.

Oh man I can relate, I found one of those a few years back, clearing and plowing a little over 1/2 acre
In one of the back corners, I had a front wheel drop into a mud sucking hole, I lucked out and only dropped one wheel so with a little help from the FEL and standing on the Rear-Wheel lock I got her out...