Ferris Question

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Recently purchased an IS2100Z Ferris Zero Turn. So far night and day on comfortability. More HP and mows much faster than my Exmark. My question is I have adjustable shocks and seat. What setting on the shocks have you found to be the most all around for comfort and cut. I’ve been playing around a little just curious.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I probably have a similar seat on my Kubota zero turn.

Mine has a twist knob to adjust the tension so I couldn't tell you where it is set at. I messed with it till my ride was smooth and not beating the snot out of me.

Forklift at work has different adjustmentbbased on weight controlled by a slide bar. I did the same with that. Hit the different settings till it quit jarring my back when hitting a bump with the solid core tires.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Daren his ferris has an actual suspension setup that separates the mower deck from the chassis so it is a little different.

Kenny, I think that it depends on your yard. If think if you think your lawn is fairly smooth start in the middle, if you think your yard is rougher then I'd start medium-stiff and then adjust from there. Then you can judge if think you are getting too close to scalping in places and stiffen it up, or if you think you have some room to smooth your ride without scalping soften it up. I think if you adjust your shocks first and leave your seat on a harder setting you might be able to better judge this then when you get the shocks figured out you can set your seat and ride on a cloud.

Keep in mind you can just find the roughest part of your yard and run the mower back and forth with the deck off and get a bunch of trials ran and then dial it in with a few runs with the blades going and finish it up. No real need to be cutting grass while you find your ideal setup. It's probably a 4 beer job if I had to guess.

BTW congrats on the new toy!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I have a 2100Z and I believe my spring preloads are set 2 up from softest. ccoon I need to check but I don't believe the preload setting affects the deck, I think the deck is unsprung so it doesn't move up and down with the suspension rather it moves with the wheels.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Something I want but cannot afford. Guess my solid ride Tank will have to do for now.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I have a 2100Z and I believe my spring preloads are set 2 up from softest. ccoon I need to check but I don't believe the preload setting affects the deck, I think the deck is unsprung so it doesn't move up and down with the suspension rather it moves with the wheels.
Oliver I think you are right, my bad. In that case you can disregard the scalping concern but, I would still start at medium preload and adjust to your comfort level from there while keeping the quality of cut that you'd like.

I'd assume going too fast on too light of preload that you loose some stability and control kind of like riding in an older Buick Le Sabre. Too heavy of a preload would then require a good dentist to replace your shattered teeth but maybe it'd turn you into the Ken Block of Zero Turns and mow your lawn in record time with your rally mower.

Nathan

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 7, 2020
NE Ohio
I've got a Ferris 800. Have the front on the softest and the rear 2 notches up from softest. I weight 280. The seat i set just like a big truck with air. Set it where at rest i am kind of floating in the middle. I have a very rough yard. You will love that machine for speed and comfort.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Daren his ferris has an actual suspension setup that separates the mower deck from the chassis so it is a little different.

Kenny, I think that it depends on your yard. If think if you think your lawn is fairly smooth start in the middle, if you think your yard is rougher then I'd start medium-stiff and then adjust from there. Then you can judge if think you are getting too close to scalping in places and stiffen it up, or if you think you have some room to smooth your ride without scalping soften it up. I think if you adjust your shocks first and leave your seat on a harder setting you might be able to better judge this then when you get the shocks figured out you can set your seat and ride on a cloud.

Keep in mind you can just find the roughest part of your yard and run the mower back and forth with the deck off and get a bunch of trials ran and then dial it in with a few runs with the blades going and finish it up. No real need to be cutting grass while you find your ideal setup. It's probably a 4 beer job if I had to guess.

BTW congrats on the new toy!
Thank you for the recommendation I will try that. Currently is is on the softest load for shocks and seat. Rides like a dream but scalps easy. I will stiffen the seat like you said and adjust. I have a pretty rough yard in the country. Beats the snot out of me on the Exmark. Used to use my finish mower on my MX5800 to mow due to my back. With this mower my tractor hasn’t had to come out of the shop.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Something I want but cannot afford. Guess my solid ride Tank will have to do for now.
I found this one used with 16 hours on it. I looked at all the other models and this one really was priced inline. Now buying new from the city would have been a different story. They were $3500 more than what I paid for a like new machine. I can say one thing if it lasts as long as my Exmark I will be completely satisfied.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I found this one used with 16 hours on it. I looked at all the other models and this one really was priced inline. Now buying new from the city would have been a different story. They were $3500 more than what I paid for a like new machine. I can say one thing if it lasts as long as my Exmark I will be completely satisfied.
What motor? Kawasaki or Kohler? Gotta watch the Kohlers, the have weak oil control rings and use motor oil...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sounds like you got a good find! Good luck!

I think Ferris is manufactured an hour from me. See a lot of them around here.

Don't know much about them other than they seem to be bulletproof. Most of the commercial guys use them. Neighbor across road has had one for close to 15 years...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Briggs right? Least it's not an oil burning Kohler.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
My Exmark has a Briggs and after 12 years and countless hours as I used to mow on the side it still has not lost power or use oil. Hopefully I can get at least 12 years on the new one. I like the idea of having an oil cooler with such as large capacity. It is quiet, runs cooler, and very fuel efficient. My Exmark used about 5 gallons to mow my yard. The Ferris is using about 2.5. Whether they claimed bankruptcy or not I did not hear but so did Chevy, Dodge, and Ford at the same time once so I guess we will wait and see.