FEL driver protector

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
On my L185 I dumped half a load of dirt and rock all over the hood more than once, trying to put excess fill in a big pile. I had a 4-post ROPS, so I didn't worry about boards or logs rolling back and causing painful injury.
On my new L3200 I just finished a driver protector, made with 3/4" X 2-1/2" flat bar. I bolted it to the FEL frame, using 5/8" X 5-1/2" hardware. If we decide to do a lot of serious landscaping I can put a 2 X 2" or 3 X 3" wire screen across the front of it as well.
The hardest part of this was drilling the first hole in the FEL frame. After that, you are committed... Once I had the top holes drilled, I fitted on the protector. Then I attached the FEL, used it to pick up the tractor front end, and lined up the protector to the tractor. I left an inch between the protector and canopy. I tightened the protector really tight, then disconnected the FEL again and marked the FEL frame for drilling the lower holes. While drilling the frame blocks with a drill press, I had to prop them up with 2x4's to work around the pin braces and jewelry.
The only drawback is that the protector sticks with the FEL frame. When the loader is off for mowing I still get the occasional branch in the face.

Attachments

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I have something similar to that on the back side of the bucket. A log rolled off the back of the bucket once and scared the ^*&%% out of me. Trying to prevent an accident is cheaper and doesn't hurt as much as haveing to fix the results of the accident.