Favorite small tractor setup for lawn mowing on a hobby farm?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Some pretty nice Toro zero turns at TSC for about $4500
Just had a thought. There's a dealer around here that does a lot of commercial lawn sales. They normally put up there nicer used stuff pretty cheap. Normally around 1k hours on the meter or so. Have anything like that around your area? May have something used thays nice and still pro grade, without the sticker shock of new equipment.

40Farmall

Equipment
L2350DT, B1750, Ford 3930
Sep 17, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Took me a while but just picked up a B1750 manual transmission 2wd with bush hog, finish mower, box blade, and plow for $4,200. A few parts needed here and there but tractor seems to run great at 1,600 hours. Mowed half the yard yesterday to figure out belts are needed for the mower. Soon I will have to replace all 4 tires on the tractor, too.

Thank you for all the inputs and opinions. Happy to have 3 tractors now which may be a sign of addiction.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
Getting ready to sell my 2019 (bought in2020) Bad Boy Maverick with a 54” deck. Beast of a machine but tears the heck out of our sandy soil. Just not a good fit for our property. Going Thursday to sign the papers on a BX 2680 with the 54” deck and fel.

PatienceJohnston

Equipment
developer
Oct 15, 2023
USA
The BX 2680 with a 54"" deck sounds like a great choice, especially if you're dealing with sandy soil. It's all about finding the right tool for the job, and it seems like you're on the right track! Out with the old, in with the new, right? Do you have any plans to customize your new setup for farm equipment servicing as well, or is it mainly for lawn mowing? Either way, wishing you the best of luck with your new tractor adventure and smoother soil-taming days ahead!

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Cheaper lowes riding mowers only last about 5 years mowing 1-2 acres on my small hobby farm. By that time the decks are shot, the engine is struggling, and other parts are needing work arounds. A z-turn gets too beat up from the ruts due to the smaller tires and it won't cut the slopes of the ditches. Tried a large finish mower behind my L2350 and that didn't cut well either due to the varying slopes. Plus I hated changing attachments weekly as it already gets used for bush-hogging, spraying, planting, etc. Think I need a smaller Kubota with a 60" belly mower. Looked at the T1600 but seems to be risky due to HST transmission failures which are expensive. In my experience the manual transmissions are always better. What would you suggest? A B series with MT and belly mower?
I bought my B1750HST with 60" belly mower and Bi-Speed Turn about 30 years ago to mow my steep, irregular, obstacle infested areas. With FWA it will hold hills that no ZTR could possibly mow and with BST will mow a circle of about 18". In the 30+ years that I have had it, it has been just about flawless and remains my most satisfying major purchase.

Sounds like an F series Kubota would be ideal but that's serious money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Took me a while but just picked up a B1750 manual transmission 2wd with bush hog, finish mower, box blade, and plow for $4,200. A few parts needed here and there but tractor seems to run great at 1,600 hours. Mowed half the yard yesterday to figure out belts are needed for the mower. Soon I will have to replace all 4 tires on the tractor, too.

Thank you for all the inputs and opinions. Happy to have 3 tractors now which may be a sign of addiction.
As previously stated, my 30+ year-old B1750HST with 60" terrain following MMM and Bi-Speed Turn is the best thing that I have ever bought.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds like an F series Kubota would be ideal but that's serious money.
Old thread, but I'll just note that an F series Kubota would be ideal for lots of things. If I had more shed space I'd have one already.