Favorite Chemicals for Coolant Flush

Zatzke

Equipment
L305DT
Jul 11, 2014
Otsego, MI
Zatcke - that sounds like a good plan of attack to me and I like your idea of the 2 pail configuration to help separate the sediment. It's good to know that an increased temperature helps the cleaning process. I've never tried it because basically I'm usually working on a very large scale unlike a small scale of a tractor or car. I'm curious if anyone that does this on the regular uses some sort of flush cart? I've used a large style flush cart on geothermal systems and a few heating systems. It's basically (in my case) a large pump, in line filter, and a vertical standing large pipe with one open end. You hook it up as a loop, the pump circulates through the system, through a filter, dumps into the standing pipe, and draws off the bottom of the pipe back into the system. For my uses it basically purges the air from the system but also filters the water. They typically have a powerful pump to be able to move water through a very deep geo well or a large piping system. In our uses here you could just Build a small scale one to mainly filter the cleaning solution with a small transfer pump, a pail, and a small inline filter. I think that would take care of the sediment problem, but maybe I'm getting a little to crazy :eek:. Here is a picture of the one I've used to give everyone a visual idea.

Off topic here but that's funny you bring up geothermal loops as your past experience. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a geothermal system here before winter hits... 4 ton closed loop Waterfurnace 7 series

Back on topic, I haven't had time to do the flush yet but I am hoping to get it done soon. I'll take some pictures and report back when it's done though. What are the votes - use TSP or the washing soda? I'm leaning towards the TSP with the hopes that it offers a little more cleaning power.

Last edited: