F2560/transmission problem

truszip

Equipment
F2560
Aug 25, 2010
Canada
Hello all - first time poster needing some help. Recently I purchased a used F2560 mower which apparently was serviced and maintained properly. The first time I used it, it worked flawlessly other than vibrating a bit when the mower was engaged, but not knowing anything about these units I didn't think much about it. The second time I used it, it worked for a while and then it just quit - it wouldn't move forward or reverse. Before this happened I could hear what appeared to be a rattle coming from the transmission/differential area but didn't think much about it because of all the vibration noises coming from it anyway. The person I bought the thing from told me that he had the transmission replaced last year and this year he had the front pto drive replaced. So powertrain wise I thought I was safe and that this would/should be a good buy.
I've checked the fluids and they are up as well as looking for any obvious signs of something loose or broken, but I'm not finding anything. I spoke to the seller and he's at a mystery as what could have happened and doesn't feel that the transmission could be the culprit seeing that it was just replaced last year and has virtually minimal hours on it since it's replacement.
Does anybody have any idea's what it could be or what I should be looking for or doing to determine just what is wrong. I think I can repair it myself or at least take it apart for repair - but I'd like an idea of what's wrong before I take the wrong thing apart or into a shop.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Hello all - first time poster needing some help. Recently I purchased a used F2560 mower which apparently was serviced and maintained properly. The first time I used it, it worked flawlessly other than vibrating a bit when the mower was engaged, but not knowing anything about these units I didn't think much about it. The second time I used it, it worked for a while and then it just quit - it wouldn't move forward or reverse. Before this happened I could hear what appeared to be a rattle coming from the transmission/differential area but didn't think much about it because of all the vibration noises coming from it anyway. The person I bought the thing from told me that he had the transmission replaced last year and this year he had the front pto drive replaced. So powertrain wise I thought I was safe and that this would/should be a good buy.
I've checked the fluids and they are up as well as looking for any obvious signs of something loose or broken, but I'm not finding anything. I spoke to the seller and he's at a mystery as what could have happened and doesn't feel that the transmission could be the culprit seeing that it was just replaced last year and has virtually minimal hours on it since it's replacement.
Does anybody have any idea's what it could be or what I should be looking for or doing to determine just what is wrong. I think I can repair it myself or at least take it apart for repair - but I'd like an idea of what's wrong before I take the wrong thing apart or into a shop.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Other than checking that all the linkages on connected there is not much else to tell you other than there is an internal failure, but I would check that a linkage has not fallen off:eek:

truszip

Equipment
F2560
Aug 25, 2010
Canada
I checked everything again today as well as cleaning out the screen filler as it was packed with filings - not good!. I'm hearing a grinding sound when I engage the drive as well as feeling the gears clatter in the pedal. When I depress the pedal sometimes she'll run for a second and then stop - so I'm pretty sure it's the transmission.
Were would one buy replacement parts for these and what would be the cost of a new one.
Thanks again for any input.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I checked everything again today as well as cleaning out the screen filler as it was packed with filings - not good!. I'm hearing a grinding sound when I engage the drive as well as feeling the gears clatter in the pedal. When I depress the pedal sometimes she'll run for a second and then stop - so I'm pretty sure it's the transmission.
Were would one buy replacement parts for these and what would be the cost of a new one.
Thanks again for any input.
Yep its toast. There are lots of outfits that supply and repair HST but you may need to take it to your Kubota dealer unless you know of a competent mechanic.
Good luck:(

truszip

Equipment
F2560
Aug 25, 2010
Canada
Apparently new transmissions are around the $3000.00 mark - yikes!! :eek: but I might have a line on a Kubota F2400 parts mower, and was wondering if the transmission would be interchangeable??
Thanks.