f2560 randomly cuts out

BradyP

Equipment
F2560
Oct 4, 2020
Maryland
Like the title says. Its gotten worse over the past two years. Thought it was the seat safety switch. By passed that. Ran without issue for many cuts. I thought I had it fixed. Then it started cutting out again. So I have disconnected all safety switches that I know of and just swapped out the fuel start stop. Ran great for 2 hours then died.
so:
new fuel start stop solenoid.
and bypassed seat, brake, and pto safety switches.
Is there something else I'm missing? Does the temp or oil switches have the ability to cut the motor?
I would think this problem cant be F series specific?
Thanks for any input.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Like the title says. Its gotten worse over the past two years. Thought it was the seat safety switch. By passed that. Ran without issue for many cuts. I thought I had it fixed. Then it started cutting out again. So I have disconnected all safety switches that I know of and just swapped out the fuel start stop. Ran great for 2 hours then died.
so:
Is there something else I'm missing? Does the temp or oil switches have the ability to cut the motor?
Thanks for any input.
The F-series has a Combination Box that is unique to these units. The oil pressure and coolant temperature do not shut down the engine.

The most common intermittently engine shut down that I have found is a failed combination box or a broken / open wire in the harness.

A simple test to determine whether you have an electrical problem or fuel problem is to remove the shut-off solenoid, plug the hole where it mounts and mow with it. You will have to use the manual shut-off lever on the injection pump to kill the engine.
If it still dies, you have a fuel problem.

BradyP

Equipment
F2560
Oct 4, 2020
Maryland
fuel filter(s) ?????
The F-series has a Combination Box that is unique to these units. The oil pressure and coolant temperature do not shut down the engine.

The most common intermittently engine shut down that I have found is a failed combination box or a broken / open wire in the harness.

A simple test to determine whether you have an electrical problem or fuel problem is to remove the shut-off solenoid, plug the hole where it mounts and mow with it. You will have to use the manual shut-off lever on the injection pump to kill the engine.
If it still dies, you have a fuel problem.
I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks for the info

capp

Equipment
BX2230 MMM, Fel
Oct 4, 2020
Lawrence Co., Ky
so:
Thanks for any input.
I own a BX2230, I don't know anything about yours, but I wouldn't get on any high banks or hills and start down one you might not have any brakes. I know this from experience mind did it to me and the EST or my brake wouldn't work. Like I said yours may be different than mine, I hope this helps you and you don't do what I did.
Capp

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I own a BX2230, I don't know anything about yours, but I wouldn't get on any high banks or hills and start down one you might not have any brakes. I know this from experience mind did it to me and the EST or my brake wouldn't work. Like I said yours may be different than mine, I hope this helps you and you don't do what I did.
Capp
Just asking, why would he not have any brakes?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I dont see how brakes could be effected? They aren't hydro are they? But thanks for chiming in! Not to much thread action regarding the F's.
You don't see many F-series posts here. No, I don't think brakes are a concern for you, either. :oops:

For what it's worth, try looking for a Workshop Manual (WSM), it might help greatly.
I did see a couple/few F-series here....worth a shot. If not, I'd suggest buying one.

JD55

Equipment
forks, hay spear, cutditioner, hay rake, square baler, 6-foot mower, blade, bho
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
My F series had a loose fuel line, clamp was not tight on fuel filter, replaced and stalling went away.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I dont see how brakes could be effected? They aren't hydro are they? But thanks for chiming in! Not to much thread action regarding the F's.
The brakes are a simple mechanical design, they work equally well running or not running.
The F-series mower is basically just a B-series backing up pushing a deck, blade, blower, broom, or whatever else you hang on it.

capp

Equipment
BX2230 MMM, Fel
Oct 4, 2020
Lawrence Co., Ky
Just asking, why would he not have any brakes?
I bought mine in2005 got home kicked her in four-wheel and went down a not so steep hill, and I didn't have any brakes, no HST. lucky for me it was a small hill, then a month ago I was going up a place that I have been mowing since I got my tractor when I heard a loud noise and the motor quit and backwards I went, now brakes or Hst. I was close to the ditch line and I wheeled into that and got stopped scared the crap out of me. I stopped until my son came home from work we finally got it back to my shop, and couldn't find a reason for why it did this. And this is after 15 years of mowing this same little road BAM it did it again and this time the ditch line was further away but I had no choice it was the ditch or hang on I chose the ditch and we hit so hard that it almost turned over on with me trying to get off, that wasn't an option I was going way to fast so I just prayed and hung on for dear life. I tried to get the people where I bought it to fix this but found out that the BX2230 was weak in that area. I still got it but it's flat ground is all i will cut from now one.
Thanks to everyone on the forum I like it.
Capp

capp

Equipment
BX2230 MMM, Fel
Oct 4, 2020
Lawrence Co., Ky
No, they have always been this way. I am thinking about buying another one, but it's to close to Xmas.

capp

Equipment
BX2230 MMM, Fel
Oct 4, 2020
Lawrence Co., Ky
BX2230's brakes are inside the differential on disks. I'm going to go out today and try to adjust the leakage
on both sides of the tractor and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Capp