F-2400 clutch not disengaging.

Laddie2

Equipment
F-2400
Jun 20, 2021
Last year it was working fine. I just took it out of storage, I cannot engage the mower deck. With the clutch petal fully depressed the gears grind. I adjusted the free play to one inch or less. I backed off the over travel bolt.
It won't allow the PTO to be shifted. Please help. Thanks Laddie

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have little knowledge of those machines so this may be more a thread bump than useful. What I do know is a couple of generalities of clutches sticking to pressure plates in long term storage.

1) If you can figure out how to apply a load with the engine running and clutch depressed, you have a shot at breaking it loose. As an example, many tractors will start in gear if the clutch is depressed. Chain the tractor to something such as a stout tree, start it with the clutch depressed, and there’s a decent chance it will break the clutch loose from the pressure plate. If it doesn’t work, the tractor either bogs the motor or spins the wheels, but no further harm done. If you can figure out something similar on your machine to create a load with the clutch depressed, yet not risk further damage if unsuccessful, I’d do that first.

2) Tear it apart. Do whatever you have to do to pry the clutch off the pressure plate. Inspect them and replace if damaged.

3) Going forward, when storing equipment with a clutch, it may be worthwhile to rig a block, stick, clamp, something mechanical to keep the clutch depressed to keep it off the pressure plate so there’s no potential for sticking.

Laddie2

Equipment
F-2400
Jun 20, 2021
I have little knowledge of those machines so this may be more a thread bump than useful. What I do know is a couple of generalities of clutches sticking to pressure plates in long term storage.

1) If you can figure out how to apply a load with the engine running and clutch depressed, you have a shot at breaking it loose. As an example, many tractors will start in gear if the clutch is depressed. Chain the tractor to something such as a stout tree, start it with the clutch depressed, and there’s a decent chance it will break the clutch loose from the pressure plate. If it doesn’t work, the tractor either bogs the motor or spins the wheels, but no further harm done. If you can figure out something similar on your machine to create a load with the clutch depressed, yet not risk further damage if unsuccessful, I’d do that first.

2) Tear it apart. Do whatever you have to do to pry the clutch off the pressure plate. Inspect them and replace if damaged.

3) Going forward, when storing equipment with a clutch, it may be worthwhile to rig a block, stick, clamp, something mechanical to keep the clutch depressed to keep it off the pressure plate so there’s no potential for sticking.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
With the clutch pedal fully depressed, at mid throttle, it took 3 or 4 hard stabs on the forward pedal (it is a hydrostatic transmission) & low and behold it broke free.
I don't understand how a pressure plate can stick to the disk???

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
That disk material is kinda porous and lets moisture get to the flywheel and pressure plate. Then the rust locks them together.

Your machine may have a latch, mine's just a wire hook that hooks in the clutch lever near the pedal. Check 'Long Term Storage' in your Op Man.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The clutch plate (not the pressure plate) was stuck to the flywheel