Excessive blowby or crankcase vent stopped up?

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Ok my B6000 seems to have some major blowby or my vent tube is clogged up. Shut her down yesterday and went to check the oil and when i pulled the dip stick it had a bunch of pressure release. And my rear main seal is leaking from out of the bell housing. Could this be caused from the excessive pressure built up in the crankcase?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Ok my B6000 seems to have some major blowby or my vent tube is clogged up. Shut her down yesterday and went to check the oil and when i pulled the dip stick it had a bunch of pressure release. And my rear main seal is leaking from out of the bell housing. Could this be caused from the excessive pressure built up in the crankcase?
Yep. Might want to check the vent and if it is plugged better figure out why. Not normal for the ccv to plug up.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
That's the vent off the injector pump right?
The crankase vent should be a tube coming from the top of the valve cover which is the highest point in the non pressurized oil system of the engine, It allows pressure generated from engine heat,normal combustion blowby from the rings and valve guides to vent. What you are describing does not sound like a crankcase vent.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Yes, The CCV is like the PCV system in a car except there is no valve and it does not connect to a vacuum line on the intake, Instead it just vents down below the tractor. Check the oil level in your engine and if it is higher than normal then check the level of your transmission fluid to make sure your hydraulic pump is not pushing hydraulic oil into your crancase.

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Ok i got it fixed this afternoon when i got home. Sorry for the delay but UFC comes before anything so been busy lol.

What i found: that vent tube coming of the injector pump or what i would call a fuel control (sorry that's what we call them on aircraft) was stopped up with by a dirt dobber! Got that cleaned out and then cleaned out the bell housing. Started her up and drove her for bout 15 min. Parked her in the drive way and just like that no more leaking rear main seal and no more pressure in the crankcase right after shutdown. Looks like that vent line was the culprit. Thanks for the help guys looks like i have a healthy running B6000 :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Is there not a brownish rubber hose coming from the rocker cover area hanging down below the bottom of the crankcase? Its like an old fashioned road draft tube on 60's back car's and trucks. Oops, showing my age.

kytim

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
What i found: that vent tube coming of the injector pump or what i would call a fuel control (sorry that's what we call them on aircraft) was stopped up with by a dirt dobber!
Glad you figured it out... Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your crancase vent, Not quite sure how your injector pump could be pressurizing your crankcase though unless your are pushing fuel into it thru a leaking seal, Might want to check to make sure there is no fuel in your oil.

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
There is no vent coming off the valve cover. i don't know but i will post a pic this afternoon. Im at drill right now. Ill see if i can find a pic on the net and circle what im talking about!

Last edited:

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
This is not my tractor but it is a B6000. Note that there are no vents coming off the valve cover.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada

This is the vent in the side of the injector pump.

And there is nothing coming from the valve cover?:confused:
I guess they chose to vent in a different spot. Learn something every day. Having the vent plugged would certainly force oil out a crank seal. What caused the plug?

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
a good old dirt dobbers nest. not sure if yall know what those are. They look like little wasp but sold black. they don't sting or bite but they will kill the Hell out of some spiders and put them in nest made of mud. notorious for getting in the smallest places. They are pretty dang popular down around the southeast. exp in lower alabama

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Kytim...i see you have or had a B6000 and a B7100. where is your vent tube at on the 6000?

Also, on a personal note would you consider a 6000 or a 7100hst (if those where your choices) for a good all around tractor?

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Well actually i'm embarrassed to say I DO have 2 B6000 and a B7100. should have looked at one of my own tractors!!

Now as to their use and preference, I absolutely love my 6000 but the extra 6 or 7 HP makes a big difference. if i could have only 1, it would be the B7100. I can move a bigger, heavier load of dirt with a boxblade and faster as well.

In doing landscaping I usually use both at the same time tho. I move 6-7 loads of dirt w/boxblade on the b7100DT then, crawl on the B6000DT to berm it up using the 5ft straight blade. Although, with the blade set at about a 30^0 angle the blade can force the whole tractor sideways some. I even got into the siding before I knew it. But at least I don't have to change implements near as often.

I will say I don't any personal experience with a Hydro trans, only gear drives. sorry.

Kytim

Last edited:

cmorningstar01

Equipment
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Wow, After seeing the photos it is obvious there is no vent off the valve cover, No wonder there was some confusion in the discussion, Although I am not familiar with all the Kubota models the injector pump seems like kind of a unique location for a crankcase vent, At any rate I am glad it was only a mud wasp, We have several species of daubers here in NJ, The most common is the pipe organ but we also have the ones that build the small round nests like the one that plugged your vent. I do not mind the wasps as much as the carpenter bees that drill holes all over the place, Sure wish there was an insect that would kill/eat stink bugs.

Dixie-B6000

Equipment
Kubota L5240, LA854 W/QA
Apr 13, 2011
Enterprise, AL
Thanks Kytim that helps me a lot on my decision. Gonna go drive a 7100hst tomorrow and see if i like the hydro drive. Thinking it will be easier and faster to operate with a loader. Just worried about the reliability of it. Might just be my ignorance/lack of knowledge on them.

Cmorningstar01,
Yea im really glad it was just the dirt dauber's nest. I had already ordered the rear crank seal and was about to pull the engine to replace it.

Thanks for the help guys!