excavators

JD55

Equipment
forks, hay spear, cutditioner, hay rake, square baler, 6-foot mower, blade, bho
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
I am looking at a used U-35 serial no. 2024, with 5,000 hours on it. The tracks have been replaced recently. And the pump is new. I am not sure of the year. Asking price is 28,000. General appearance is good. Everything functions tightly and it has a hydraulic thumb. Anything I should be looking for peculiar to this model. And can I determine the year of manufacture somehow by the identification numbers. There are no suffixes on the model number.

Thanks JD

Midwest

Apr 4, 2018
Missouri
I would agree that the price seems kinda high for that amount of hours. Does the machine have a cab, angle blade, quick coupler etc.? If you can get the complete serial number (5 digits) any dealer should be able to look up the registration and tell you when the unit was sold originally and also what the full model number is.

I would ask for any maintenance records the seller has on the machine as well. You can also look on machinery trader and filter by hours to see what similar machines with similar hours have sold for.

JD55

Equipment
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
Okay, first of all thanks for all the replies. Have done a little research and have found a couple of 2017's . A cab model for 48,000 with a 0 down 4.5% over 48 to 60 months, and a open cab for 40,000 0 for 48 months or 60 months at .99%, obviously much better looking deals to me. If I swing this way I would most likely opt for the open cab. But I think I might go negotiate for some things on the other. Mostly price and track condition and bucket slop.

Had two friends who run excavators go over it with me. One worked twenyy years in the construction industry, doing gov't contracts, the other ran equipment for Penndot. Both were concerned about the tracks and bucket slop other than that they felt the machine was strong. Both operated the excavator and liked it but for the above mentioned items. So now I do a little price discovery on the web and re-enter negotiations. Thank you all, everyone.

Oh and the right serial number is 20247, and the first owner used it to dig swimming pools, so I don't believe it was used in a shale pit.

Once again thanks and I'll let you know what the outcome is.

JD55

Equipment
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
OK, now I am looking at a 2017 U35-4 with 49.5 hours for 42,000 available for 0 down 0% for four years. Remainder of warranty and like new from rental stock at another local dealer. Cab unit, so I am leaning this way now; does that sound fair.