EverythingSuductiveAttachments

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
i use the water from my pond and burn gas in a pump to water my lawn. Only when I put down grass seed, after it starts growing... it’s up to Mother Nature haha. The wife’s garden however will get watered often. Advantage of being on a well in a high water table, I will never run out.
Same here, when I plant new grass seed I water it until the first cutting as needed. That is it but we do get our share of rain here in NC so it stays green most of summer.

Garden I water, I count on the produce for the winter months. Have a great well, can run 24 hours which it takes to water both gardens and never run out.

Mine is 140 feet deep pulled the pump for repair 2 years ago middle of summer. Could see the water level about 10' below ground level. Really lucky to have it at my disposal, little cost to use it all I need to.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
They know that if they don’t make their boss look smart to buy unneeded equipment ....and if they themselves don’t look busy ... they’ll be unemployed.
Wow - the best grasses in the world is a gimmick?

It must be rough going through life being wrong about things and not having the ability to learn new things.

Can you show me a few hundred examples of better grass that isn't maintained in the same way? Because I have several thousand examples to share.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wow - the best grasses in the world is a gimmick?

It must be rough going through life being wrong about things and not having the ability to learn new things.

Can you show me a few hundred examples of better grass that isn't maintained in the same way? Because I have several thousand examples to share.
I don’t know why you seem to enjoy pizzen contests but this is a perfect example of how an unnecessary activity can have no benefit other than to make the actor feel-good. It’s like snake-oil additives... Your conclusion is it must be poured into the crankcase or fuel tank and because it didn’t cause destruction...so it must be believed essential for obtaining quite ordinary results. While some lawns with a particular deficiency may benefit from aeration does not equal that all lawns do. Because golf courses which receive pampered care (not all of which was necessary) does not have a “control group” to prove the necessity.
If that confuses you I apologize.

I know a guy that wore a particular pair of pajama-shorts on every combat mission because they were his “lucky” shorts.... the logic having derived from the fact that when he wore them he had not been shot down. No one got into a pizzen contest with him over it. They just saw it as humorous. Please....Aerate your lawn so I can have a laugh.

Last edited:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Reminds me of the saying, "When I die I hope my wife doesnt sell my [implements, guns, tools, toy] for what I told her they cost."
Life long friend would have packages sent to my house then pick them up so wife would not know all the hunting stuff he would buy. Then one day he said the same thing to me, damn Jay hope when I'm gone she does not sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them:) I said I do I'm first in line to get them.....

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don’t know why you seem to enjoy pizzen contests but this is a perfect example of how an unnecessary activity can have no benefit other than to make the actor feel-good. It’s like snake-oil additives... Your conclusion is it must be poured into the crankcase or fuel tank and because it didn’t cause destruction...so it must be believed essential for obtaining quite ordinary results. While some lawns with a particular deficiency may benefit from aeration does not equal that all lawns do. Because golf courses which receive pampered care (not all of which was necessary) does not have a “control group” to prove the necessity.
If that confuses you I apologize.

I know a guy that wore a particular pair of pajama-shorts on every combat mission because they were his “lucky” shorts.... the logic having derived from the fact that when he wore them he had not been shot down. No one got into a pizzen contest with him over it. They just saw it as humorous. Please....Aerate your lawn so I can have a laugh.
Nice tangent, strawman, whatever.

I play cards every week with a guy that owns several golf courses (30 years playing now - lots and lots of stories). They do not spend a dime that is not needed. You thinking aeration is a gimmick just shows how little you know. Sorry to be the one to point it out to you.

I have met his head grounds keeper (one of his life long friends) many many times. He has two degrees and is quite a fanatic about the crews/grounds. He also does a real good job limiting chemical use (ANOTHER benefit or aeration and cost saver). To say his ENTIRE industry is "putting one over on the boss" as also a joke.

When you say "Because golf courses which receive pampered care (not all of which was necessary) does not have a “control group” to prove the necessity".

It really just points out how little you know about golf courses. The Golf industry with over 3 billion in yearly revenue actually has a lot of "control groups", study groups, environmental groups, event groups, just about every kind of group you can imagine. You would be surprised at the amount of research that goes in.

Anyway, the benefits of aeration is science and easily proven and demonstrably shown in many places. Are you one of them science deniers Geo?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I admit it..... I don’t play golf. Got too many other sensible things to do than aerate lawns and play golf.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a friend who has a degree from Penn State University in turf science. His career has been spent primarily aerating golf courses. He is presently selling off his fleet of Kubota tractors and headed into retirement. Aeration is a big part of turf maintenance. I moved to the suburbs 4 years ago and am attempting to care for my 2 1/2 acre lot. I have never aerated, seeded or done anything to the grass other than cut it. It really shows. I have maybe the worst looking grass in the neighborhood. Most others employ professionals utilizing various contraptions and chemicals. The going rate including cutting is $5,000+ per year. I am just a poor boy and would rather handle it myself.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
I don't want to buy it
I just want to rent it for a minute or two

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
I have a friend who has a degree from Penn State University in turf science. His career has been spent primarily aerating golf courses. He is presently selling off his fleet of Kubota tractors and headed into retirement. Aeration is a big part of turf maintenance. I moved to the suburbs 4 years ago and am attempting to care for my 2 1/2 acre lot. I have never aerated, seeded or done anything to the grass other than cut it. It really shows. I have maybe the worst looking grass in the neighborhood. Most others employ professionals utilizing various contraptions and chemicals. The going rate including cutting is $5,000+ per year. I am just a poor boy and would rather handle it myself.
i for one also don’t understand the obsession with golf course perfect lawns in the suburbs. My old neighbors doused their lawn in Chems, and we even caught them doing our yard one weekend when we had gone out. Total loony’s. It ended up giving our dog cancer.

now I live on 95 acres in the woods and my closest neighbor has a junk car collection. To each their own.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:
i for one also don’t understand the obsession with golf course perfect lawns in the suburbs

cause they have nothing else to do ? No hobbies ??? More money than brains ?? Be interesting to hear WHY.

20 years ago I literally plowed under an acre of 'pristine,manicured,pooltable flat' lawn and made a veggie garden. Over the past 2 decades, dozens of familes have been wll fed from it,being 'organic' sold a lot of veggies at local farmstore.
To each ,his own. but given the choice, I prefer to make money off the land NOT spend it to 'have a pretty' lawn.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
i for one also don’t understand the obsession with golf course perfect lawns in the suburbs. My old neighbors doused their lawn in Chems, and we even caught them doing our yard one weekend when we had gone out. Total loony’s. It ended up giving our dog cancer.

now I live on 95 acres in the woods and my closest neighbor has a junk car collection. To each their own.
I don’t get it either. The more metropolitan this area gets the more it’s viewed as some sort of obligation. I have no neighbors within shotgun range so if my yard ain’t all fescue it doesn’t impact anyone around me. All I do is mow it and yeah it’s a little fescue with a lot of native plants (some would say weeds), but it’s all green all summer and looks pretty decent when mowed. Whatever makes you happy.

Attachments

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Ahhh, I feel better - less guilty!
We only have 50' of road frontage. No grass up there just my beautiful plantings from the last month :)
I so much want to plant a veggie garden and get rid of what lawn I have, or most of it anyway. Between the lack of 'full sun' areas and the deer population that just isn't going to happen :(

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
To each their own......some people place value on a picture perfect lawn, some don't.....whatever blows your hair back.

Rumor has it if someone falls into the first category, aeration certainly helps to that end.

That all being said I am on a mission to hardscape as much of my "lawn" as possible as rock seems to take less maintenance each year.

• Love

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
To each their own......some people place value on a picture perfect lawn, some don't.....whatever blows your hair back.

Rumor has it if someone falls into the first category, aeration certainly helps to that end.
Thanks for the comment. Whatever makes the boat float......

David

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Ahhh, I feel better - less guilty!
We only have 50' of road frontage. No grass up there just my beautiful plantings from the last month :)
I so much want to plant a veggie garden and get rid of what lawn I have, or most of it anyway. Between the lack of 'full sun' areas and the deer population that just isn't going to happen :(
The deer are part of our problem, too. Even with an electric fence they were always tearing up the garden and most anything else we plant. They still graze our yard every night.

The stupid groundhogs will even pull up and partially eat fake plastic plants. They really are mind numbingly stupid animals and we always have at least one living in our driveway culvert. Have considered sticking a 12 gauge in one end of the culvert and clearing it out but they’re kind of cute so haven’t ever been granted permission from the boss. I don’t know what the turkeys are doing out there but whatever it is ain’t helping the lawn any.

My wife wanted the front yard to be “perfect” for a while so we turned it over to a lawn service for three years. After three years it looked like it had mange so we gave up and went back to the “native plant” plan as it was the worst looking part of the property. They agreed to let us out of the contract and refund the unearned pre-payment only after I offered to stick one of their signs in the mangy yard and post it everywhere I could find with no comment other than “3 years with _____ lawn service.” That was the end of the perfect lawn plan. Took me two years to fix their mess.

Attachments

Last edited:

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
The deer are part of our problem, too. Even with an electric fence they were always tearing up the garden and most anything else we plant. They still graze our yard every night.

The stupid groundhogs will even pull up and partially eat fake plastic plants. They really are mind numbingly stupid animals and we always have at least one living in our driveway culvert. Have considered sticking a 12 gauge in one end of the culvert and clearing it out but they’re kind of cute so haven’t ever been granted permission from the boss. I don’t know what the turkeys are doing out there but whatever it is ain’t helping the lawn any.

My wife wanted the front yard to be “perfect” for a while so we turned it over to a lawn service for three years. After three years it looked like it had mange so we gave up and went back to the “native plant” plan as it was the worst looking part of the property. They agreed to let us out of the contract and refund the unearned pre-payment only after I offered to stick one of their signs in the mangy yard and post it everywhere I could find with no comment other than “3 years with _____ lawn service.” That was the end of the perfect lawn plan. Took me two years to fix their mess.
Groundhogs/Woodchucks.........no love lost here.

Reminds me of "The Great Woodchuck Battle of 2006" which the prolonged skirmish ended with a number of new woodchuck sized holes dug behind my shed that had a very high correlation to the number of then missing woodchucks.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . .
. . .
Speaking of woodchucks . . . I have several cameras in the woods videoing the various wildlife including a fox den. This little bugger showed up recently and is taking over part of the den.

woodchuck taking over part of den

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Groundhogs/Woodchucks.........no love lost here.
Speaking of woodchucks . . .
Former farmboy - - used to shoot about 100/year. Had a good route of other farms I covered. Most was 11 in an evening, longest shot ~575 yards or so.

Took personal offense if one lived within 300 yards of the house.

Now live in a spot can't shoot at all. Have some under the old corn crib 40 yards from where I sit right now in my kitchen....grrr.....

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If a deer grazed in my yard at night, it'd be in my garage by morning, freezer few days later........
..don't matter what time of year......