Engines at altitude

Littleboss

Feb 23, 2024
TX and CO
Looking for a tractor with FEL (maybe backhoe) for use at our place in Colorado. Elevation is 8500'. Looks like the Bx2680 is NA so it would lose about 25% of it's power which I think would limit what I could do, especially with a backhoe.
The L47TLB appears to be turbocharged but how does it handle altitude? How much power does it lose at elevation? Looks like the LX3310HSDC is turbocharged as well.
Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Basically, anything with a turbo loses little to no power until you go over 10,000 feet and even then it is very little, just a little rich on the fuel mixture and that may not happen with all the new electronics.

jdgcolo

Equipment
MX5400, Pallet forks, Hay bale spears, Tiller
Aug 2, 2023
Colorado
Looking for a tractor with FEL (maybe backhoe) for use at our place in Colorado. Elevation is 8500'. Looks like the Bx2680 is NA so it would lose about 25% of it's power which I think would limit what I could do, especially with a backhoe.
The L47TLB appears to be turbocharged but how does it handle altitude? How much power does it lose at elevation? Looks like the LX3310HSDC is turbocharged as well.
Thoughts?
Hi,
We run an MX5400 turbocharged with an FEL. We are 20 miles south of Fairplay. The tractor has plenty of power with reasonable fuel consumption. You should be ok with any turbocharged choice.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
That's why piston engine aircraft have turbochargers! Minimal power loss, if any, at high altitudes.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thoughts?
Turbos really help to reduce HP loss at high elevations.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That’s a fact!

Mike
I live at an elevation of 6,860’ and my old NA machine felt gutless. My new one has a turbo and doesn’t seem to be affected by altitude at all.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I live at an elevation of 6,860’ and my old NA machine felt gutless. My new one has a turbo and doesn’t seem to be affected by altitude at all.
I don’t doubt it. The L2501’s modified with the Turbo kits are performing exceptionally well in the high elevations.

Without ANY fuel adjustments (just bolting on the Turbo kit and using factory fuel settings) they’re reporting a significant reduction of EGT temperatures, reduction/elimination of diesel smoke and a restoration of power (relative to sea level) and/or a noticeable increase in power.

Mike