Engine shuts down or goes to rough slow idle

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
This is based on good advice I received, and the benefit of experience. It is for reference to help others in the future.

Your tractor is running fine when the engine suddenly powers down and turns off, or goes to a very rough slow idle. If it sits there at slow idle, it may start to regain power. So you take off thinking that whatever it was is now ok only to have it happen again and again. The problem could be as simple as a reduced fuel supply to the engine caused by a partially blocked fuel tank cap breather hole causing a vacuum in the tank which prevents full fuel flow, or a fuel filer installed backwards which restricts flow.
Before you start pulling hoses to check fuel pump function, or to check for blockages TAKE OFF THE FUEL CAP FOR A MOMENT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. If the engine starts to run okay, blow out the cap. (Don't run the tractor more than a few moments with the cap off ...............you know why)

Just installed a new fuel filter? Check to see if it might be installed backwards. This can restrict flow and cause the same symptoms. It has happened. I had the fuel cap problem, not the filter problem, but apparently you will have to confirm correct orientation by reference (no direction markings on the filter? I'll have to give that a check myself.

Last edited: