Engine Rebuilder: Need help from experienced mechanic

ostereh

Am in a fairly desperate situation. Took two days off work and planned to work the weekend to get potatoes in the ground. This morning my L 2201 DT gray market diesel Kubota was running fine and then slowed and died. I'm in Canada and this is a long weekend holiday so the dealer won't be open again until Tuesday.

Back to the problem. At first I thought I'd run out of fuel, but no there was still plenty.

I tried restarting it and it would start and then immediately fade and die.

Then I thought the fuel line is clogged at the fuel filter (which had not been changed in a long while). So, I changed the filter and tried to bleed the injector lines. Wasn't able to get fuel coming out of the lines before the battery gave out.

I'll greatly appreciate any help you can give.

Can someone help. Is fuel the only problem it could be? I thought once a diesel's started it doesn't need any electrical system to keep it going.

Is the a fuel pump to check?

Fred

Last edited:

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Its very unlikely but to eliminate possible engine seizure,check your oil level is ok.
Have you bled the line all the way from the tank to the low presure side of the fuel pump? you don't normally need to turn the engine over for this.
Once fuel is running freely from there you can start bleeding the pressure side with the engine turning.
A diesel engine will run without battery if if does not have ane electric pump or fuel shut off solenoid.

Dave

ostereh

Dave, How do you bleed the line from the tank to the low pressure side of the fuel pump. There is a line running from the fuel filter to the fuel pump that goes "uphill" so it seems you need some sort of pumping action to suck fuel uphill.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Dave, How do you bleed the line from the tank to the low pressure side of the fuel pump. There is a line running from the fuel filter to the fuel pump that goes "uphill" so it seems you need some sort of pumping action to suck fuel uphill.
If the fuel level in the tank is higher than the pump then gravity does the job!If the tank level is lower then a pump is required.
I am not familiar with your tractor so you have to make that decision.
You could also search for "bleeding fuel lines" or look in the video section as there is plenty of info there!
Dave

Last edited:

t422d

May 12, 2011
topsham, maine
Sounds like your starving for fuel. I would ensure the Fuel tank if full. Verify all the fittings are tight from the fuel tank to the injection pump. At the fuel filter there is a bleed screw. Crack that open util you have fuel flowing from the screw then tighten. Remove the fuel line from the injection pump and manually pump the fuel until fuel flows from the hose. Connect the hose to the injection pump and crank the motor. You shouldn't have to bleed from the injector lines if you have successfully got fuel to the injection pump.

To go a little further, if none of this is successful and you are sure the fuel pump is working you may have lost one of the springs on the governor.