engine operating rpm

BIG C

Equipment
2003 L3830,HST, LA723 LOADER
Dec 4, 2011
INDIAN HILLS, COLORADO
Does anyone know or have the specs for operating rpm of my l3830?
My local dealer told me to run it at the 'yellow arrow' on the tach. However there is no arrow on my tach. I have been unable to find this info anywhere, except for factory observed peak HP for the pto @2700rpm.
I have run it up to 2000rpm where it runs good with plenty of power, but in my mind it sounds like it's turning to fast there. I can't imagine trying to push it any harder than that.
Thanks.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I don't honestly know on the L3830, but the PTO speed on my 5030 is 2550 and while it sounds high these things tend to turn a lot of RPMs when compared to the older models.

Even on our M8540 the 540 PTO speed is 2250.

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
I have an MX4700 that is also rated at 2700RPM. There is no marked operating range or even a red line. It relies on the governor. I agree it sounds like it is really spinning as it gets past 2000 RPM. I often share the tractor with my father. I have a hard time getting him to 'use the engine'. He often wants to run down at 1600 or 1700 RPM because it "sounds" too fast if he goes higher. Of course it depends on the situation/use, but I would rather run at higher RPMS than lug engine because of too low power. RPMs also affect how hydraulics, etc., work to some extent.

So, I hardly do anything at less than 1800 or 1900 and don't hesitate to rev it up if I am doing something that takes some power or have the PTO engaged. The engine should be designed to run at the rated RPM all day long.

Good luck
Wxman

Last edited:

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, 2700 rpm. If you are running a mower or tiller especially, they need to run at the right rpm. A mower needs to throw the clippings out and won't do that well if you are just putting along. Even a simple thing as a plow needs some speed to get a good turn-over.

You actually save fuel running at the rated rpm. Horsepower and torque curves for diesels are nearly straight line from zero rpm to the peak at rated rpm. This means you get more work for the least amount of fuel at rated revs.

This is why so many gear ratios, keep the revs up and adjust the gears depending on the load to get the most work done, with the least strain on the rig.

With ear-plugs you don't mind the sound so much. Hearing protection is a good idea anyway.

steve l

Equipment
2 m9000,9540 all cabgmd700 kuhn 605m vermeer,r23a vermeer rake,468 jd baler,
Dec 29, 2010
bullard,texas 75757
Yeah, 2700 rpm. If you are running a mower or tiller especially, they need to run at the right rpm. A mower needs to throw the clippings out and won't do that well if you are just putting along. Even a simple thing as a plow needs some speed to get a good turn-over.

You actually save fuel running at the rated rpm. Horsepower and torque curves for diesels are nearly straight line from zero rpm to the peak at rated rpm. This means you get more work for the least amount of fuel at rated revs.

This is why so many gear ratios, keep the revs up and adjust the gears depending on the load to get the most work done, with the least strain on the rig.

With ear-plugs you don't mind the sound so much. Hearing protection is a good idea anyway.
going to fast while plowing or discing can also cause you to burn more fuel,because of wheel spin.thats one reason the old tractors pull so good and dont use a lot of fuel they had just enough power to keep tire spin at a minimum.most of the older tractors only had 4&5 speed transmissions

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Nobody I know discs slowly; if you're spinning your wheels with your disc, the disc is too big for your tractor.

What I said was match the gear to the load to regulate the speed and let the engine rev. The governor will throttle up from freewheel settings under high load peaks (roots, rocks). The momentum of a tractor at 2 mph might just snap through a root or push away that rock while the momentum at .5 mph is small and that root or rock may stop you and cause wheel spin.

This improved fuel economy and torque curves is why big-rigs get better mileage at 70 mph rather than 55 mph despite increased wind resistance.
Let 'em roll.

steve l

Equipment
2 m9000,9540 all cabgmd700 kuhn 605m vermeer,r23a vermeer rake,468 jd baler,
Dec 29, 2010
bullard,texas 75757
Nobody I know discs slowly; if you're spinning your wheels with your disc, the disc is too big for your tractor.

What I said was match the gear to the load to regulate the speed and let the engine rev. The governor will throttle up from freewheel settings under high load peaks (roots, rocks). The momentum of a tractor at 2 mph might just snap through a root or push away that rock while the momentum at .5 mph is small and that root or rock may stop you and cause wheel spin.

This improved fuel economy and torque curves is why big-rigs get better mileage at 70 mph rather than 55 mph despite increased wind resistance.
Let 'em roll.
i will agree with you on the speed and size of implement.i have a fl 120 freightliner with 515 hp cat 3406 e model that has 370 gears and pull a 48ft fruhauf float taht gets 5.5 mpg.it has 10 spd od that turns 1700 @75mph and 1650rpm at 55 mph IN 9TH(direct)so i dont really know about fuel about fuel consumption.i only haul hay with the truck 34 4x5.5.that fuel consumption is an average because i dont haul anything back.dont know what gross weight is maybe 65 or 70000gvw.the motor should be turning free as it has 890xxx on the odometerLOL.