Engine oil increasing

tkblevins

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 26, 2011
Morganton, NC
Have a B7100 HST with 736 hours. Slow leak into engine oil. How can tell if it is fuel or hydraulic oil. Looks like it is about 1 1/2 qts over full. Transmission fluid is down alittle but we have a few small leaks. Oil don't smell any different. If it is fuel will it smell like fuel? Think it might be hydraulic oil. Any tips? I saw other tips suggesting hydraulic pump seal. Is it hard to do? Does this tractor have more than one pump? Thanks!!!

tkblevins

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 26, 2011
Morganton, NC
Also forgot to mention. We recently used loader quite a bit spreading mulch and also used ripper to rip gargen. Would this cause increase in leak that we might not have noticed before. We have only had the tractor about 6 months and not used it hardly any. When we got it we changed all fluids and filters. Thanks!!!

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Have a B7100 HST with 736 hours. Slow leak into engine oil. How can tell if it is fuel or hydraulic oil. Looks like it is about 1 1/2 qts over full. Transmission fluid is down alittle but we have a few small leaks. Oil don't smell any different. If it is fuel will it smell like fuel? Think it might be hydraulic oil. Any tips? I saw other tips suggesting hydraulic pump seal. Is it hard to do? Does this tractor have more than one pump? Thanks!!!
I would think that if it was diesel the oil would smell like diesel considering that it has displaced almost half the original amount of oil in the crankcase. If there is no diesel smell it is likely hydraulic oil. One way to be sure is an oil analysis but I think it should be obvious.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Can you tell if the hydraulic level is down the same amount? It sure sounds like hydraulic oil.

tkblevins

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 26, 2011
Morganton, NC
Can you tell if the hydraulic level is down the same amount? It sure sounds like hydraulic oil.
I can't tell because it is down some but we have a few leaks with the loader and we have not been using it very much and have not checked it. Thanks!!!

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
This sounds so familiar.
I believe I have the same engine (D750) in my B7001.
Had the same problem, got to the point that the engine oil overflow was dripping blue fluid. Blue engine oil? Was a bad seal in the front hydraulic pump. That pump is driven by a keyway from the injector pump. The bad seal allowed the blue hyd. fluid into the gears of the fuel pump, and therefore into the crankcase and out the overflow.
You may be able to get by with just replacing the seal, but it could be a bad pump.

tkblevins

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 26, 2011
Morganton, NC
This sounds so familiar.
I believe I have the same engine (D750) in my B7001.
Had the same problem, got to the point that the engine oil overflow was dripping blue fluid. Blue engine oil? Was a bad seal in the front hydraulic pump. That pump is driven by a keyway from the injector pump. The bad seal allowed the blue hyd. fluid into the gears of the fuel pump, and therefore into the crankcase and out the overflow.
You may be able to get by with just replacing the seal, but it could be a bad pump.
Appreciate your recommendation very much. Is the location of the pump the same on a B7100? Will probably start with the seal and change the engine oil & filter and see what happens.. Thanks again!!!

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Sounds like the previous poster's have got this one identified! Wish I had asked sooner when I tackled the same problem a while back! ;)

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I have the B7100 shop manual here, I can get you the engine/fuel system pages, but I did not see any reference to the engine mount hydraulic pump. I can't see any reason for the pump to be anywhere else, or any other way that transmission fluid can get into the crankcase. Easy enough to follow the hydraulic lines to find the pump.
Send me a pm if you want the link to the manuals.
Stuart

tkblevins

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 26, 2011
Morganton, NC
I have the B7100 shop manual here, I can get you the engine/fuel system pages, but I did not see any reference to the engine mount hydraulic pump. I can't see any reason for the pump to be anywhere else, or any other way that transmission fluid can get into the crankcase. Easy enough to follow the hydraulic lines to find the pump.
Send me a pm if you want the link to the manuals.
Stuart
Was your oil very thin. Ours is very thin, black and smells like oil. Our hydraulic oil is clear so hard to tell. I would appreciate the link very much. My email is tkblevins1@gmail.com. Thanks!!!

ColdRider

Equipment
L3800 Hst,QA fel, B7200Hst,(sold) tiller, bushhog, finish mower, snow plow blade
Jan 23, 2011
Northern Maine
Hi, You only have 3 choices. Fuel, will be thin and smell like fuel, coolant, maybe thin and smell sweet, or the likely culprit, hydraulic fluid from the engine mounted pump.

Good luck with replacing the seal. It's easy to do on my old B7200. A bit tight to work on but do able. I replaced the seal and could see or feel no sign of damage to the shaft. It only lasted a short time and started filling the crankcase again. I rep[laced the whole pump and problem solved. Nothing a small wad of hundred dollar bills won't cure.

tkblevins

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 26, 2011
Morganton, NC
Hi, You only have 3 choices. Fuel, will be thin and smell like fuel, coolant, maybe thin and smell sweet, or the likely culprit, hydraulic fluid from the engine mounted pump.

Good luck with replacing the seal. It's easy to do on my old B7200. A bit tight to work on but do able. I replaced the seal and could see or feel no sign of damage to the shaft. It only lasted a short time and started filling the crankcase again. I rep[laced the whole pump and problem solved. Nothing a small wad of hundred dollar bills won't cure.
Iappreciate all the info! I've ordered a seal and will start from there. Hopefully that will do it. Thanks again!!!

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Don't want to add a little rain to your parade, but it may fail again soon. I had the same problem, the new seal held for about 15 hrs of use, then failed again. I was very bummed. Second time around I replaced the pump for $400. I think that just enough wear happens on that shaft, that it caused the seal to fail prematurely. I hope I am wrong with your tractor, as you have reasonably low hrs.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
Unless you have a micrometer or a nice set of dial calipers it will be hard to see the wear in a shaft (unless there is a noticeable mark or wear area) also slight wear in the bearings could cause it to wobble at higher speeds (again hard to test or see with proper tooling) it only takes a few thousandths of an inch of play or wear to wipe out a seal in a pump.Unless the seal physically failed (cuts, tears, tension band came out etc) chances are the pump needs a rebuild, or replacement.Does any one know the pump brand,model ,build codes etc, (they are not " Kubota ") they would be like a Vickers, Eaton, Haldex, you probably find a replacement pump from companies like Hydraulic supply company they also do rebuilds of pumps and components as well, I have used them for years in the various industries I have worked in.