engine dies without letting out clutch?

xcoastie

Equipment
2008 B-7510 w/bucket and hoe
Sep 9, 2011
Northern UT
Hello All,
I have a B7510 manual trans and I was using it this morning with no issues. Well I asked my wife if she would like to drive it and went over everything prior to moving tractor. She put it in reverse and let the clutch out and it died. I told her she had to give it some gas, she does know how to drive a stick car so I got the look, again same thing.
So I jump on it and when I put it in gear without letting out the clutch she dies?
It has gas
is not hot
the only thing I can think of is I moved the seat to a closer position for her, moved it back for me? Anything electrical under the seat?
Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Don't know your machine intimately but my guess is an interlocked safety switch just happened to fail at that moment or is somehow jammed into wrong position--possibly by seat movement.

One of my later ones has a seat safety that will not allow operator to leave seat or shuts down. Look for something similar. There is a procedure on mine to defeat this and use PTO without an operator seated: see your manual. Come to think of it check the PTO safety switch too.

Otherwise look for safety switches on parking brake and/or clutch.

If not under the seat you'll need a schematic and an analog needle-swing multimeter for a successful hunt.

Good luck and post back your determination and how resolved.

xcoastie

Equipment
Sep 9, 2011
Northern UT
Hey Stubbyie,
That was it when I moved the seat it it must have moved the wires so I unplugged and cleaned the contacts put it all back together and presto she moves.
Thanks for the reply

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Thanks for posting back the resolution.

I had one safety switch wire that continued to get in the way. I had to use a plastic cable tie (zip tie) to keep it pulled back out of the way.

Something else: when cleaning and reconnecting plugs and / switches I use a tiny dab of silicone dielectric grease (sometimes packaged as 'bulb' grease) on each terminal. Keeps it all dry and clean and makes disassembly and therefore life easier in the future.

I think "oil" or hydrocarbon-based grease including vaseline will over time weaken the plastic hull of the plug and wire insulation and also tends to drip and run in hot environments.

Glad you worked it out.

xcoastie

Equipment
Sep 9, 2011
Northern UT
Hello Stubbyie,
Yes on the dielectric grease had some left over from an old 62 Impala SS used to have, stuff does work well.
Again thanks for the help
Jeff