Emissions DPF Question

OrangeCrush

Lifetime Member
Mar 24, 2014
Crane Hill, AL
Have read on a couple of posts that there are problems with the new cleaner emissions engines. I am looking at the B2650 which does not have the DPF. Are the concerns more related to the DPF or the cleaner emissions engines? Does anyone have any feedback they can give me on the B2650?

Thanks!

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
It sucks that the EPA is forcing this on the tractors now. I have a 2011 Cummins with the new emissions with a DPF. It really impacts the power and fuel consumption not to mention a host of other issues.

I wonder how these tractors are going to clear out the DPF when they get full.

I'm glad I got mine now before the new engines come out. I think these newer pre emission tractors will become highly sought after with better resale.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
My dealer brought in all B2650's for that reason OrangeCrush. Haven't seen any problems with them so far. It's the DPF's that are the problem.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Diesels using DPF underground for years, and while there maybe a bit of power loss due to the EPA regs the big issue is the filter it self,, as it get dirty it plugs up and will greatly reduce power from the engine, ( remember air in = air out thus needing a new filter or cleaning the old one. Under ground it was required at 100 hours, and some more maintenance, a little more often I don't know how this will effect the new ones but like anything else out there somebody will figure out a way to by pass them,,, coal miners and farmers are great for that...lol

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
I was told the smaller horsepower engines are not producing the needed heat for the pdf for regenertion.

DPF Operation
DPFs work by physically trapping and removing
particulate matter (PM) from the engine’s exhaust. The
DPF can accumulate and combust PM within the filter
element to achieve greater than 85 percent reductions in
PM emissions. The combustion of PM in a filter occurs
during regeneration. During normal operation a DPF will
cause fluctuations in exhaust backpressure as PM is
accumulated. Consequently, a DPF is used in conjunction
with an exhaust backpressure monitoring system.

Last edited:

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
That's was how it was explained to me when I asked. If it's wrong, please clarify / explain for me, so I know for next time. I'm still learning here.

The cat site says it basically needs heat to burn up the diesel particulate matter at time of regeneration which I take, means after so many operating hours, the pdf cycle to burn off the pm will kick in which brings in the term regenerating.

I added the cat pdf operation paragraph to my post above.

Last edited:

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
That's was how it was explained to me when I asked. If it's wrong, please clarify / explain for me, so I know for next time. I'm still learning here.

The cat site says it basically needs heat to burn up the diesel particulate matter at time of regeneration which I take, means after so many operating hours, the pdf cycle to burn off the pm will kick in which brings in the term regenerating.

Your theory is sound. The acronyms are in error.
PDF: Portable Document Format
DPF: Diesel Particulate Filter

plumcrazy704406

Mar 11, 2014
toronto
that's funny!! I use pdf's a ton everyday and it's a natural for me, but I didn't pick up on it in Wolfmans post, lol. So at least now in theory, I know have to get adobe to change their file format so I can be human.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana

My 2010 f550 will flat choke you too death when regenerating the dpf. It smells like burning asphalt shingles. I hate the new diesel emissions stuff. I sold my new duramax and bought a 2000 f250 and completely rebuilt the thing for a daily driver. I was only running around 375hp in new duramax and getting 13 mpg. My 2000 f250 running 500hp gets 19-21 with no emissions equipment at all. And no it does not do the white trash smoke outs. The 10' ford gets 7mpg. I like the old diesels. My 1056 case has the pump turned up 15% and it's a beast.

Reactions: 1 user

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
DPF aint new, neither is PDF by the way. Our Kubs aren't using the dreaded exhaust fluid yet. If your filter gets to a point where it wont regen anymore I found that the local Cummins shops can bake em and refresh em. They've been doing it to commercial vehicles for years. They can bake any filter to clean it to almost new for about $150 in COS. While my tractor is new (<50hrs) its going to hit a point some time in the future where the DPF needs to be replaced or baked hot enough to clean it completely. The thing I'd like to figure out is whether the regen is a time based thing on our tractors or if its a sensor thing. If I yank it and have it baked, will the computer freak out and think I need to regen anyway? inquiring minds want to know the logic in the ECU for a regen...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I don't know but the diesels used underground at least on the new ones have sensors that detect the back pressure the temp and the O2 ,CO2, NO2 and a few other gases so yeah it might freek out but you know somebody is going to find a way:rolleyes:

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
I don't know but the diesels used underground at least on the new ones have sensors that detect the back pressure the temp and the O2 ,CO2, NO2 and a few other gases so yeah it might freek out but you know somebody is going to find a way:rolleyes:
I would really like to see a dpf delete kit with may e a ECM flash to fool it. Like the ones on trucks the Feds are having a fit over. I deleted all emissions off my 05 duramax and 00 powerstroke. I would think one of these little tractors would be a bit easier.

Reactions: 1 user