Electrical Connectors

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi All. The electrical harness in my L35 is a mess and I'm in process of repairing it.

Two questions about connectors:
---Does anyone have a source for various kinds of electrical connectors?
---Is there a sort of dictionary that lists the names of such - like PAL, MOLEX, etc?

Here's the thing; my L35 is needing a coolant temp sensor (Part 16415-83040) and the connector is missing. Indeed the electrical wiring in the beast is a mess.
While I can rewire accordingly substituting things and using experience and prayer, I'd like to use OEM where I can.

I've been looking around and my trouble is many times I don't know what to call connectors.

1659265922282.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
DIGIKEY is a great source to buy 'connectors', dealt with them for decades. The problem is determining the mfr and series of 'connector'. Using digital calipers you can 'ballpark' the dimensions,but then the 'details' like 'keys' and pin size and locks come into play.
I doubt Kubota will say whose connectors they use,maybe someone knows ? There may be some kind of markings on the green connector to help ? If there's a similar connector in the wiring harness, clean and look with magnifying glass. ANY markings will help.

BTW that's a '2 pole' connector, with flat pins.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi All. The electrical harness in my L35 is a mess and I'm in process of repairing it.

---Is there a sort of dictionary that lists the names of such - like PAL, MOLEX, etc?

Here's the thing; my L35 is needing a coolant temp sensor (Part 16415-83040) and the connector is missing. Indeed the electrical wiring in the beast is a mess.
While I can rewire accordingly substituting things and using experience and prayer, I'd like to use OEM where I can.

I've been looking around and my trouble is many times I don't know what to call connectors.

View attachment 84539
Sometimes it seems there are more types and styles of automotive connectors than stars in the Milky Way.

The big challenge is IDing what you have.

A few good sources (there are many) are Allied, Mouser, and Digikey.

Good luck on your quest for the Grail.

Dan

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I agree with Jay and theoldhokie that Digikey and Allied are good sources although Mouser is my personal favorite. I have bought several hundred dollars of components from Mouser every year for a few decades and the service has always been excellent. Mouser used to also send out a print catalog and it may still be available either by request or at least a PDF download from the website. If so it will be very handy to use as a "mug book" for trying to identify unknown connectors.

But one problem you will run into is not only are connector manufacturers often sold to new companies resulting in a change in name even if there is name/company info in a service manual/part list, they also become obsolete with new series introduced at a rapid pace making it very difficult sometimes to replace older connectors and the L35 design is a couple of decades old.

You may find that new component suppliers don't carry some styles anymore because they have long been out of production. It can be a painful search, but Ebay is sometimes a good source for finding otherwise impossible to find stock/OEM connectors. I restore vintage ham radio gear and the connectors, even for fairly recent vintage gear, can be a real pain to find. Hirose is a Japanese based multinational that remains a big player in the electrical interconnect field and a couple of years ago I had to buy a couple of their connectors that were very popular during the late 1970s through late 1980s in everything from some Japanese ham gear through professional video and test equipment. I finally found a couple from a marine salvage place in Italy via ebay, the alternative was a S. Korean firm who produces these now obsolete pieces at over $1,000 per connector with a minimum order of 100 which is a bit much for a connector assembly that sold for $2 when it was a current item.

You will also find that many connectors are sold as "kits" where you buy the shell, pins, and sockets separately and some of the shells will vary in material and construction based upon the specific application (i.e. environmental resistance requirements for heat, moisture, oil/fuel resistance, etc.) So what looks like a compatible male or female shale in a series may not mate with the other side because of subtle differences in material/design and if it does physically fit it still may not stand up to the rough environment found in a tractor. For this reason, a lot of people working with older cars and machinery will do a neat replacement of the existing side of the connector and also the missing side with a current production pair unless they are going for a museum quality restoration.

Rodger

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Kubota may sell the harness in pieces (front,rear,middle...) which would be the easiest way to get it straight and correct but also the most expensive probably.

For my old L185 the whole harness was a couple hundred dollars for all the parts (minimal wiring on my tractor)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Kubota may sell the harness in pieces (front,rear,middle...) which would be the easiest way to get it straight and correct but also the most expensive probably.

For my old L185 the whole harness was a couple hundred dollars for all the parts (minimal wiring on my tractor)
I will add that when end A on a harness breaks with age its an early warning sign that other pieces in that harness are aging as well ...

Dan

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The search can be narrowed to manageable with 1) it is a Japanese connector; 2) it goes on a motorcycle or ATV.

With these search terms a few specialty vendors will be found with pictures and ID of the connectors. That's the fastest way I know. Digikey, Mouser, and Allied are good sources, but they have hundreds of thousands of connectors to choose.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

View attachment 84539
I used connector experts.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Interestingly, that looks like the coolant temp sensor from my Yamaha. My net is Kubota is using JDM connectors. I have had pretty good success with these guys. Often, with a couple photos and a measurement or two they have hooked me up. For my Ford, I was able to quickly get some connectors, pins and seals to wire in auxiliary flood/ turn/ running lights without cutting any factory wire.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Interestingly, that looks like the coolant temp sensor from my Yamaha. My net is Kubota is using JDM connectors. I have had pretty good success with these guys. Often, with a couple photos and a measurement or two they have hooked me up. For my Ford, I was able to quickly get some connectors, pins and seals to wire in auxiliary flood/ turn/ running lights without cutting any factory wire.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it were. What year and model is it?
I might find a connector via another method! Honda motorcycles and cars share parts so heck, why not?

I got as quote from Connector Experts for $57+ Shipping! (and yes! it does come with pigtails) for 1 connector!! Hmmmm, I think I'll keep looking.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I got as quote from Connector Experts for $57+ Shipping! (and yes! it does come with pigtails) for 1 connector!! Hmmmm, I think I'll keep looking.
I looked there for some 9 pin connectors for another brand tractor, the prices were beyond belief.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it were. What year and model is it?
I might find a connector via another method! Honda motorcycles and cars share parts so heck, why not?

Eeek! That's pricey!
I've got a 2016 Yamaha R6. But zooming in on your part, the plastic looks thicker than my temp sensor. Almost twice as thick. Hard to say.
It's always a pain finding these types of things.