Electric Snow shute rotation modification

HermTDI

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Jan 13, 2013
Richomnd, Maine us
This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to share my pending project.
First the tractor and snow-blower info:
Kubota GR-2120 3 cyl diesel
Snow-blower: 46" GR 2728

Living in Maine this set-up so far (this yesr) has been sweet.
The shute rotation crank is less than useless :eek:

Ive checked out options for the electrical rotation package and its over $550.00....wrong!

Howerver I have looked into information on user/owner projects to address this problem. Several of the projects that I've looked at were good but lacked specific information on the materials and parts used.
This is what I would like to share.

The electrical window motor is what I'm going to use. There 1000's of options on this part but I wanted something that could be easily and inexpensively replaced if needed.
I opted for a Chevy truck window motor.
I got two (2) of these motors new from e-bay for $35.00 shipping included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310490163297?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

1992-1996 Pontiac Trans Sport

The price is right but more important is fitment and installation.
this motor has a 12 tooth sprocket. Using a 13/16th deep socket is a perfect fit for this sprocket. Using a 3/8th Dr universal to attach to another deep socket to slip over the rotator shank. This shank already has a hole through it.
By drilling a hole through the socket a bolt can then pass through the socket and secure the motor drive to the rotator shank.

I like this motor for the fact that the 13/16" socket will work for the drive output without any welding or modding the motor which only adds more time and further comlicates the project....simple is always better.

The switch is a RadioShack DPDT (#275-0709) switch.
I wanted momentary on for both sides of the switch with the center position "off" this switch fits my needs.

As I move forward with this project I'll update this thread and figure out how to post photos.

Any and all advice or insights would be appreciated

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well first off welcome to the world of Orange,,lol,, sounds like you have it pretty well thought out,,,, but something you should know,, this bunch likes PICTURES, cause what you did might give someon else an idea too

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Doing a chain drive to the chute? Should be straight forward but make sure you water proof the seams on the motor well. If fact once you're happy with everything I'd paint it with a heavy urethane paint like they use on snow plows. That'll stand up to some abuse and be good and water tight. A little silicone would be good in the plug area too.

Oh and to post pics you need to resize and upload it to a picture hosting website first. I use postimage.org because you can do both at the sametime. Click the browse button, select your picture (or click the many images link to do more than one at once), select the resize as 640x480 or 800x600 and upload. Then once your picture is up click the show codes link under it and copy the direct link. In the post writing area click the insert image icon and paste your link.