Early first service B2601

Jb5552

Equipment
B2601
Apr 12, 2022
WI
I have about 30 hours on the meter and have to bring the tractor in for warranty work. Is that too early to have the first service (50 hour) done? Is there a downside to getting the first service early?

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Did it at 13 hours on my first tractor. Seemed to be no problems. That certainly did not make the driveshaft Ujoint blow up (JD).

Reactions: 1 user

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I did mine just before the 50 hour mark. Doing the service early certainly wont hurt anything other than your wallet. You ever think about doing it yourself and saving some cash? There are plenty of videos on youtube that shows you the steps.

Reactions: 1 user

FarmtoLake

Equipment
Kubota LX2610
Jan 13, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I just bought the filters, oil and grease to do my 50 hour first service. I have 46.5 hours on my LX2610. I phoned ahead and had my wife pick up the parts while she was near the dealership. I plan to do the service over Easter weekend. Youtube is excellent. I also verified with the dealer that the warranty remains intact as long as you save the receipts and take a few pictures. One thing that shocked me was the price of a 12 Oz spray can of touch up paint that I bought to paint the metal of the snow blower chute. I will be returning the can if the price is correct. I refuse to pay $88.24 for one 12 Oz can of paint. is this price normal for Kubota touch up paint or did the dealer charge me for a case?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Even $20 is a lot if one just wants to cover paint loss inside a snowblower chute. Just get some orange paint at a hardware store.

Reactions: 1 users

Lycomech96

Equipment
B2601, loader, backhoe
Nov 12, 2018
Williamsport, PA, USA
I just bought the filters, oil and grease to do my 50 hour first service. I have 46.5 hours on my LX2610. I phoned ahead and had my wife pick up the parts while she was near the dealership. I plan to do the service over Easter weekend. Youtube is excellent. I also verified with the dealer that the warranty remains intact as long as you save the receipts and take a few pictures. One thing that shocked me was the price of a 12 Oz spray can of touch up paint that I bought to paint the metal of the snow blower chute. I will be returning the can if the price is correct. I refuse to pay $88.24 for one 12 Oz can of paint. is this price normal for Kubota touch up paint or did the dealer charge me for a case?
Look at Tractor Supply for a very close match to Kubota. So close, nobody can tell the difference. I used some and I can't.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have about 30 hours on the meter and have to bring the tractor in for warranty work. Is that too early to have the first service (50 hour) done? Is there a downside to getting the first service early?
It's interesting how companies come up with maintenance schedules. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when Kubota came up with 50 hours for the first service or why they say to change the oil and oil filter, transmission filter and hydraulic oil filter but not the hydraulic oil. I'm not saying that I have a problem with any of this, just interested in how these decisions are made.

One would hope that 50 hours is some kind of optimal service interval where Kubota is maximizing the service life of expensive components, maximizing the amount of production related contamination that's removed from the tractor, and minimizing the potential for immediate or future damage to an expensive piece of equipment.

I did the 50 hour service at 49.6 hours on the MX I sold recently. The new MX is rapidly approaching 50 hours so will do that soon. One of the recommendations I try to follow religiously with a new tractor is varying the rpm and load for the first 50 hours. This winter I've done that pushing and blowing snow. Maybe it's imagined, maybe not, but I'm sure that the tractor sounds better and better over those initial 50 hours.

Reactions: 1 users

FarmtoLake

Equipment
Kubota LX2610
Jan 13, 2022
Ontario, Canada
update on my paint price situation. I called the dealer first thing this morning to challenge the paint price and sure enough they charged me for the wrong product and quickly refunded the difference.

FarmtoLake

Equipment
Kubota LX2610
Jan 13, 2022
Ontario, Canada
It's interesting how companies come up with maintenance schedules. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when Kubota came up with 50 hours for the first service or why they say to change the oil and oil filter, transmission filter and hydraulic oil filter but not the hydraulic oil. I'm not saying that I have a problem with any of this, just interested in how these decisions are made.

One would hope that 50 hours is some kind of optimal service interval where Kubota is maximizing the service life of expensive components, maximizing the amount of production related contamination that's removed from the tractor, and minimizing the potential for immediate or future damage to an expensive piece of equipment.

I did the 50 hour service at 49.6 hours on the MX I sold recently. The new MX is rapidly approaching 50 hours so will do that soon. One of the recommendations I try to follow religiously with a new tractor is varying the rpm and load for the first 50 hours. This winter I've done that pushing and blowing snow. Maybe it's imagined, maybe not, but I'm sure that the tractor sounds better and better over those initial 50 hours.
In my opinion an early first service is essential to remove tiny pieces of metal flakes and fines that wear off when new mechanical parts mesh. The filters capture the particles, while the oil is typically still clean. When I serviced heavy mobile equipment (mining off highway vehicles with 400T capacity) we often put very strong magnet plugs into the gear cases to attract the metal filings. This significantly extends the life of the equipment.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Does anyone know if a kubota magnetic drain plug is available. Can I just us a strong magnet on the bottom of the pans? My 50 hour is coming up I got the filters and udt at the dealer on monday. I intend to change the UDT oil never did a filter change without also doing the oil in my life except in the hot tub once.

edit -- nevermind I see amazon has magnetic drain plugs does anyone know the size of the drain plugs on the 2301 for the oil and the 2 for the hst

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In my opinion an early first service is essential to remove tiny pieces of metal flakes and fines that wear off when new mechanical parts mesh. The filters capture the particles, while the oil is typically still clean. When I serviced heavy mobile equipment (mining off highway vehicles with 400T capacity) we often put very strong magnet plugs into the gear cases to attract the metal filings. This significantly extends the life of the equipment.
I understand the reason for a service early on, my point was why 50 hours rather than say 20 hours, 30 hours etc?

FarmtoLake

Equipment
Kubota LX2610
Jan 13, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I understand the reason for a service early on, my point was why 50 hours rather than say 20 hours, 30 hours etc?
I would guess it is based on statistics of the typical number of hours that the filter would catch any filings and the number of hours when the burrs and filings would work their way off the gears, etc.