bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
64D8AB8F-571F-4203-B335-57870E960A50.jpg

DDBC0AC1-B2AB-4705-87C2-4CD252703C24.jpg

17F1ACE2-BD26-4F39-AF44-ED8C1BE8E8F3.jpg

Found a place that does major highway projects, so when they replace the metal and wood K rails, they give the used parts away for free. 8”x8”x6’ long) This is my second load of Ties, and they stack so well when making shooting backstops. I cleared a road thru a thin spot in the forest, looking out the back of a covered equipment carport. Stacked every one with the Grapple on my BX. What a life saver! An impact and a pile of lag bolts, it should out live me. Now there’s safe practice ranges at 50’, 100’, 150’ and 300’

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
That is awesome. You must live on the "Left Coast." :)

Having access to free stuff like that is a dream. I have a buddy in New Hampshire who owned one of those trailer mounted saw mills. He would get calls to remove trees and had free wood to feed this thing. He would cut-stack-and season the wood for later use. He ended up burning some softwood he had seasoned because nobody wanted it up there. It was nearly as large in dimension as your ties.

Out here in AZ it would have been gold.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
That is nice, the max we can currently shoot is 100 yds. My backstop is due for a little TLC, need to haul in 5 or 6 scoops of dirt to build it up some more.

We took 2 6x6 and buried upright in the ground about 8' apart then ran a 6x6 across the top and attached to the uprights. We have 2 12" steel plates and 1 6" plate hanging by chains from the horizontal 6x6.

I have some signs that realtors use that I put plywood in the center we using to staple targets to for finer shooting and sighting in.

Time to bring out the deer rifles to ensure they are still true before the season starts.

Again nice setup.

Jay

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Funny story...

A buddy in Ohio has a 60 acre farm. The back edge where his new backstop was backs up on forest, which runs another 1/4mi to the edge of his property.

A super competent shooter, he was zeroing in his new Barrett 50 cal and shot three rounds. When he went down to the new backstop, no hits! He finally got it zeroed but still cannot account for those three rounds.

Be safe out there!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That's a cool backstop Mike. Although it is legal to shoot where I live it is not safe for anything more than a .22, in my opinion. Farther down the road from me there are much larger properties between 20 and 40 acres where it would be much safer to shoot. Once in awhile I hear some neighbors complain about the few gunshots we hear each week and I almost always remind them that it is legal to shoot here so quit complaining. Those are city folks that moved to the country and now are complaining about animals, shooting, smells from the farms and tractors on the roads. Oh well, that's life among the dopey dummies from the city, I guess.

I hope that you have fun with that range of yours. You are lucky to have one and be able to use it.